Chapter 17. Changes

Strung out

2 years later

 

I took a walk at the garden, stopped at the blue bell flowers. They remind me of something.

"Ms. Jung, it's time" a nurse came to me

I nodded and followed her.

 

The doctors start with checking my vital parameter. Professor Kim continues, checking my visus, my pupil reaction, he was happy with the result.

"Ms. Jung, sit down" he said "Tell me your name"

"Krystal Jung Soo Jung"

"Birthplace?"

"Seoul"

"Any new memories since our last meeting?"

I shook my head, but then hesitated " I think i like blue bell flowers"

"Blue bell?"

"Yes"

"You know why?"

"No idea, i just got that feeling"

 

I spaced out, remembering that day for two years.

 

 

*Flash back*

 

"Ms. Jung?"

Jung? Who is it?

 

"Ms. Jung?" a woman voice repeated the words.

Jung? Does she mean me? .

 

"Ms. Jung... I'm Dr. Kwon. How are you feeling?"

"Uhh, who's Ms. Jung?"

 

I could feel she was surprised.

 

"It's ok, Ms. Jung. This might just be the post-ictal-phase. You had a seizure, it's normal for you to have temporary memory loss after it"

Seizures? Memory loss?

 

But my memories never return, the only thing i could remember was my name, my birthday, that I have a brain tumor. My mom died as i was a kid and my dad is an alkoholic. I don't remember anything else.

 

Dr. Kwon came a week later, offering me to leave to Germany for a check up, checking if there is possibility for a treatment. I agreed.

 

She accompanied me to Hannover, to the Medicinische Hochschule, where Professor Kim worked as a staff on the neurochirurgie. He moved to Germany as he was 17, studied and work there ever since. Dr. Kwon told me i don't have to worry about the expenses. That Severance Hospital have funds to help patients like me.

 

Professor KIm did a general check up. i couldn't believe my ears as he said there's 80% chance for the tumor removal operation to succeed, there's even 50% chance for me to be able to see again. And it all came true.

They sent me to a special clinic afterwards. I learned to read, learned everything from the start again. Dr. Kwon came once a month, asking how I was feeling, happy seeing that I'm making progress.

 *End of Flashback*

 

She's here today. We plan to go back to Korea in 2 days if all the results turned out to be good. Professor Kim said it might help me gaining my memories back if i return there. I'm excited, now that i can see, i wonder how Korea looks like.

After the examination i walked to the cafeteria, where Dr. Kwon waited.

 

"HI, Krystal"

"Hi, Yuri Unnie"

 

I asked her if I can call her that, i have nobody but her. At least none i could remember.

 

"How was it?"

"I think it's ok"

"Excited to go to Korea?"

"Yeah"

 

She smiled "Your friends at the Sacred heart hospital are going to be surprised seeing you like this"

I nodded, even i don't remember them, Yuri unnie told me how they have been taking care of me. Even if my memories don't come back, i can just start to get to know them all over again.

 

I the ring on my left hand.

"You like that ring a lot even that it's too big for you, don't you?"

"Yes. I can't remember why, but i know it's something very important to me"

 

Suddenly Yuri-Unnie face went sad

"She still loves you"

"I'm sorry?" she was mumbling under her breath that i couldn't understand her.

"Nothing" she said "Let's go to Prof Kim and ask if you're good to go"

"Ok"

 

On our way there, i couldn't help to think about Yuri's Unnie's words "She still loves you"

She knows more than what she's been telling me, and once i'm  in Korea i'm going to find out.