Chapter 12

The Boys Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Your POV

It was a restless night for you. You and the boys came back after an awkward relaxation time at the park, and immediately slept, exhausted by the tension that had risen that day. You heard Chanyeol taking an extremely long hot shower. Steam was escaping through the crack between the door and the doorpost. Chanyeol came out with a towel wrapped around his bottom, and you could hear him coughing. He must have gotten really sick from standing in the rain.

 

Every time you tried to close your eyes, memories would flash. The name Yoora brought so many horrible memories. It wasn't a common name either; how in the world did Kai choose that name out of a million? Unless he knew something about you already...

 

━ 

Flashback: 13 Years Back

 

Those memories when government officials broke into your house those many years ago, to scavenge through the darkness of the house for your parents. Mother was screaming softly, telling your Father to hide in the closet. She grabbed a key and fumbled around to open a drawer. She drew out a few papers with the red "Confidential" stamped on the fronts. You watched from the corner. Your parents were oblivious to the fact that you were there. So you croaked out a sound to let them know.

 

"Yoora," your Mother frantically, her eyes shifting from you and the closed bedroom door. "Yoora, get under the bed."

 

"The bed? But it's dirty and-"

 

"Just get in there!"

 

You never saw your gentle, clement mother look so frightened. She never raised her voice either and now in the middle of the night, she was yelling at you, and your father was trying to get in the closet with the Confidential papers clasped tightly in his hands. You dove under the bed, hitting your head on the side as you did. You stifled a moan and instead slid in more so that you were against the wall.

 

Your hair was messy and all over your face, but you didn't dare move. You could hear voices outside the bedroom door and before you could process your thoughts to ponder who it could be, a fist slammed on the door from outside. There was muffled talking on the other side, then a loud voice: "Mr and Mrs Lee? I will kindly ask for you to open the door immediately. We are government officials. Please open the door now."

 

Father was quiet, probably hiding in the closet. Mother was breathing quickly and heavily. After a few prolonged seconds, Mother calmly opened the door. You heard the clink of the door opening. Becoming even more frightened, you curled your body into a tight ball.

 

"... always knew he was a spy all this time," a man was saying. He had a gruff, forceful voice. "But he never admitted it. We'd like to take you both into the government court, just to... investigate for a while."

 

"What do you mean for a while?" Mother asked, her voice turning quite shrill.

 

"Woman, you are the accomplice of a spy," the man with the gruff voice said. "Spies are not taken lightly in this country. Why the were you passing important government papers behind the president's back? How much money did North Korea pay you to get our information, hmm? Just because your husband was a senior officer at the government does not give him any rights to do such acts. Now, where is he?"

 

Men came piling into the room, their hands banging against the walls, looking behind the curtains, under the tables, behind the bookshelves. Then one of them tried to open a large closet. His fingers clasped around the knob and he pulled. But the closet did not open.  "This one," the man said. 

 

You heard your mother stifle a cry before passing over the key. The men jarringly shoved the key into the hole and clicked open the lock. They hurled open the door and dragged your father out. The Confidential papers flew out and one came fluttering under the bed.

 

You took the risk to stretch your neck to catch a glimpse of it. There was your father's messy scrawl covering the page, including something about "2 billion dollars fee information" and "will not be able to refund the money again" and realized that your family was able to move out of the dumps to the huge mansion because your Father was passing secret information to receive money. 

 

A large hand came sliding under the bed and you gasped. You pressed yourself against the wall even more. The hand searched under the bed, unable to find the paper. Using your pointer finger, you slid the paper towards the eager hand. It found the sheet and immediately pulled it out, victorious of its find.

 

"We'll have you board the helicopter immediately," the man with the gruff voice said. Right on cue, whirring and slicing sounds came from above the house. "Mr. Lee. Thinking about it, don't you have a daughter or a son? I think a daughter. I remember seeing pictures of her on your desk at work."

 

"She's not here," came Father's prompt reply.

 

"Oh, really?" his voice was doubtful.

 

"Should we search for her, sir?" said the other men.

 

"Actually no," said the man with the gruff voice. His voice softened slightly. "I bet you tried to earn money for your daughter right? For her to have a better life? I have a son too. Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun. He's a good kid and I want the best for him for everything. Except

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter