52

Of The Guardians: Inheritor [Being Made Into a Novel Series]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hark, now hear the sailors cry, smell the sea, and feel the sky let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic...”

-Van Morrison

 

The seven of you swam after Suho, who led you the surface. The transition from water to air felt a bit strange. You could feel your lungs and chest shifting while your head rose out of the water. Just as you got to the top, a large wave suddenly crashed down on you, pushing your head back down under the water. "By the Maker Spirit!" Baekhyun gasped as he resurfaced, coughing up water, "What the heck was that?" Kai turned his head quickly, looking around to see what hit everyone. "Whoa!" he exclaimed, mouth falling agape.

A group of seven, both men and woman, skid across the surface of the water, whooping in laughter as they flew by on the waves. They shot across the water with such grace and speed you couldn't help but stare at them in awe. Huge smiles graced their faces as another wave came, pushing them further into the sea. "What is that?" you asked Suho, tugging his sleeve a bit. "That, my friends, is surfing," he said, his lips curled into a grin. "I've never seen anything like that before," Tao stammered, eyes as wide as yours. Even Lay looked speechless, and that's saying something considering his expressionless demeanor. "That's probably because the only people who do it are sea dwellers," Kris laughed, ruffling Tao's hair a bit. The younger boy glared at Kris as he fixing his hair, but secretly smiled to himself after turning his body. Kris rolled his eyes and chuckled, pretending that he saw nothing.

"How are they doing that?" Baekhyun asked as a girl flew by them across the water, sending another small wave his way. "You know how we all have powers?" Suho asked. Baekhyun nodded and the scribe continued, "Most of us have inherited abilities based on our tribe, yes? Whale, haha see what I did there? Whale, they have the same ability as me, except theirs were not activated by a relic like the Orb of Talsa, meaning that theirs' are untapped." "What do you mean?" Tao questioned, his eyebrows furrowed. "Every person with an ability has a percentage of potential to have their abilities activated," Suho replied, waving his hands at the surfers passing you. "Then what makes us any different from anyone else?" Luhan asked.

"Because your activation is guaranteed, and you have the spirit of your Guardian within you," a low voice said. A rather tall, tan skinned man made his way over to you. His feet touched the top of the waves, almost like he was gliding on them. A huge wave carried him over, towering over you like it was read to engulf you completely. You were about ready to dive down before the wave suddenly began to shrink. It grew smaller and smaller, until there was nothing left but a man wading beside the rest of you. He sent a bright, toothy smile to everyone and instantly you knew who it was.

"Dad!" Suho exclaimed, swimming over and giving his father a huge hug. The older man laughed and hugged his son, patting his back lightly. You noticed that they looked very similar. Suho took after his father more for sure. They had the same smile and bright eyes. And strangely enough, the same laugh as well. "Kris! It's good to see you!" Suho's dad cheered as he tackled the messenger in a hug. "Aah!" Kris yelled as he got pushed under the water as the older man bear hugged him. He coughed a bit before smiling and giving him a pat on the back. "It's good to see you too."

"And these must be your friends," Suho's father said, turning to the rest of you with a grin. You bowed your head along with everyone else, greeting him with a shy smile. "What a good looking group of kids," his father beamed, "Especially this young lady." You bit your lower lip, embarrassed by the compliment. "Oh, uh... Thank you," you said with a bow of your head. Suho's father laughed quickly, "Now which one of you has snatched her up?" "Sir!" Kris exclaimed, his face reddening a bit. Suho's father eyed him before howling hysterically, "I'm just kidding, geez! Calm down kid." Kris rubbed the back of his neck and looked down at the water.

"Now, what was that about spirits being in us?" Luhan asked. Suho's father blinked before raising his head to the sky. "Ah, that's right. As I was saying, literally, you have a part of the Guardians within you. They are a part of you, and that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter