25

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I will never buy a fish tank, because I don't believe in supporting the funding of aquatic war machines.” 

-  Jarod Kintz, It Occurred to Me

You were taken somewhere cold and damp. You could smell dust and dirt in the air, and it was so dark that you couldn't see your hand in front of your own face. Where am I? What is going on here? you thought before remembering what had happened to you. Your upper body was still inside the bag you had been abducted in. You tried to speak, but your mouth was gagged, and soon, you heard a commotion outside your current object of containment.

In an instant, the bag was taken off of your body, and your eyes adjusted to the lighting of the room. It was a dark and grey setting, and you had a strange feeling that this place was most likely a place of interrogation and meeting for whoever seized you. Your head spun around quickly as your eyes found the figures of Suho, Luhan, and Kai, all who were sitting on chairs with their hands restrained just as yours were. The four of you were lined up next to one another, perfectly spaced apart.

Then, there was a low rumbling noise, and through the dimness, you could see a large metal door creak open. In walked a triangular formation of hooded figures, all of which entered with the same pace and body position as one another. They followed this set pattern before stopping before you and peering at you from under their hoods, which made it impossible to see anything besides the glint in their eyes.

Finally, after an eternity of silence, the member in the front of the formation pushed back his hood so that you could perceive his face. "Ungag them," the man said. He looked at each one of us as our mouths were freed from the cloths before fixing his gaze on Luhan. "So... You are the travelers who broke into the Underground?" he asked, smirking slightly. He circled us with a confident stride.

"And yes, we are not stupid. We know that all of you have abilities which would enable you to escape, but we have the faith that none of you would leave any member of your party behind," the man continued. "Why are we here?" Suho asked calmly, his eyebrows raised. The man turned his head and summoned with his left hand another hooded figure. In the figure's hands was a small wooden box with intricate designs.

"Do you know what those of the tribe of Cyreen who have remained together are now?" he asked, looking directly at you. You bit your bottom lip and slowly shook your head. He looked away and continued, eyeing each of the guys as well. "The Cyreens who chose to remain associated with one another, those being me and the people standing before you, are servants of the Kingdom of Ordea. We are the Brotherhood of Athosia."

"Brotherhood, like monks?" Kai asked, snickering. "Call us what you may, but we see into the future. The same power gifted in this one," the man said, pointing at Luhan, whose eyes widened. "But, you don't know me," Luhan began. "We don't need to. We know who each of you are, and we know whom you are looking for. He is one of our own," the man said.

"If that is so, then could he step forward please?" Suho asked. The man shook his head. "The one who is destined to join you is not here. He left us many years ago," he explained. You cocked your head to the right. "What? Why?" you asked. "He refused to fight. Strength and combat are in every Cyreen's blood.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter