Chapter 15

The Boys Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Your POV

The morning was unexpectedly quiet. Usually you were either awoken to a grinning Kai holding a paper cut-out of his face, or an embarrassed Suho peaking in through the small crack of the door, as if seeing a girl in her pajamas was a sin. Today was eerily quiet, the atmosphere silent and tranquil. You pulled yourself upwards, savoring the few moments of life you had to yourself. The EXO members didn't seem to acknowledge that girls needed time alone and privacy in showers.

 

"What do you mean, you mean some girl time?" Sehun pointed out the other day, pushing his entire upper body against the bathroom door. "I share the bathroom with my hyungs all the time."

 

You barked at him, telling him that girls needed time alone. After a few moments of silence, Sehun asked if he could at least check if you were using the correct toothbrush.

 

In the end somehow, you were persuaded by Sehun. The boy came flying into the bathroom when you suddenly pulled the bathroom door wide open. He grinned sheepishly before sitting on the toilet seat with the lid closed. He looked at you, the corners of his mouth twitching. "Go on with whatever you were doing," he prompted you, waving his hands.

 

"You wanted to check my toothbrush," you said flatly. You hitched up your fluffy pants and smoothed down your hair. Though you didn't care if you looked good in front of this kid, you still wanted to look good in front of idols. And unfortunately, this kid still fell under the "idol" category.

 

Sehun didn't even bother looking at your toothbrush. "It's correct."

 

You raised an eyebrow at the door, hoping Sehun would get the idea and leave. But instead, he crossed his legs and propped his chin on his knees. He looked at you with a small, boyish grin. Though you never wanted to resort to the idea, you ended up using your emergency method. 

 

"Suho? Can you take Sehun out of the bathroom?"

 

Sehun whipped around, his eyes narrowed and glinting. "B- but you promised not to call Suho!" he hissed.

 

Suddenly, Sehun jumped up from his seat. He grabbed your shoulders with his hands. Before you could shake him lose, Sehun's face changed from being immature to being completely serious. He started to rub his thumb up and down, caressing your back. You felt shivers go down your spine, and you were unable to stop them. When you diverted your eyes away from his piercing stare, Sehun pinched your chin with two fingers and tilted it back up. "I think you're beautiful." 

 

The words were still ringing in your head after Suho dragged the boy away. Even after you finished scrubbing your face, leaving it pink and raw. Even after the delicious meal Kyungsoo had cooked for breakfast. Even after Kai trailed his finger down your arm almost unconsciously while you were watching television with the boys.

 

I think you're beautiful.

 

 

Narrator's POV

"Hey beautiful," Chanyeol slid the envelope across the wooden, circle table with two fingers. He smiled when the boy picked up the envelope, and muffled a sneer when the boy was unable to control his horrified expression. "What about it, Baekhyun?" He drummed his fingers on the table to make him seem impatient.

 

"You can't..." Baekhyun feebly his cracked lips. His voice was cracking. He pushed the enveloped away, shaking his head. "You know that I can't. Are you trying to make fun of me?" He rubbed his arms up and down as if he was cold. But Chanyeol noticed sweat trickling down Baekhyun's neck. His veins were protuding out as he breathed in and out. 

 

"Why not?" Chanyeol pushed his chair back. He put his legs up on the table but lowered them when he figured that his legs were too long and lanky to stay in that position. He lifted his glass of Iced-Chocolate to his plump lips before dropping it onto the table. Baekhyun watched as the ice-cubes clinked against the glass. "I have every right to ask for my money back."

 

Baekhyun's tongue was out again, flashing over his lips. "I don't have money," he said quietly. 

 

Chanyeol gave a smug smile. "I know. I just want you to know that you owe me your life. I don't want you to forget that you're only living the life you have right now because of me. These days," Chanyeol rubbed his neck, "You seem a little rebellious. Like you're forgetting your place. You belong under me, understand? You don't stop me when I want to around with the other members."

 

"I don't understand why you hate them so much," Baekhyun whispered. He brought his eyes up but quietly lowered them. He was unable to meet Chanyeol's gaze. It brought too many memories back. Too many memories that Baekhyun tried to bury over the past few years. Memories that sometimes crawled out from the box at the back of his head, conjoining up horrible nightmares when Baekhyun slept. Those eyes that caused so many sleepless nights. The screaming, and his own pillow smoldering his face, but in his head it was Chanyeol's hand. To wake up sweating, with Kai's cool hand on his chest. His red lips whispering, "It's okay. It's okay." But Baekhyun whispers back while shaking his head, "It's not okay."

 

"It's not okay," Baekhyun says.

 

Chanyeol seemed to be lost in thought. His dark brown eyebrows were furrowed, a crease folding down the middle of his forehead. "I don't hate them. It's not like I need a reason to abuse them right?" He said this with great effort, as if he couldn't understand what he was saying either. Before Baekhyun could press him more, Chanyeol stood up. "I don't want any more trouble from you. Or I'm really going to ask for the money." He smiled a little, tilting his head in a mocking manner. "And can I say this before I leave? I don't think you'll be able to pay the money back in two life times, Byun Baekhyun." 

 

Baekhyun ended up paying for Chanyeol's drink. The cup was stuck to the table though. He pulled with all his might and the cup popped up, spilling the remaining liquid and ice cubes onto his shirt. He dabbed himself with a few napkins. The cup left a stain on the wooden table. Baekhyun walked over to the cashier, pulling his brown wallet out of his back pocket. The cashier asked for 17 dollars.

 

"S- S- Seventeen Dollars?" Baekhyun sputtered, the number feeling too big in his mouth. "I'm paying for one Iced-chocolate." 

 

The cashier rolled her eyes and extended her palm. "I know. 17 dollars."

 

Baekhyun's first call was to Sehun. 

 

"Hyung," he said. "I'll run over there, but I only have 5 dollars on me. You said you have 2? That's only 7, hyung." Sehun chided Baekhyun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter