34

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.” 

- Sarah Dessen, The Truth About Forever

"Are you ready?" you asked Baekhyun as the group headed out through the caverns of Jareth. Baekhyun was leading the group out through the safe passages of the caverns, using the light glowing from his hand to aid your sight. "As ready as I'll ever be!" he said cheerfully. "I've never really gone outside of the city before. I've only gone a few times when I was younger, so I'm really excited to be able to travel with you!" You smiled. "Well, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time," you replied before turning your head back to the others.

They all seemed to be a bit tense, but nevertheless, they were all ready to leave the caves and return to the sunlight. "I don't understand how you can stand living in a cave," Suho mused. "It's so dark and musty! And all these dangerous creatures that live in here freak me out!" "Aren't you from the Makdio? The Western Sea Province?" Luhan asked, looking back at the scribe who was currently jumping in fright with every sound he heard. "Yeah? So?" Suho replied. "Well... Isn't that also musty and full of dangerous creatures?" "Yeah, and isn't the library of your people in the darkest part of the ocean?" Tao added, raising an eyebrow at him. Suho blinked. "...This is completely different though!!!" he huffed, turning his head away and grabbing a book from his bag. He used the book to cover his embarrassed face by pretending to read it.

You giggled lightly at his reaction. Suddenly, you felt a pair of hands squishing your cheeks and pinching them. "My destiny is so cute!!!" Baekhyun gushed, pulling your cheeks in all different directions. "Bweckhwung~ Swap squwishing mway fwace!" you whined, trying to pull his hands off your face. "No!" Baekhyun said, grinning happily before another pair of hands extracted his away. "If she doesn't want you to do something, don't do it," Kris said in a lowered voice. You couldn't be sure, but you thought you saw a challenging glint in both Kris' and Baekhyun's eyes. But soon the look in Baekhyun's eyes disappeared and was replaced with a cheerful expression. 

"Okay, Mr. Grumpy," Baekhyun joked as he looked back towards you. "I'm sorry, Kora. I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable." You nodded. "It's okay," you replied. Kris' face scrunched up a bit; his deadly gaze fixed upon an unsuspecting Baekhyun, which made it hard for you to hold in your laughter.

Only then did you notice Kai grumbling to himself behind you. You assumed that due to Luhan and Tao's bickering, you were not able to hear him earlier. "Kai? Are you alright?" you asked, walking over towards him. "Fine. Never been better," he said, looking over at you with a small smile. You frowned. "Are you sure?" You leaned in closer, but he backed away. "I-I'm fine, Kora. Really. I was just... thinking." You blinked. "Thinking?" His gaze stayed lowered. "Yes. Thinking."

You were going to ask more questions when you heard a loud, "HEY, GUYS, THERE'S THE LIGHT! WE'RE OUT OF THE CAVE!" It was Suho. He was obviously excited to be getting outside again. You smiled and looked back at Kai, who still seemed to be lost in his train of thought. Although everyone else had already exited the cavern, he remained still and silent. "Kai, I'm sure your brother and sister are okay," you reassured him, smiling softly before taking his hand and pulling him out of the cave. His eyes grew large, darting down to look at your hand intertwined with his.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter