Chapter 12 *Operation DIPANTHUA!*

X.kuse

 

 

Hello you lovely people!! ^^

HAVE SOME BAGELS!!! XD (finally)

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Els was standing in the shower, trying to wash the sleep from her face. She wished she could’ve slept a little longer like her friends but she’d woken up around nine in the morning; the reason being that her phone was beeping. It was Baekhyun asking whether she wanted to have breakfast together since he’d awakened really early and he didn’t want to have breakfast alone. Now usually, Els wouldn’t be too happy with this kind of a wakeup call but the small fact that it was Baekhyun asking to hang out made her forget about the early hour. She got out of the shower, put on some fresh, comfortable clothes and walked out into the living room to find the boy sitting at her kitchen table already.

 

“How did you get in here?” Els asked confused. Baekhyun just smiled happily at her. “You crazy girls need to remember to lock your door after you come home from a wild party like last night.” He chuckled.

 

“You make it sound like we were wasted!” Els mocked and she sat down next to him. He had already set the table and everything. She wondered how long he’d been hanging out at the girl’s dorm but she shrugged it off and poured herself glass of milk.  

 

“So, did you have fun last night?” Baekhyun asked before putting a spoonful of cornflakes in his mouth. He didn’t look tired at all. Els wondered where this kid got his energy from.

 

“Of course” Els smiled, thinking of the night before. “It’s not something girls like us get to do every day.”

 

“Well, I’m sure there’ll be more chances like this for you.” Baekhyun replied, still stuffing himself with food.

 

Then, all of a sudden he jumped up a little, as if he’d just remembered something. “Oh! Anyways, I need your help.” He said, his face turning to a wide grin. “I have this plan.”

 

Els frowned suspiciously. “A plan?” She repeated unsurely.

 

“Yes, a plan.” He smiled wickedly. “A plan concerning one of your friends.”

 

Els just stared blankly at Baekhyun, expecting him to explain further.

 

Baekhyun was still smiling like an idiot when he declaimed proudly. “It is called: Operation DIPANTHUA!”

 

“Okay” Els frowned, looking a little worried now. “You’ve lost me.”

 

“Operation DIPANTHUA!” He squealed excitedly. “as in ‘Operation Delly Is Perfect And Needs To Hook Up Already!’”

 

Els’ continued to stare at the boy before her. She had no idea what exactly this plan meant but she knew it would be ridiculous, considering it came from Baekhyun and it was called ‘Operation freaking DIPANTHUA!’.

 

So basically, Baekhyun and Chanyeol had worked out a little scheme together the previous night to try and couple up Kelly and DO (Delly, for short) and naturally, they’d come up with pretty much the most cliché way to do so. The plan was to set them up on a date.

 

Els was pretty skeptical about the whole thing. First of all, she was pretty sure Kelly would see through the entire thing and secondly, she doubted that pushing the two into a ‘date’ would make them confess their undying love for each other. Baekhyun on the other hand seemed very sure of his plan and was now pleading Els to help him realize it.

 

“Please! I need your cooperation!” He pouted. “I’ll reward you! I’ll buy you something! Please, please, please!”

 

Els finally sighed and smiled. “Fine! What do you want me to do?”

 

“Ooh thank you!” He yelled and he came up and gave her a quick hug. “It’s not much, I promise! You just need to invite Kelly to dinner on Saturday. Just tell her a bunch of us are getting together.” Els nodded.

 

“And then” He went on. “I need you to take her with you to the café. Kyungsoo and I will be waiting there and then; all we have to do is figure out an excuse to leave, so that Delly can be on their own! Simple!” He was beaming at the sound of his own plan.

 

“Baekhyun I don’t think-”

 

“Oh and then we’ll spy on them together!”

 

“This is never going to work.”

 

“Yes it will! You just wait!”

 

He thanked Els again, hugging her and promising to buy her something nice as a reward for her cooperation. Then he helped her clean up the kitchen a bit and left for his dorm.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Despite not really believing in Baekhyun’s crazy plan, Els did as she was told and invited Kelly out to dinner that day. Already, she came across some issues. Riki and Sen had overheard the conversation and they wanted to know why they weren’t invited. Great, now these two need to get involved too. Els thought, now obliged to ask them along. This plan was getting more complicated by the minute.

 

She explained the entire thing to Riki and Sen whilst Kelly was in the shower. Of course the two were just as excited about the plan as Baekhyun had been. It seemed like everyone was shipping DO and Kelly (or as they were now known behind their backs: Delly). Els had to admit, they were sort of adorable.

 

The remainder of the week was fairly uneventful. The girls went to training daily and went to sleep early; that was pretty much all there was to it. They barely got to see the EXO boys, as they were extremely busy with promotions.

 

Even more, on Monday EXO-M left for China for ten days. This was quite the problem for Sen, who didn’t want to have to miss her spanking new boyfriend; even if it was just for ten days. Kris had come to the dorm very early in the morning to say goodbye to Sen before leaving. The couple had taken over twenty minutes to part and the entirety of EXO-M had ended up late at the airport.

 

On Tuesday, the girls were called in by their severe dance instructor Noah, to monitor their live performance. He was surprisingly positive; suspicious almost. He said everyone did a great job and that he’d be happy to work with any of them in the future. Els wasn’t too sure she wanted to work with him any time soon though.

 

By Friday, the girls were tired of the boring lifestyle they’d practiced all week and they decided to have a girl’s night. They invited their friends Yumi and Yeon Hee as well. They played around with make-up and pretended to be idols in a music video. Then, they ordered sushi and fantasized about what life would be like if they ever debuted. In the end, they all fell asleep after watching some Korean drama.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The next day was D-day, as Baekhyun liked to call it. He called Els around noon to make sure everything was set up perfectly for the evening. He was way too excited about the entire thing but Els didn’t mind; it was kind of cute. It was probably the reason why she secretly really enjoyed doing this with him. She was still completely convinced the plan wouldn’t work in a million years but seeing Baekhyun’s happy face made her want to try anyways. Also, she wanted to prove him wrong.

 

At seven o’clock, Els, Riki, Sen and Kelly left their dorm and headed for the café. So far so good. Els thought. Now it’s time for part one of the plan to be put in motion.

 

She waited patiently and then-

 

“I can’t do this anymore!” Sen screamed out all of a sudden, stopping dead in her tracks on the pavement and burying her face in her hands. Kelly turned around instantly. “What’s wrong?” She asked confused.

 

Sen’s voice was somewhat muffled from the hands covering her face but she still managed to wail out. “I want my Kris!” She burst into tears.

 

Els saw Riki run back towards Sen and putting her arms around her. “Don’t worry Sennie; he’ll be back in just a few days.” she said.

 

“But I want him now!” Sen grumbled dramatically. It was obvious Kelly was freaked out by Sen’s unexpected temper tantrum but Els didn’t think she was on to them just yet. Sen, in the meantime, was getting more and more theatrical, flailing her arms around and weeping on Riki’s shoulder. They needed to wrap this up soon, before Kelly would become suspicious.

 

“Why don’t you two head back to the dorm for a little.” Els suggested. “You can always join us a little later.”

 

Riki nodded her head quickly. “Yeah and I’ll come with you Sen! You surely can’t be alone right now! Well, you two go on without us! Okay bye!” She rambled and then she turned around at once, dragging a fake-sobbing Sen behind her and disappearing into the distance.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“That was weird.” Kelly said, breaking the silence between them.

 

“Yeah well, we’ve got some weird friends.” Els shrugged it off quickly and started walking; hoping Kelly wouldn’t bring it up again.

 

They got to the café that was right next to the SM Entertainment building. DO and Baekhyun were waiting by the entrance. The girls joined them and they said their hellos.

 

“Where’s everyone else?” Kelly said a little surprised. Baekhyun just smiled widely at her. “A lot of the guys couldn’t make it but don’t worry; the four of us will have a great time!” It astonished Els how well he deflected Kelly’s questions. He was certainly a lot more natural than Sen and Riki had been a few minutes ago.

 

Once inside, they took their seats and ordered drinks. Els actually had no idea what the next part of the plan was. She and Baekhyun still needed an excuse to leave and all Baekhyun had said on the phone was “Don’t worry about a thing; I got it all covered. Just follow my lead.”

 

Low and behold, about five minutes after they’d sat down Baekhyun’s phone began to ring. The moment he answered it, his face turned grim. “Are you serious? ... A fire? … Chanyeol, what the hell man?!” He yelled in a frustrated tone.

 

Both DO and Kelly were looking perplexed so Els decided to mimic their expression to blend in. Baekhyun put away his phone and turned to the group at the table. “Chanyeol tried to cook and he burned down the kitchen.”

 

“What?!” DO yelled out in shock, his eyes the size of golf balls. “My kitchen!” He went to stand up but Baekhyun was right ahead of him.

 

“No!” He said hastily. “You stay here, you’ve worked hard today. Besides, Chanyeol is my responsibility. I’ll handle it. I guarantee your kitchen will be okay by the time you get back. Come on Els.”

 

With that said, he got up and grabbed Els by the wrist to follow him out the door.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Really? Chanyeol burnt down the kitchen? That’s your master excuse?” Els laughed when they were outside. “That’s horrible!”

 

“Oh come on, it wasn’t that bad. Besides, we got out fine! My plan totally worked!” He replied cheerily, peering into the window to see whether he could spot DO and Kelly.

 

“Oh it’s not over yet.” Els came by his side, smirking. “Your plan only works if they actually get together tonight; which they won’t.”

 

Baekhyun turned his head to face Els. “Well, you just wait. Delly will be a thing by the end of this night, I can assure you.”

 

Els rolled her eyes at him. “You’re way too confident. How are we supposed to check whether anything happens anyways? I don’t feel like standing out in the cold for an hour.”

 

Baekhyun thought for a moment, running his hand through his hair. “Good point.” Then, his face lit up. “I know! I guess we’ll just have to have a little date of our own! We just need to make sure we get a good table so that we can spy on them.”

 

“Baekhyun, I just ate.” Els tried but the boy was already dragging her into the café again. They tried to be as invisible as possible as they scurried through the room, spotting a little table by the window. It was the perfect table because there was a decorative plant next to it. This way, they could peer through the plant without DO and Kelly noticing.

 

Because the both of them had actually already eaten, they ordered from the kids menu. The waiter gave them a funny look before leaving their table.

 

“So” Baekhyun started, raising his glass. “To Operation DIPANTHUA!” He cheered. Els smiled, put her glass to his and added. “The ridiculous plan that will never work!”

 

Baekhyun laughed. “Oh come on, look at them!” He said, pushing the plant aside a little. “They’re having a great time.”

 

Els peeked her head through the plant and saw that indeed, Delly seemed to be having a spiffing good time. “Mhmm” She mumbled. Still, she didn’t want to give Baekhyun the pleasure of being right so she added swiftly. “Still doesn’t mean anything though.” Baekhyun scowled at her momentarily before going back to his usual smile.

 

The main intent for getting dinner at the café had been to spy on Delly. However, as the night went along, Els completely forgot about the pair at the other side of the room. Not that she minded though. It was nice to have this alone time with Baekhyun. She’d considered him a good friend before but it was only tonight that she felt like she really got to know him. He talked about a lot of personal stuff, including childhood and trainee memories. Mostly though, he asked her a lot of questions. It was like he wanted to know every little thing about her; where she used to live, what it was like there, what her family was like, whether she had ever had any pets, what her favorite song ever was, how many children she wanted… the list went on. Now, if any other guy would do this, Els would probably be creeped out as hell but she knew Baekhyun better than that. She figured it was part of his extremely social disposition.

 

With all this talking and having a good time and all, Els was really lucky she even noticed DO and Kelly leaving. She jumped in her seat when she suddenly saw the couple heading for the door. She cut off Baekhyun’s story about the time he dressed up like a Greek goddess for a school play by shouting. “Baekhyun, they’re leaving!”

 

The two quickly arose from their seats and sprinted towards the door. That’s when Els realized. “We haven’t paid yet!”

 

“Oh shoot!” Baekhyun said and he went to find a waiter.

 

A minute later he returned, ushering Els out of the room hastily. When they got outside, Els was hit by a cold breeze. Fall was definitely on its way. She zipped up her jacket a little higher. “Come on.” Baekhyun said. “They can’t be far ahead.” He took Els’ hand in his and started walking a fast pace.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

After a minute or so, they found Kelly and DO walking ahead of them. They followed from a safe distance.

 

“Come on, Kyungsoo! Just hold her hand!” Baekhyun muttered annoyed under his breath. “It’s not that hard!” Els smiled as she felt her own hand being caressed by Baekhyun’s.

 

“You’re really into this huh?” She chuckled, looking up at him.

 

“They’re just so cute together!” Baekhyun answered. “Don’t you think so?”

 

“Well, yeah.” She thought for a moment. “All this pushing though… I just don’t know if it’s right.”

 

Baekhyun raised his eyebrows. “But…it’s so romantic! You don’t like that kind of stuff?”  He looked astounded.

 

Els smiled. “Well, I really do actually… I guess I’m just not that expressive when it comes to romance.”

 

“Oh” Baekhyun said plainly. They walked in silence for a moment when he spoke up again. “Well, I am!” He yelled and he put his arm around her shoulder dramatically. It looked really silly and it made the both of them burst out in laughter. They were only just in time to hide before getting caught by DO and Kelly, who had turned around form all the noise. Baekhyun had pulled the two of them in a little alleyway. He was still laughing. “Shut up!” Els murmured, even though she was laughing as well. “You’re gonna get us caught!”

 

“It’s fine, they didn’t see us, I’m sure.” Baekhyun chuckled. He peeked his head out into the main street again. “Coast is clear!” He whispered. He pulled Els out of the alleyway and let his arm glide around her shoulder again. “See, we didn’t get caught. I have this all under control.” He smiled down at her.

 

“Sure you do.” Els said mockingly.

 

They were extra quiet by the time they entered their dorm building. Kelly and DO had gone up the stairs so, being as silent as possible, they opened the door to the staircase and started climbing. When they were on their way to the third floor, they could hear Kelly and DO’s voices. They were saying goodnight.

 

“Um… I guess I’ll see you tomorrow. Oh and I hope your kitchen is okay!”

 

“Yeah, me too. I told Chanyeol to stay away from the furnace. He never listens. I hope Baekhyun fixed everything.”

 

“Yeah”

 

“…”

 

“Okay, goodnight!”

 

“Goodnight.”

 

Nothing had happened.

 

“Damnit!” Baekhyun cursed under his breath after Delly had separated. “I really thought this was going to work!”

 

“I told you so.” Els smirked up at him.

 

“Oh well” He mumbled, really gloomy all of a sudden. “I guess I can’t fix everything.” He pouted and went to lean against the wall. He looked sincerely bummed out.

 

“Aww don’t be like that.” Els said, coming up to him. “Hey, at least you showed me a good time.” She tried to cheer him up.

 

Baekhyun raised his head. “Really?”

 

She just nodded and Baekhyun’s face lit up at once. “Well, in that case; I’ll consider this night a success!”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Returning back at the dorm, Els came face to face with Kelly, who was looking more than a little confused. “Where are you coming from all of a sudden, I thought you returned with Baekhyun hours ago?” She asked.

 

Els tried to think quickly. “Um, well, I helped clean up the mess in Kyungsoo’s kitchen, remember.” She hoped that was believable enough. She didn’t feel like having to explain the entire scheme to Kelly at this hour.

 

“It really took that long?” Kelly said, still not really convinced. Then, all of a sudden, her face changed. She had realized something. Oh god… Els thought.

 

“Oh I know what’s going on.” Kelly started smirking. “Now I get why you and Baekhyun left so awkwardly…There was no fire was there?”

 

Els didn’t know how to properly respond to that so she just smiled oddly at her friend.

 

“I knew it!” Kelly yelled out. “You and Baekhyun just wanted some alone time wasn’t it? Wasn’t it?”

 

Els felt the relief spread through her whole body. “Yes. That’s it.” She said simply, content that the actual plan hadn't been found out. “Baekhyun and I just wanted to spend some time together. You got me!” She smiled.

 

“Aww, I knew you two had something going on.” Kelly smiled proudly, before disappearing into their shared bedroom.

 

Els sighed. After all this effort, she could finally rest her eyes.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

So yeah.. that was kind of cracky ^^

I hope you liked it ^^