Chapter 5

Interactive Fanfic: Sparks In Between.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Now you’re in love with his mum?!” Kai exclaims, grabbing the sides of his hair.

You give him a look, “And you wonder why I ask you didn’t try out for Drama Club.”

“Please,” he scoffs while brushing his fringe back, revealing his forehead. You have to admit, he looks good even when his fringe is up. He looks good with or without styling his hair. Heck, he doesn’t even need to try to look good. “I need not audition.”

You stare with awe at how pieces of his hair fall perfectly off the side of his forehead. There’s just something about Kai, something unexplainable, which makes him seems so perfect that you hate yourself for being jealous. Strangely yet, you just can’t seem to explain what it is. You know he’s born with good looks. And yet, so does every other person who is also born with good looks but they’re not like Kai! “Right,” you decide to play along, “You might be the next big thing. You never know.”

“Excuse me,” he stretches his back lazily and sits back up, “I have a huge cupboard in my room filled with Grammy Awards trophies.” His arms spread out wide to show how huge that cupboard back home he was talking about.

“And I have a huge empty cupboard filled with the s I give,” you add on. “None.”

“Well played,” he smirks and then snatches the paper you are holding away from your hand. “So you woke me up from my sleep last night, crying it was urgent,” he scans the details on the paper, “for this. And this is it?”

“Hello? You’re saying as if I called you in the middle of the night. It was only 8, mind you!” You snatch the paper back while gripping a black pen in your right hand. It’s an audition form you got from the notice board outside the music hall. You don’t know where to start filling. Everything suddenly seems like alien encodings. Even the empty spaces seem mindscrewing to you. “And it is urgent! My image is at stake here!”

“What  image?” he laughs.

You throw the black pen at him and he manages to catch it. He has always had a sharp response. He is the captain of the Basketball Team after all. Now, where is a dictionary when you need it? Or a brick.

He places the black pen back into your grip and you eye his every action. “Don’t lose it,” he says, referring to the pen. “You need it to sign your death certificate,” now referring to the audition form.

You sigh and drop your upper body onto the table. He’s right. “I hate you.” This IS your death certificate. You hit the top of your head several times while rubbing your face against the audition form. You’re going nuts. You’re even mentally playing your embarrassing scene on the stage later. What if someone throws a dictionary at me? “What have I got myself into?”

“So…” Kai says, looking around the discussion room with his blank look. He seems lost of words, as though he doesn’t know what else to say. This is rare. He always has something to say. “Baekhyun’s mum…”

Your face remains put against the table, “What about her.”

He shrugs, “I don’t know. Aren’t you going to tell me about your new crush?”

“What?” You force yourself up. Kai sounds ridiculous. “I don’t like her!”

He raises his eyebrow, “Oh, so you don’t like Baekhyun’s mum,” he says, clasping his hands together, “This might be a huge problem in the future if you’re planning to force an engagement ring onto Baekhyun’s finger.”

“No, not like that!” He’s driving you crazier than you already are. “I like her, just not in that way. You know that! Stop twisting my words!”

“So when are you planning to fill in the form?”

You narrow your eyebrows. He’s really driving you crazy. “Why are you constantly switching topic?”

“You’re not done with the topic of Baekhyun’s mum?” he his head. You don’t know whether he’s doing it on purpose or not. You can’t really think straight right now and Kai isn’t helping a tiny bit at all.

You bury your face in your hands, “Oh, good lord. You’re unbelievably—“

“—amazing, I know.” He continues your line for you, grinning. Of course, that isn’t what you wanted to say but you don’t bother to fight back. It’s useless. You learn that you just can’t win Kai in speaking. In fact, you can’t win him in anything. Looks? Talents? Wealth? Forget it.

You sigh and he sighs as well. “Come on,” he says and grabs the pen away from you, “I’ll help you with it,” being more serious now.

“Thanks.” You mutter and you really mean it this time. You look at the time and it’s already 2 in the afternoon. Your next class is starting soon.

You look at Kai who is filling up the form for you with full attention. You have never seen Kai like this other than the times when he’s on the court for some championship or on the dance floor. And this is only something you get to see on the bleachers or in the corner of the dance room. He must really know how worried and nervous you are for this audition, this problem you got yourself into. As much as he wants to help, he is clueless as well. He knows how important Baekhyun is to you and he can’t just simply ask you to pull yourself out from this agreement of yours with Baekhyun. Not like you will. Not like you will listen to him.

“Hey, Kai,” you begin, wanting to thank him again, only because you know he didn’t hear it the first time. His eyes are still on the form, filling your birthday now. “Thank you.”

He looks up, kind of taken back. How can he not? You sound too nice to him for the first time. He has never heard you thank him as sincere as this before.

He smiles and nods, almost saying you’re welcome.

Suddenly, this becomes a new entry in your friendship with Kai. A new scene. A scene you wish to replay and hope for more because you somehow see a new side of Kai; the side of Kai which shows concern towards something or someone other than basketball and dance. And that someone is you.

 

 

 

The day is finally here.

The day you wish will never come too soon.

The day you hope Baekhyun will trip and fall, still manages to look good while falling, and then not make it to the audition.

So you can escape it.

“Hey!” Baekhyun decides to appear after being late, again. This boy is never on time. “You’re here!” He says to Kai, unable to believe Kai actually made it. Well, Kai did say he’ll be busy at this time, with his dance session.

The audition is ongoing.

“And miss a chance to watch Riles sing? Never!” he chuckles, paying no attention to the girl who is on stage. “But really, why did you force her to audition with you? She’s been facing mental disability for the past few days, man.”

Then, there is a pause.

“What?” Baekhyun says confusingly.

Kai nods, “Oh yeah. Full brain damage. You better believe it.”

Baekhyun shakes his head, “No, no. I didn’t ask her to audition with me!” It is Kai’s turn to look confused now. “I asked her to come to the audition with me. No wonder she’s been so quiet lately. I thought you guys were fighting! Not like you guys don’t every day, that’s why I didn’t bother asking.”

Kai facepalms.

“Wait,” Baekhyun grabs Kai’s right shoulder, “so where is she?” he asks, looking around the big music hall for you. It is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter