Chapter 12. The beach

Strung out

It's gonna be Krystal's birthday on weekend. I asked permission to take her to the beach. She want to hear the waves, she said. The doctors change her anti-epileptikum to Levetiracetam. It's been 3 weeks since her last seizure, maybe it'll work this time.

They gave me an ampulle of Lorazepam, put an i.v line on Krystal left hand, just in case.

I prepared dinner, put some blankets in the car and make sure Krystal wears something warm. I hold her hand, guiding her to the car. She was so happy having the wind blowing her hair. I speed up, i want to be at the beach on sunset. I already set everything up yesterday, i set up a tent at the beach so we can spend the night there.

 

Krystal was excited having wet sand between her toes, getting wet from the waves. I gave her a piggy back ride. I took her hand and walk hand in hand along the beach.

"Tired?" I asked

She shook her head, showing me her beautiful smile. "It's been so long since i had fun like this"

I smiled. She really looks happy.

 

We sat ourselves next to the tent. The sun starts to set.

"Amber.."

"Yeah?"

"Is it beautiful? The sunset?"

"Yes. It's beautiful... it turns everything red, even the water just turned out red"

"I don't remember how red is, i vaquely remember blue..."

 

 

We ate dinner, i put a blanket on Krystal's shoulder, preventing her from getting sick.

 

As my clock told me it was 12, i took out a small cake with a candle on it and sang happy birthday.

"Happy Birthday, Krys..." I kissed her forehead

"Thanks Amber"

"Why don't you make a wish and blow the candle"

She nodded, closed her eyes and muttered a wish before she blew the candle.

"Why did you wish for?"

"It won't come true if you say it" she said

I chuckled "I don't believe in such thing"

 

"You want to know?"

"Only if you want to tell me"

"I wish you'll be happy forever, even after I---"

"Don't" I cut her

"Amber...."

"Just don't"

 

 

"Amber...."

"Mmm?"

"Can i touch your face? I want to know how you look like"

"H--How?"

"Just sit yourself in front of me"

As she starts to run her fingers on my face, i closed my eyes. Her fingers tracing every inch of my face, sometimes lighter, sometimes firmer.

 

"What's your hair color?"

"Black"

She smiled and continue exploring, she's tracing my cheekbone. I opened my eyes and saw her face so close to mine. Her pale eyes seem to glow on the darkness, her lips...

 

My heart starts beating faster as her fingers brushed my lips. I held my breath.

"You're beautiful, Amber..."

"I'm not"

"Yes, you are" her fingers are still tracing my face.

"I'm not, Krys..." I took her hands, holding them tight "But you are..."

"Am..."

 

I hesitated as i leaned closer, closed my eyes as i pressed my lips on to hers. I let go of her hand, cupping her cheek and continue kissing her, her cheek, trying to tell her with the kiss how much i love her.

She clench my T-shirt as she kissed me back.

Lacking of air i broke the kiss only to repeat it from the beginning again, can't get enough of each other. I stopped kissing her, pulled her closer, hugged her tight and whispered in her ear "I love you"

"I love you too, Amber"

 

 

"Let get some sleep" i said

She nodded, got up on her feet and strech herself. She was following the sound of the waves, wriggling her toes at the feeling of sand between them.

I watch her from behind, absentmindedly getting up, took her hand and kneeled in front of her.

"Amber?"

 

 

My voice trembles as I said "Krystal Jung, will you be my wife?"