Chapter 18. Contract

Strung out

Director Kim POV

 

"Defi!"

"Adrenalin!"

 

I watch from the window how Amber leading her team, doing a CPR on a patient with cardiac arrest. It's been two years since we last met.

 

And I still remember our conversation from 2 years ago.

 

 

*Flash back*

 

I was surprised as I saw her walking inside my office. My secretary tried to hold her, she knows i hate being disturbed.

"I'm sorry Director Kim, she just barged in"

"It's ok, Ms. Bae. YOu can go"

 

I haven't seen Amber in years. She looks handsome as always. I know you shouldn't have favourite your grandchildren, but i always like Amber most. I am so sad that I wasn't able to help her during the time as her parents died. As i found out she got enrolled to med school, i was so happy until i heard she dropped out just before the last examination.

 

She looks sad today, tired, i can't describe it.

 

"Amber"

"Nana" she said. She took a deep breath and said "I need your help, Nana"

"Amber Liu needs an old lady to do her a favour?"

"Please help her"

 

Of course i already knew who she reffering to, Krystal Jung, 18 years, diagnosed with brain tumor years ago. No assessment afterwards. Currently lying at our ICU with Status Epilepticus.

 

"Why should I help her, Amber?"

She looked at me. Without blinking she said "Because i'm going to obey everything you want me to if you promise me that you'll save her"

 

I never see Amber so vulnerable since the day her parents died. She must love this girl so much.

 

"Who is she to you, Amber?" I wanted to know her answer.

"I---I love her. I love her more than anything, more than my own life. Please save her" she fell on her knees and starts crying.

 

I wanted to hold her, i want to take her in my arms and say that it's all going to be allright. But i have other plans. Amber shouldn't waste her life living the life she's been living. She can do so much more.

 

"Get up, Amber. I promised you to look for the best doctors for her, to pay for all her expenses. But with three conditions"

 

"Name it"

 

"You should finish med school and afterward you are going to work for me at this hospital"

 

She nodded.

 

"You are going to marry the girl i chose you to"

 

She didn't respond.

 

 

 

"And you're not allowed to see Krystal anymore"

 

 

She gritted her teeth "If i do those, promise me you're going to take care of her?"

 

"I promise"

 

"You have my word"

 

 

--- End of flashback ---

 

 

She graduated in a year, making her way as the youngest ICU Head Department in Severance history.

She's born to be a leader, her workmates admire her for her works and dedication.

 

But she's not Amber we used to know. Ever since the day i told her she isn't allowed to see Krystal anymore, she never smiles. As if her heart died.

 

 

I sighed. What should I do?