Chapter 10

Interactive Fanfic: Sparks In Between.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Our Baekhyunnie likes you.”

You choke on her words. “W-what?”

“Can’t you see it? Feel it?” Mrs. Byun asks, scooting over to your place.

Hold up. Pause.

Rewind.

 

 

 

 

The moment you step into the house, you are greeted by an overly-excited woman who just manages to run out from the corner, still having an apron on. And here you thought Baekhyun was kind of scary a moment ago, standing at the front door greeting you with a huge smile as though he plans to cook you for dinner instead.

“Come here!” she walks towards you, untying her apron and takes it off. She throws it to Baekhyun unexpectedly who only almost manages to grab hold of it after a few awkward hand movements here and there. “I’m glad you’re here!”

You hug her back. She has the same warm feeling your mother has. “I’m glad I’m here too,” you reply with a chuckle.

She pulls back. “So how was the trip here?” she asks, grabbing at the sides of your arms, eyeing you up and down then to your forehead. “You’re sweating. It must a tiring journey, right?” she asks again, holding up her sleeves to your forehead to wipe of your sweat. You can’t help to feel a little embarrassed; you must be looking a bit worn-out. You wanted to look more presentable than some sweaty girl who just came back from a marathon. You can’t help it. You even have sweaty palms almost any given time. You’re born with the genes to perspire like mad. That’s why you hated holding anyone’s hands.

You shake your head. “It’s okay. I walked here with Chanyeol.”

She turns to Baekhyun, hands holding yours. “He lives just next door, right? Aren’t his parents’ rich? Doesn’t he have a car?” she questions and Baekhyun just shrugs. Too many questions are shot to him at a time. “Didn’t I ask you to wait for her?”

“No, Mrs. Byun.” You shake your hands a little and she turns back to you. “I was the one who asked him to go back home. I thought you might need some help with dinner since... I can’t really be here to help you,” you explain and she just smiles at you.

“What are you talking about?” she giggles and cups your face. “Such a thoughtful girl. It’s okay, your job today is to just come here and accompany me to have dinner. I prepared lots! You must be hungry, right? That Chanyeol, tsk, making you walk here.”

You shake your head immediately. “No, no. I’m fine. Chanyeol doesn’t like sitting in cars. He rather walks.”

She shakes her head in disbelief and looks back at Baekhyun. “What are you standing there for?” she asks, motioning Baekhyun to get his to the kitchen. Baekhyun shrug a little, as though asking what she meant. “Go get us some water. Or something to drink. Go.”

“N-no, it’s really okay. I’m fine.”

She instructs Baekhyun one more time, “Go.” And Baekhyun did, scratching the back of his head as he goes.

She watches Baekhyun as he disappears around the corner and you followed her action. What is she waiting for? Then, suddenly, she turns back to you with a smile. Baekhyun obviously inherited his smile from her.

“Come, come!” she drags you the living room; another part of the house which makes your jaw drop instantly. “Sit, sit!” she tells you, pointing the double-seater sofa.

You look around as she sits down at the single-seater sofa just next to the one you’re sitting. Man, this living room is twice the size of your living room. Maybe even bigger. And the number of light bulbs in this room alone is probably as much as the number of light bulbs you have on the first floor back home.

“So how are things?” Again, with her questioning. Mums. They just like questioning people.

“Well,” you gulp as she looks at you, almost too interested. You have no idea what to say. “My studies are good. I think. And I just joined the Science and Math club so—“

She shakes her head, “—no no, I’m talking about how are things with our Baekhyun!”

“B-Baekhyun? Our Baekhyun?” What about him? You don’t remember being responsible in reporting Baekhyun’s stuffs to his mum. Not like you can’t. You probably can write a thick report for her on Baekhyun everyday if she asks to.

She smiles cheekily and says, “Don’t be shy!”

You shoot her a confused look. “Uhh, I-I’m not, Mrs. Byun.”

She jumps a little from her seat, “Don’t call me Mrs. Byun. You can me mum if you like!”

Okay, so now she’s wrecking you list of scary people of the day. You let out a small awkward laugh, “You’re funny.”

She sits back and crosses her arms. “Why not? You might as well start getting used to calling me that.”

You lean forward, really confused. Is she asking you to be her stepdaughter? “Sorry, Mrs. By—“ her eyes widens and you clear your throat. “—mum. I’m sorry, I’m kind of slow. Is there something that I’m missing?”

“Our Baekhyunnie likes you.”

You choke on her words. “W-what?”

“Can’t you see it? Feel it?” Mrs. Byun asks, scooting over to your place. She’s ever so close to you.

You scratch your head. Is she testing you? “A-am I supposed to feel anything?”

She looks away with a sigh, “You’re really as slow as our Baekhyunnie.” She turns back to you, her right hand gently patting the upper side of her left chest, “I feel it. That dumb boy might not mention it but I know it.”

Oh, so Baekhyun didn’t really said he likes you.

You purse your lips then look down.

She pushes your chin up slowly, “You like him, don’t you?” You nod gently. “Then you have to trust me. I’m his mother!” she assures you. Mums. What can you possibly do with them?

Just then, Baekhyun returns with two cups of coffee. He places it down on the table, just in front the both of you. He sits down

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter