Chapter 17

The Boys Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Narrator's POV

Chanyeol peered into the room, his hand slick on the door handle. He was self concious about everything at that moment- the way his entire body sagged, the way his lungs constricted and relaxed as if it was having trouble doing its job. And at that moment, Chanyeol wished he could turn back time. 

 

"K— Kyungsoo?" 

 

As Chanyeol expected, the boy under the covers did not respond. The only sound that shattered the deafening silence was the occasional beep of the many machines around Kyungsoo. There were lots of tubes protuding from the machines and under the covers. Chanyeol tried not to ponder too long on where the tubes were attached to. And to think that those bruises and cuts were all made by his own fists...

 

"Chanyeol!"

 

He turned around to face his manager who wore a pinched expression. Manager hyung in the last few drops of his cheap coffee from the metallic can. Chanyeol listened to the draining sound until Manager hyung chucked the can and the straw into the green garbage can. The can made it but the straw did not. 

 

"What... what happened?" Manager hyung said slowly. He slid a cautious hand around Chanyeol's shoulder, pulling him close. Chanyeol could feel the manager's fingers trembling as if he was scared that Chanyeol would attack him the next second. Chanyeol knew it too; he could not predict himself. One second he was this, and the split next second, he was something else. One second Chanyeol, next second Monster.

 

"I'm so sorry."

 

"Don't apologize to me," the manager said, raising an eyebrow. "Hopefully Kyungsoo will wake up to hear that apology soon."

 

Chanyeol felt his insides clench. All of a sudden, the clothes he was wearing became too tight; the air was too hot. He pulled at his collar. "Well, when will he be waking up then?"

 

"We don't know."

 

Chanyeol slid out of his manager's grip and turned to leave.

 

"Where are you going?" Manager hyung asked. "Shouldn't you be at least a little responsible for Kyungsoo? And at least be a little respectful and stay here?" Manager hyung's soft and soporific voice was replaced by a harsh one. The words grated against Chanyeol's ears and he cringed but he managed to crack a smile. 

 

"Oh, hyung. I know Kyungsoo. He'd rather stay in his coma than have me in his hospital room. Trust me."

 

 

The days were slow for the boys. Each text message and phone call that arrived was eagerly welcomed by one of the boys, hopeful for eager news. A few calls were from Thea's friends; none of the boys were not in the mood to scold Thea for spreading private information. That was Kyungsoo's job. Now there was no one to scream and point out every single flaw about the girl— so she was happy.

 

The phone started to vibrate, colorful lights coming to life from the sides of the worn phone. Sehun opened his blood shot eyes as soon as he felt the tremor coming from his outstretched palm. Baekhyun was by his side in seconds. Then Suho came, followed by Kai. Even Chanyeol stumbled out of his room, rubbing his pale face.

 

"Go on," Baekhyun whispered. He took a deep breath. "Answer it."

 

Sehun shut his eyes. "Please, please, please let it be good news."

 

"We miss you so much, Kyungsoo," Suho added. His comment only stirred more uneasiness and impatientness. The leader put his left arm around Kai's shoulder and his right one around Sehun's waist. "Go on." With fumbling fingers, Sehun pressed the answer key on the phone. The boy's expression was sanguine, dimly lit with hope. It was three in the morning and the five boys were crowded over a phone like it was Jesus' birth in the stable again.

 

Baekhyun could already hear the phone conversation in his head. Kyungsoo's awake! He's healthy and he's in good health! He'll be home in no time! Baekhyun felt a smile spreading on his face. The sudden optimistic thoughts warmed his entire body. But when he zoned back into reality again, the coldness returned- this time with an icy blast.

 

"I am so ing sick of you," Sehun was whispering into the phone. The way his tone was hushed made his threats sound even more powerful than it would have been if he shouted. The boys were taken back. They never heard Sehun sound so menacing and sinister before. Baekhyun leaned in and heard a girl's gushing voice on the other end of the line: "Can you just tell me good night or something, pretty please? I'm right outside your door."

 

Baekhyun didn't want to overexaggerate what happened, but really, everything happened in slow motion. The phone was all the way across the room in a matter of seconds. Chanyeol was running down the hall, then spreading his arms out to forbid Sehun from entering th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter