*Feathers and Secrets*

X.kuse

Hello friends! It's been a while!

This story is all kinds of ridiculous I love it don't take any of it serious hahahaha

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Kelly was wearing feathers all over her body and she couldn’t quite decide whether she looked really cool or really absurd. The theme for the X.Kuse teasers were questionable to say the least: The Animal Kingdom. It didn’t have even a little bit to do with their actual debut title song, but then again, when did teasers ever truly represent anything other than ‘Hey look at this weird/pretty imagery?

 

“Alright, this way” A guy wearing a headset called, heading towards a heavily decorated set. The walls were green screen once again but there were colorful plants and other greenery filling up the edges of the space, leaving a little clearing in the middle. The man with the headset put Kelly in the center of the room and told her to wait for a bit.

 

She didn’t even really know what was going to happen. Everything in the last few weeks had gone by in a blur and so had the preparations and explanation for the teasers. I mean, here she was, standing in a jungle-like set, wearing a dress made of purple and gold feathers and a thick layer of colorful make-up. Her eyes widened when a few crewmembers appeared, carrying the biggest egg she’d ever seen. It was a creamy marble color. They set it down in front of her, pointing to the hole in the back of it.

 

This was really happening. She was going to crawl inside a human-sized egg. And people were filming it. And the whole world would get to see it.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“How did the teaser shoot go?” Kyungsoo said, greeting her with a hug in the door opening. “I’m so excited to see what it’ll look like!”

 

“Well” Kelly replied in an unsure tone. “I don’t know how excited you should be exactly.”

 

Kyungsoo frowned at her with a smile and Kelly sighed. “It was just so weird! The whole concept is so weird and I’m going to end up looking like a fool! I’m not a fool, you know!” She said in a sassy tone.  

 

The boy started laughing now, which made Kelly even more agitated. “You don’t understand! You weren’t there!” She cried, holding onto her boyfriend dramatically. “It was so weird!”

 

“You think I don’t understand?” Kyungsoo chuckled, leading Kelly to the couch and sitting down beside her. “Have you seen our Wolf teaser?”

 

It was silent as Kelly took in the comment before breaking out into a grin. “Yeah ok that was pretty bad.”

 

They had a simple dinner before watching the latest Spiderman movie together. Not that they paid that much attention to the movie; Kyungsoo asked her how her ankle was doing, which sparked a conversation about how physically exhausted Kelly was, which in turn resulted in Kyungsoo giving Kelly a back massage. She could get used to this. After a heavenly twenty minutes of Kyungsoo’s fingers working their magic, they switched places and Kelly tried her hand at massaging her boyfriend.

 

“So is tomorrow still the big moving day?” Kyungsoo asked with a drowsy sounding voice as his head lolled around to Kelly’s massaging hands.

 

“Yeah” Kelly smiled, excited about the prospect of moving into a bigger dorm room, a lot closer to the EXO dorm. “We have to be ready before noon though because we’ve got practice after.”  

 

“Me and some of the guys are coming over to help, don’t worry.” He reassured her. “I asked some of the guys to come help too.”

 

Kelly was about to say ‘you don’t have to’ but before she could, Kyungsoo had turned around to face her with an adorable smile and said “Don’t try to stop us.”

 

“Fine!” Kelly smiled back. “If you want to break your back trying to haul all my books from one place to the other.”

 

“Those are a lot of books.” He nodded forlornly. “On second thought, I’ll pass.” He smirked before breaking out into a giggle.

 

It fell quiet around them then and Kelly could see the boy’s face grow from laughter to concern. Kyungsoo had quite a disturbing face as it was, but this was even worse than usual.

 

“Is something wrong?” Kelly asked with a frown.

 

Kyungsoo turned to look at Kelly. “Actually, there is something I wanted to talk to you about.” He began blankly but then then his face brightened again. “But I think it can wait for a little more, so don’t worry.”

 

“Oh, okay then.” Kelly replied, feeling suspicious still.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Moving their stuff through the building was a job Kelly wasn’t excited to do, but with the help of Kyungsoo, Joomyeon, Sehun and Chanyeol, it had all gone pretty fast. Even with Chanyeol and Riki deserting everyone midway to go have in a clothes cupboard (the s), they’d manage to finish before noon as they’d planned.

 

Kelly was looking for Kyungsoo to say goodbye before she had to leave to choreo practice but she couldn’t find him anywhere in their new dorm. She went into the hallway and to her relief heard his voice coming from the staircase. She grinned and strutted to the end of the hallway. When she opened the door to the spiral staircase, the found, to her surprise, not only Kyungsoo, but also Sehun. They seemed surprised to see Kelly and for a moment she was speechless. After a few seconds though she said. “I wanted to say bye because I’m leaving for dance practice.”

 

Kyungsoo broke out into a warm smile and walked over for a hug. “Okay, have a great practice!” Kelly inhaled his flowery perfume as they embraced each other.

 

“I will!” She responded as she let go. She flashed Sehun a smile as well before turning around and rejoining her band members.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

They were sat in front of a computer screen, the four of them, all equally nervous. Kelly felt herself sweat and she wished she’d brought her blotting paper with her. They were going to watch all of their teasers and music video for the first time.

 

First up was, terrifyingly, Kelly’s teaser. It was the first teaser they would upload onto Youtube. Their fabulous manager, Tyler, was the one to press the ‘play’ button.

 

A tropical jungle. The camera moved through trees and lianas until it came out to a clearing. A clearing with in the center, yes indeed: a giant egg.

 

Kelly put a hand to her forehead.

 

Slowly the camera approached the egg until CRACK! A fracture appeared in the tip of the shell. The crevice crinkled wider and wider until some bits of the egg chipped off and steam came out from within. A low humming sound erupted that gradually growing louder as the camera approached still. And then all of a sudden, BANG! A bass drum boomed once as a fist broke through the tip of the egg. A few short seconds of their song played before the screen faded back to black.

 

Kelly stared with eyes the size of cherry tomatoes and after a few seconds of odd silence the three girls beside her burst out into harmonious laughter.

 

Next up was Riki, whose trailer started out in a dark, eerie-looking forest. Autumn leaves layered the floor. The camera once again floated through the land scape, hovering only a few inches above the ground this time. It came to a slow stop near some bushes. The wind blew and a single leaf fluttered off, revealing a hole no bigger than a tennis ball. This time, a more melodic piece of music started to play, another part of their song and slowly, a slender, forked tongue slithered out from the hole. A light hissing sound was audible as the screen darkened.

 

Good, Kelly thought, they are all embarrassing.

 

Els’ trailer took place in the woods as well, but this time the surroundings were a lot more colorful and spring-like. There was slim, tall trees everywhere, obscuring the view. The camera hovered in between them until a beautiful little pond came into sight. The same melodic music began to play and as the music intensified, from behind a bush next to the pond, the back of a head appeared. Blonde locks of hair with a set of cream colored antlers. Slowly the music died out and the screen went black.

 

The final teaser, Sen’s video, took place in a scary looking jungle. The camera also went fast this time, zooming through the forestation like a bird in flight as the low humming sound from the first teaser played, when finally, it stopped in front of a large prickly bush with a bang and from that bush, two, large, yellow eyes appeared, coming closer until the contours of a face were visible. A loud growl sounded and the video darkened.

 

The girls were all laughing now. The trailers were ridiculous but kind of amazing at the same time. They were lucky you couldn’t really see their faces in these videos, at least. Then, however, it was time for the real deal: the music video.

 

It was all kinds of crazy, the video, but Kelly wasn’t embarrassed as she was of the trailer. Luckily, it didn’t have anything to do with the animal theme of the teaser videos. The girls actually all looked really good. Whatever they’d done in the editing process of this video, Kelly was living for it! The camera work made their dancing look flawless and the lighting made them look like majestic goddesses of thunder. That’s what the video was sort of about. The song was called Lightning Speed and the setting of the video was a thunder storm. The cameo of the EXO boys was quite funny too. In the end, Kelly, while still feeling nervous, was happy with the result of all their efforts.

 

“Alrighty” Tyler sung cheerfully. “Let’s put the first trailer out into the world!”

 

This of course made Kelly’s heart stop for a moment but she had no choice but the watch as the video was uploaded.

 

“You girls did a great job!” The gleeful man said as he put a hand to Kelly’s shoulder. “How about we” He sounded ecstatic. “Go out for a drink tonight?”

 

“Yes!” Riki yelled way too loudly but Kelly couldn’t agree more.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

They were at an underground club in one of the backstreets of Appgujeong, sitting at the bar, enjoying their round of free drinks, so generously donated by Tyler. The DJ wasn’t her style, Kelly noticed quite fast, but she couldn’t really complain. They’d picked this unknown place because they wanted to invite some of their already famous buddies and they knew this place would be safe for them not to get harassed of photographed.

 

Kelly smiled when she saw the guys walk up towards them: Jongin, Tao, Kris, Kyuhyun, Sehun, Chanyeol, Baekhyun and lastly, Kyungsoo.

 

“Congratulations!” The bug-eyed boy said with a big smirk plastered across his face and all eyes were on her. There was no doubt that the boys had seen the teaser the second it had come out. They were all cheering her on and Kelly, being the fabulous woman she was, took the compliments with grace, bowing and singing ‘thank you, thank you’ to all her new fans. She knew the teaser had been ridiculous but by now, she was in a party mood and she could laugh about it.

 

Kyungsoo came to sit aside her and he ordered the both of them a drink. “So how do you feel now?” He asked, handing her the fruity cocktail and taking a sip of his own.

 

“I’m so excited!” She bellowed at him, unable to keep her emotions in. “Really nervous too! But so excited!”

 

Kyungsoo laughed a little smile. “That’s good.” He said after a while and he put a strand of hair behind her ear.

 

Just then, and to Kelly’s surprise, one of her favorite songs came on and she let out a big whooping sound. “I love this song let’s dance!” She yelled, already getting up from her chair but seeing Kyungsoo’s face, she already knew the boy wasn’t going to get up and dance. Luckily Jongin was already getting up from his seat as well. She glanced back at her boyfriend once more and once he nodded at her with a smile, she left his side to join the people on the dancefloor.

 

It was wonderful, dancing with Jongin. He was once of those people that truly let loose on the floor yet still looked like a professional. She loved watching him dance and she loved even more when he taught her dance moves. The song changed and now it was Bad Romance by Lady Gaga. Kelly immediately burst out into song, making Jongin almost drop to the floor laughing. They continued to dance and play around together until Sen, Riki, Tao and joined them, creating even more havoc on the floor.

 

They must have changed DJ’s because awesome song after awesome song came on. Also Els, Kyuhyun, Kris and Chanyeol had joined now and the whole atmosphere was amazing. Kelly could do this all night. She was having such a good time until she felt two hands slip around her waist. She immediately knew it wasn’t Kyungsoo’s hands touching her so her heart started beating painfully fast.

 

“Hello love” A voice called, way too close to her ear. She was just about to turn around to tell whoever it was to back off but she didn’t have to. Jongin was already stepping in.

 

“Get away from her, she’s taken!” He yelled over the music and he took her by the wrist. She could now see the creepy whisperer. He was a handsome guy with a facial hair and hip-hop style clothes.

 

“Taken by who? You?” The hip hop dude retorted with a look of disdain.

 

Kelly felt Jongin put an arm around her shoulder to pull her close, which made her nervous as hell.

 

“Yeah” The boy beside her said confidently. “She is. So leave us alone.”

 

The intruder merely scoffed before turning away from them. Kelly heaved a sigh of relief and Jongin let go of her.

“Thanks!” She yelled into his ear and the boy nodded happily and stuck up his two thumbs in a dorky fashion.

 

When she returned to the bar for another refreshment, she found Kyungsoo talking animatedly to Sehun. The both of them seemed to have fun all on their own, which made her smile. She was concerned that Kyungsoo would be bored or upset if Kelly went off to dance without him.  

 

“How’s it going over here?” She asked happily coming up behind the boys and the two looked up a looking startled. Something about the moment was awkward although Kelly couldn’t seem to point out what it was.

 

“Well” Sehun said as he got up from his barstool. “I think I should leave you two.” And with an eyebrow raise to Kyungsoo and a court nod to Kelly, left the bar area. Kelly frowned but sat down in the now empty chair anyways and ordered some water.

 

“You seem like you’re having fun.” Kyungsoo said with a small smile and Kelly nodded at him.

 

“Yeah!” She beamed, being reminded of the dance floor shenanigans of only a few minutes ago. “The music is so good all of a sudden! But it was getting way too hot in there, I needed to come for a breather.” She smiled.

 

Kyungsoo nodded. “That great. I’m glad you’re having fun.” And he took another sip of his fruit cocktail. Now Kelly could tell that there was definitely something off. The boy seemed to be thinking hard. She was looking at his face intently when it suddenly dawned on her. What if he thought something was going on between her and Jongin? What if he had seen them embrace on the dancefloor just now? Admittedly, she and Jongin got along amazingly and they did hang out a lot. She felt her face grow hot again.

 

“Kyungsoo” She started but he cut her off. “No it’s fine.” He said. “I know what you’re thinking and-” he paused, looking down at his lap with a vacant stare that made him look deranged. “Kelly” He said, not looking at her. “I’m trying really hard but-” He bit his lip and let out a deep sigh. “It’s just a little hard to put my feelings into words right now.”

 

Holy . He was going to break up with her.

 

It was silent again for a while but Kelly didn’t quite know how to handle the situation, so she just waited for him to continue. Kyungsoo seemed to be in deep thought again. Should she say something?

 

“Kyungsoo” She began nervously. “I think I know what you’re trying to say and-”

 

“I can’t do this.” Kyungsoo cut in again, murmuring to himself in a panic and he got up from the stool, literally running out of the club. Kelly followed him at once, now getting frustrated with the boy. First of all, if he was going to break up with her, he shouldn’t be such a baby about it and secondly, she was kind of worried about him as well. She found him walking the narrow alleyway towards the main road outside of the bar. She ran after him.

 

“Kyungsoo hold up!” She called out to him but the boy didn’t listen so she ran a little harder and grabbed his hand to spin him around to face her, as if they were characters in an epic scene of a K-drama.

 

“Listen up.” She said. “I don’t know what you think you’re doing but if you don’t come up and at least talk to me, I think I’m going to explode!”

 

“I can’t explain what I feel okay!” Kyungsoo yelled. It was the first time she’d seen her boyfriend this upset and it was quite frankly, very unsettling.

 

“Just say it!” Kelly shrieked exasperatedly. “Just! Freaking! Say it!”

 

“Alright, alright, I’m gay!” The boy cried at last throwing his arms up into the air all dramatically.

 

Well that was unexpected, Kelly thought, completely perplexed. She stared at him until she realized that was probably a rude thing to do, so she tried her best to soften her face into something more comforting.

 

“Kyungsoo, I had no idea.” She said as he moved in to cry on her shoulder. She’d never even thought about it, but now that she did, she realized that there had been a fair few signs.

 

“Kelly, I’m so sorry! I’m such a terrible boyfriend.” She wept into her shoulder and Kelly rubbed the boy’s back soothingly.

 

“That’s okay.” She said, not knowing what else to say. Her boyfriend was gay. What do you say to that? They were definitely broken up now, she knew that much, but she didn’t cry, at least not yet; not here, in this alleyway, whilst her gay boyfriend sobbed into her shirt. That would be weird.

 

“I think I should go home.” Kyungsoo mumbled into her shoulder.

 

Kelly stood still as a statue. “Okay” She said plainly, still too dazed by what was going on to feel anything.

 

The homoual moved away from her, his eyes to the ground. “I’ll see you later then?” He murmured unsurely and Kelly nodded. She watched him walked off into the distance and it was only after he’d turned the corner that her emotions flooded back into her body.

 

How could he do this? Kelly knew of course that the boy hadn’t done anything on purpose and that it was not something he could help, but she felt hurt and embarrassed and lonely. She didn’t feel like returning to the party but her coat was still inside and she didn’t want to leave it there lest someone forgot to bring it back for her. She leaned herself against the brick wall and sighed. She didn’t even have her phone or anything and the September night was quite chilly. She looked toward the door, wondering if she should quickly sneak in to grab her coat when the door opened and Jongin walked out. Upon seeing her he sighed in relief.

 

“Oh good, there you are!” He said as he jogged up to her, followed immediately by “Hey, what’s wrong?”

 

“It’s nothing.” Kelly replied automatically. “I just needed some air.”

 

Jongin took off his jacket and wrapped it around Kelly’s shoulders. “You look upset.” He noted, looking her directly in the eyes and making her a little nervous.

 

“I’m fine, it’s just-” She paused, debating on whether she would tell him. “It’s Kyungsoo.” She let out finally. She saw the younger boy’s eyes widen for the fraction of a second before his face turned to concern.

 

“Oh” He said softly, and Kelly couldn’t really read what that meant. “What happened?”

 

“We broke up.” Kelly admitted and as the words left for the first time, the meaning of it hit her tenfold and he had to concentrate to hold herself together.

 

“Oh Kelly.” Jongin sighed and he instantly moved into her for a comforting hug.

 

Kelly loved Jongin’s musky scent and the way he held her tight. She was so grateful he was there for her. She squeezed closer to him and allowed him to hold her for as long as he pleased.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Despite Kelly’s telling him it wasn’t necessary, Jongin had accompanied her to the dorm. They were now on the couch together enjoying some juice and late night TV. They had talked for a little bit, about Kyungsoo and his freshly revealed uality. Kelly had gone off on quite a tangent about all the little things that should have warned her for his gayness and Jongin had explained to her that she shouldn’t generalize or judge and that what Kyungsoo needed the most now was her support. Kelly supposed he was right. She was so happy to have Jongin by her side in this moment. He was soon cracking jokes with her and making her laugh, just like he always did and it was washing away all the negative thoughts.

 

“I should really thank you for tonight, Jongin.” She said, looking up at him in the door opening.

 

The tall, lean boy smirked. “Yes, you should.” He joked and Kelly cracked a smile. Then it went silent as the two grinned at each other like losers.

 

“Um” Jongin cleared his voice, looking more thoughtful than before. “I-” He started but he didn’t seem to know how to finish that sentence. Maybe not so thoughtful after all. The boy was leaning in closer to Kelly though and Kelly seemed to be on autopilot, ever so slowly moving towards him as well. She wanted so bad to hug him again but was way too scared to make that first move. She felt a hand brush her palm and she almost gasped. Their hands were merely touching, a shy gesture that made Kelly turn red once again. They were almost chest to chest now but all of a sudden it was over, when they both noticed muted voices. Their heads turned towards the end of the hallway where, not a second later, the whole gang came bursting in loudly. Jongin laughed awkwardly at the crowd and walked up to them.

 

“Had a good night?” He asked and Sehun came to slap him on the , giggling as he said. “Best night ever, brother!”

 

Sen, Els and Riki came up to her with concerned looks. “Where were you?” Els asked.

 

“Oh, I just felt like going home early.” She said, not wanting to dish out the whole story again. When she was met with the skeptical faces of her friends she added. “I’ll tell you all tomorrow. It’s late.” And this time all the girls agreed.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Kelly indeed told her three friends what had happened with Kyungsoo. She didn’t really know whether she was allowed to tell people about Kyungsoo’s uality, but she figured her close friends would be okay. She asked them not to tell anyone else and they’d promised.

 

She hadn’t told them all of the details about what had happened with Jongin afterwards though; she wanted to keep those memories all to herself for now.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

TADAH!