66

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Identity was partly heritage, partly upbringing, but mostly the choices you make in life.” 

- Patricia Briggs, Cry Wolf

They say that the way a place is designed and decorated reflects its inhabitance. If you could describe the room in one word, it would be empty. The room you had been directed into was wide and spacious. Whatever furniture was inside was peppered throughout the area, everything close enough to seem like decor, but far enough to make the room feel like it was still missing something. Emptiness. That's what you interpreted as you looked about the tan walls and gold drapery. Then again, it was a holding area for the seven of you, not a guest room, so it wasn't really anything to complain about.

"Hey," the timber voice of Kris called, bringing you to attention, "How are you feeling?" You brushed your hands through your clean hair and smiled, "I feel sanitized, which is pretty fantastic!" The man's eyes turned up in happy crescents as he laughed at your relaxed expression. "That's great to know. Anyway, one of the workers here said that we're going to be summoned soon, so I just wanted to let you know in advance." You beamed at him and patted his shoulder. "Thanks. The others seem to be holding up pretty well, except Sehun." The two of you glanced over at the mentioned man, who stood on the opposing side of the room.

"I don't get why we have to meet with the leaders of These people. I'm just here to find Yeja and leave! Why am I even here? And why the heck do I feel so anxious?" Sehun grumbled, extremely frustrated. He shifted uncomfortably in his clothing. The fabrics were too smooth for his liking. The seamstress who attended him said it was made out of silk, whatever that was. For some unknown reason, the seamstress dressed the rest of you in clothes that, in comparison to Sehun's own, looked rather plain. Not that anyone was complaining. It had been quite a while since any of you had gotten a good bath and some new articles of clothing to wear.

"Perhaps it's because you are about to stand before, what were they called again? The Fathers of Flight?" Luhan chuckled lazily as he laid his body across the couch, his limbs hanging off the the edge. "Fathers of Sight, Luhan," Kris sighed, rubbing his glabella, "I advise you to get the name of Rayhem's leaders correct. I'm certain that they will not be tolerant of your jokes." Luhan rolled his head over to face the older man and clicked his tongue. "Tsk, come on, lighten up a little. What kind of person can't appreciate a good joke? Oh wait.." Luhan muttered, his eyes looking over at Tao, who was currently staring out of one of the windows in the waiting room. "I can feel you staring at me, stupid," Tao grunted, not bothering to turn around. "Wow, the Cyreen has bestowed upon me a title of honor! How gracious of you, kind sir," the Musan teased. Tao sent a dark glare in the other's direction, a loud, "Shut up, Luhan," itching on the tip of his tongue. But he restrained himself, shaking his head as he cracked his knuckles. He was too tired for this.

"It's better for you to be the bigger person," Suho whispered softly to Tao, giving the other a gentle smile. Tao hadn't noticed the other's presence till that moment, since the man had rather nimble feet. He sighed and nodded his head. "I know. He makes me so worked up and exhausted," he whispered, groaning into his hands as he pulled his face downwards. Suho hummed and gave the other a pat on the back. "I think he does it to get reactions from you. Maybe if you stop, he'll stop," the older suggested. "That sounds like the more painful plan. Wish I could just kill him or something," Tao grumbled. Suho chuckled, "But it's less of a mess. If you killed him, we'd have to clean up all the evidence!" "True," the younger replied, a smirk crawling up his otherwise stony face as he locked playful eyes with the Scribe, who seemed to be enjoying his own joke a little too much.

"Suho, do you know where the travel book is?" Kai called from the corner, "The one you told be about the other day? I wanted to look up some information about the tribe of Rayhem." The Harum looked up and blinked for a moment, eyebrows furrowed as he looked at the younger. "Travel book... Travel book..." he muttered in a confused tone, "I was holding it that day, and then... Where did I put it?" Kai rolled his eyes and grinned as he walked over to the pile of bags and cases, which the guards had so ungraciously thrown on the floor. "You know, it's pretty ironic how you're an official Scribe for Ordea, and yet, you have the worst short term memory loss I've ever encountered," he laughed. "Shhhh! I'm thinking!" Suho hollered, running his hands through his hair as he paced back and forth, trying his hardest to remember where he had put the book.

"Um, Suho, do you think it's in one of the chests? Or in a satchel?" Kris inquired, making his way over towards Kai and the stash of belongings. The older began opening some of the bags along with the younger. "I-I don't know! I can't remember," Suho stuttered as he ran over to help search, "Gosh I'm hopeless, aren't I?" Kris chuckled and shook his head, "No you're not. You're just unique. We'll find it, don't worry." The Scribe sighed and facepalmed himself. "Why can I never remember where anything is?" You laughed and gave him a bright smile. "Like Kris said, it's one of the qualities that makes you, you." "Found it," Kris proclaimed, handing the leather book over to Kai, who quickly thanked him before bouncing off to the desk to analyze it, "See, no harm done." Suho shrugged his shoulders and sat on the floor. "I guess. There's got to be a better way for me to organize my things though," he muttered, staring up at the ceiling.

"Anyway, what do you think they're going to talk to us about?" You asked, looking at the others with uncertainty. "Well, I can't be certain, but I have read about how they function as a people group, and I'm sure Sehun could confirm with me if there are rumors about them floating around the Ökenna," Suho began, "As far as I know, they are considered an extremely prejudice, discriminatory group of people." "Psh, more like a group of sick minded racists," Sehun huffed, his arms crossed against his chest. Your eyes widened. "Racists? To what extent?" you asked. "Well, you've heard about how they buy and sell slaves," Sehun answered, "The only people they enslave are the other tribes that live in the Ökenna. They believe that they are so superior to the likes of us, that the only purpose for our lives is like that of work animals. Our lives are not as valuable as theirs." You felt a deep, burning anger begin to rise up within you. "What?" you shouted exasperatedly, "What kind of deranged mindset is that?"

"That's exactly why every other tribe in the Ökenna hates them, and that's why none of them ever venture near here. That, and the birds, which you all already have experienced," Sehun continued. "Every slave here was captured, kidnapped, and sold to them like objects," Suho added, a grim expression on his face as he looked sympathetically at the younger boy. "We better prepare what we will and will not reveal in conversation to the leaders then," Kris said, gaining approving nods from the other guys. "We won't tell them that we're here to also save Yeja, Baekhyun, and Lay. That would put us in hot water," Kai said, flipping through the pages of the travel book. "Agreed," Kris said with a hum. "We need to be cautious about how we conduct ourselves as well," Tao added, "If they are as racist as Sehun has described, none of us are safe. They will probably be on high alert if we bring all our weapons along with us when we walk around, so I think it's best to stick to minimal weaponry and focus on hand-to-hand combat."

"And what about our abilities?" Kai inquired, a playful smile on his face, "Not that I mind a good fist-fight." "Don't show anyone your abilities until necessary. The only two who they know have abilities are Kris and Sehun." Tao answered. "Hm, all right then," he agreed, bringing his attention back to the book. "Let's all try to act as civil as possible. And Luhan, no wandering, okay?" Suho said, sending a peering glance at the other boy. "Me? Wandering? Psh, I would never," Luhan laughed with a sarcastic tone in his voice. "Luhan, I'm serious. No wandering." Suho repeated, sterner than the first time. "Geez, fine! Fine! No wandering." the younger replied, raising his hands up in surrender.

As the others continued to talk through the game plan, you noticed Sehun had moved away from everyone else. His hands folded together, Sehun sat on the floor up against a wall, his fingers fiddling nervously. The other guys hadn't noticed yet, so you walked over and slid down beside him, taking this opportunity to talk with him privately. He glanced at you with a rather tense expression. "How are you feeling?" you asked, echoing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter