Chapter 11. Can't let go

Strung out

I woke up early and went to see Krystal. She was still sleeping, but the nurse said she woke up late last night and asked if i was still around.

 

I her hair, she opened her eyes.

"Hey you..." I said

"Hey..."

"Feeling a little bit better?"

"Headache, but i'll survive" she gave me a weak smile.

 

 

"Krys...."

She was telling her story, knowing there's no point on hiding everything anymore.

"It started as i was 5, i started to stumble. Mom thought at first because i was clumsy but then i start to knocking things down. Falling down from stairs, getting bruises from hitting something was every day's program. She took me to an eye clinic, she was told i had bitemporal hemianopsia, that i was missing the outer part of both my right and left visual field. With time it become a total blindness, i couldn't able to see anymore. With 7 I had my first seizure, i was taken to a hospital. The doctors said i have menigiom on my hypothalamus, the tumor is taking space causing the seizures."

"Can't they remove it?"

She shook her head. " Mom and Dad sold everything to get me to see various doctors. Everyone shook their head. It's too big and too much risk involved. Mom got sick and died. Dad couldn't get over it and become an alcoholic."

 

 

"But Krys, it's 11 years ago. When was the last time you had an MRT? Medicine improves, maybe they developed a way to help you"

She smiled "I would rather have a short beautiful life, then growing old with i.v lines on my body and being feed through a tube on my stomach"

"But..."

"Can't you just love me like this Amber?"

"Krys..." my voice trembles, tears running down my cheek.

 

She sat herself, took me in her arms. I was sobbing.

"Don't cry. I'm happy that i met you."

"I don't want to lose you"

"Nobody lives forever, Amber. And i want you to remember me like this. I'm grateful for every little thing i'm still able to enjoy. Every moment i can share with you."

I couldn't stop my tears, how can she be so brave. I, who gave up everything because some bad things that happened in my life. She, who's having death lurking around her door and ready to embrace death when he comes to take her away.

 

But I'm not ready to let go.

I'll do anything to save you, Krys. That i promise you.