Chapter 13

Interactive Fanfic: Sparks In Between.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Stand up.”

You look up almost lifelessly to an angry, maybe annoyed, Kai. You shake your head and drops back down to the table. You’re in the library, being lifeless as ever. You’ve been here for the past few hours doing nothing but sulking. You haven’t eaten lunch or even breakfast. You couldn’t sleep. No, you didn’t sleep. This has been your routine for the past few days and you’re kind of impressed you’re still alive.

“I’m not allowing this bull anymore,” he says emphatically, grabbing onto your arm, gently shaking it. His grip, almost forcefully. “Yah, Hwang Sal Ryo! Wake up!”

“What do you want from me?” you exclaim, looking up from the table. Your eyes red and teary. “Leave me alone!”

He lets go. “So this is it?” he asks, looking pathetically at you. “You’re going to cry for a guy who probably doesn’t like you back? Who is probably singing his off with that girl who bribed her way into choir? Is this really worth it?”

“Go away,” you demand and look away while wiping your tears off. This is so embarrassing; crying in front of Kai and probably the whole student body in the library. It feels like a free show.

“This is not the Riles I once used to know,” he begins, almost quietly because he’s aware you two are in the library but you can hear the seriousness in his voice. “When I first saw you, you were a strong girl, surviving college with no one to depend on. I desperately wanted to know you because you caught my attention like no other girls did.” You remain still, not responding to anything he’s saying and he feels like you’re completely ignoring him. “I admired your determination. I admired your ability to ignore what the world has to say or think about you. Where do you think I learned from to ignore girls who would voluntary throw themselves onto the bed for me? From you. And now you decide to prove me wrong?”

You sigh, “I’m sorry.” That is all you could say. Not for feeling vulnerable but for disappointing him and scarring his impression of you.

“Yeah? Well, I’m sorry too,” he says, annoyed, and walks off.

 

 

 

 

 

Kai barges into the music hall, turning heads of the members of the choir who are discussing about their performance on stage. He scans through the scattered members and focuses his glance on Baekhyun, having everyone following his glance as he did so. Then, all eyes were on Baekhyun. The music hall is too quiet at that moment even though there are approximately 30 people present, almost the number of a normal class. No one dares to make any sound when they notice Kai’s deadly glare.

“I need to talk to you,” Kai finally speaks, putting both of his hands into his jeans’ pockets. “Privately,” he announces and everyone starts leaving the stage then exits through the backstage. He didn’t really expect everyone to leave like that but for Baekhyun to step out from the music hall with him instead.

Baekhyun watches silently as everyone disappear backstage. He turns back to Kai who is now walking slowly down the steps and towards the stage. “You want to talk to me about something?”

Kai stands below the stage, cocking his head up to look at Baekhyun who is on the stage instead. “It’s about Riley.”

"Riley?” Baekhyun tilts his head a little, wondering. “Is something bothering her?”

“Yeah, you,” Kai reply almost instantly.

“Me?” Baekhyun eyebrows narrowed.

“Look,” Kai begins, “I don’t know whether you really never noticed or maybe you’re just ignoring her feelings but I’m just going to keep this conversation between us straight and simple.” Baekhyun nods, looking concern. “She likes you.”

He’s taken aback. “W-what?”

“You heard me,” Kai says, “She likes you. It has not been long and I really, really don’t see what she sees in you or what you have or did to deserve her feelings. But I’m still her best friend and I just want to tell you that if you don’t see yourself being a great help in ending her pain right now, just leave her alone. I mean it, leave her alone. Don’t go near her, don’t talk to her, you know what, don’t even look at her. Just leave her alone and—“

“—you have no rights to ask me to do that.”

Kai shoots Baekhyun a disbelief look, “What? Did you just—“

“—I said,” Baekhyun clears his throat, “you have no rights to ask me to ignore Riley.”

“Excuse me?” Kai is burning up but still restrain himself from running up the stage and beat the hell out of Baekhyun. He shakes his head and turns to walk away, “Whatever. I’m done talking. Just stay away from her.”

“You like Riley don’t you?” Baekhyun says suddenly, making Kai stand motionless in the middle of the steps. “You like Riley too.”

Kai turns around with a short chuckle, “Pardon me?”

“I’m not surprised if you do.”

Kai shakes his head and resume walking towards the exit, “You’re unbelievable.”

“I want a match.” Baekhyun challenges.

“What?” Kai turns back again, “Are you even listening to yourself? Are you mad? Crazy?”

Baekhyun walks down the stairs and slowly moves towards where Kai is standing. “Crazy for challenging you? Maybe.” He now stands right in front of Kai, confidently, their eyes at the same level. “Crazy for liking Riley? No.”

“With what?” Kai scoffs, and points towards the stage. “You and your group of singing teletubies?”

“Just me.” Baekhyun replies with a straight look.

Kai grins and nod in agreement. “Fine,” he accepts Baekhyun’s challenge. “The Talent Show.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You missed the meeting.”

You nod, still lying soullessly on the library table. You didn’t bother looking up because you know clearly that it is Chanyeol. You might be very down and look quite dead but your head is still clear. You know what’s happening in your surroundings.

“You look quite not yourself these few days,” Chanyeol states the obvious and pulls a chair out, sitting next to you, the side where you are facing. “You want to talk about it?”

“Not really,” you reply, staring blankly into space.

He stands up and you are mentally laughing at how Chanyeol has given up in cheering you.

“Come with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter