CHAPTER 9

ETERNITY

 

CHAPTER 9







2:15 p.m.

What’s wrong with him? Sandara peers her head out behind the corner edge of a brick wall. The same young man she met at the restaurant is now walking into a coffee shop. Her forehead creases as she leans her head back against the wall. It is bugging her brain out trying to comprehend what her eyes been seeing for the past forty-five minutes. He’s too kind to be a vampire… She closes her eyes remembering what happened earlier.

After leaving the restaurant the young man walked into the busy streets of Myeong-dong. Sandara trailed a couple yards behind him. A young mother was too busy bickering on her phone that she did not notice her toddler son separate from her side. But the young man did notice and he carelessly lifted the wandering toddler into his arms. He kindly tapped the young mother’s shoulder. She turned around with a surprise and embarrassed expression on her face. She gratefully bowed at him and immediately took her son from his arms. The young man continued his walk down the street unknowingly being followed by Sandara.

A few minutes have passed and the vampire she’s been following has yet again surprised her. Sandara’s mouth gaped open like a fish when she saw how calm this vampire was when a fight broke out in front of an ice cream store. The fight was between two teenage school boys. Bystanders just passed by the rowdy boys while a group of young crowd surrounded them. Typical vampires that Sandara knew of would not even dare take a glance if this scene happened in front of them. But this vampire is unbelievable – he was able to calm both boys down. He still used his strength to pull the boys apart. The way he did it made him look like a good and caring person. Sandara involuntarily slapped her forehead and tried to erase that good thought of this vampire.


Sandara feels her phone vibrate in her pocket. She pulls her phone out and reads the screen. She lets out a sigh. This abnormal vampire is very lucky Bom just texted…she saved his …Aigoo, I should head back to the hotel before she finds out I was following this vampire. I’m off duty…. She puts her phone back in her pocket and sticks her head back out behind the wall.

“Before I go, I want to see him up close one more time…just to ease this weird feeling…”

Sandara gracefully walks up to the front of the coffee shop. She reaches out for the door when suddenly a bunch of preteen boys burst out of the front door nearly hitting her. The door missed hitting her but one of the boys was forcefully shoved towards her instead. They both fell onto the cement ground. The boy’s weight on top of her felt like a heavy boulder. She had to force herself not to use her strength and played a damsel in distress. The boy looked like he was in pain too from falling on top of her. He thought he fell on the cement and did not notice her underneath him. Suddenly his weight was instantly relieved from her and standing before her is the vampire she was stalking. His eyes looked scary as he stared down each and every preteen boy surrounding them. His grip tightened on the boy he pulled off of Sandara.

“Apologize to this young lady!” His voice made the group of boys shiver in fear. All of them instantly bowed.

“Joe-song-hab-nida!” The boys said in unison. They remained in their bowing position and waited for a response back. 

Sandara notices the boy he was holding was nervously shaking for the verdict. She glances back at the vampire and nods her head. He releases the boy from his grip, “You boys should have manners and not act like wild animals. You’re humans please act civilized. Now, go!”

“We’re very sorry!” The boys bowed again before running off.

The young man steps closer to Sandara and gently holds her right elbow. She panics and pulls her elbow back and covers it. I hope I’m not bleeding or he’ll find out I’m a Guardian! Sandara rubs her elbow. She does not feel any blood or scrape. She let’s out a sigh of relief. 

“Are you hurt?” He reaches his hand out again to her injured elbow. He moves her hand away from her elbow and sees a red mark. “That will turn into bruise…Can you move your elbow? Shall I take you to a hospital?”

Sandara flexes her elbow back and forth then shakes her head, “It will bruise and it’s not broken. I’m fine, thank you.” She covers her elbow again.

“My name is Yang Seung-ho.” He offers his hand.

Sandara takes his hand and shakes it, “Sandara.”

“A beautiful name fit for a beautiful young lady.” His smile reaches his eyes. 

Sandara pulls her hand back. She does not like the look in his eyes. His eyes are abnormal too! How is it possible to change from fierce and scary to nice and loving? Impossible! I’ve never seen this kind of eyes in any vampire I have encountered. Her phone vibrates. She pulls it out and answers her phone. “I’m sorry. I have to take it.” She turns around and whispers. She knows there’s no point in whispering because he can hear her with his vampire senses. But she must keep up her human façade since it’s a disadvantage for vampires that they can’t tell humans and guardians apart.

“Are you okay? Did you get hurt? And why are you in front of a coffee shop?” Bom fires her questions away.

“I’m fine and how did you know? Are you here now?” Sandara glances back at Seung-ho and tries to see if Bom was in the coffee shop through the glass window. Seung-ho also turns around to see what Sandara was looking at. 

“Silly, I’m not in the coffee shop. Stop looking…he’s looking at you weirdly. Anyways I’m almost there. Meet me in front of Louis Vuitton in 5 minutes. I want to buy a purse before I take you back to the hotel.”

Sandara hears a click. Shock was written all over her face. How. Did. She. Do. That? She did not notice Seung-ho walk in front of her and wave his hand to get her attention. He gently shakes her shoulder. She blinks, “Oh! I’m sorry. I have to go now. I’ll be meeting my friend soon.”

“I could walk you to where ever you’ll meet your friend at. I feel the need to protect you.” Seung-ho frowns and looks back at the direction the boys ran off to. The boys have been long gone.

Him caring must be a façade to attract the girls. Har! Har! I don’t believe it! I’m not human so I won’t fall for your trap! But still, I can’t explain this weird feeling of his presence. He really is an abnormal vampire… Sandara shakes her head, “You don’t have to… I’ll be fine. She’ll be here in 5 minutes. Thank you for helping me earlier with those boys.”

“They were rude and ladies should be treated with respect. I really do insist, please let me take you?” Seung-ho pleaded with his eyes.

Sandara did not waver, “Seung-ho, thank you for your kind offer to me but I don’t need the protection.”

“I shouldn’t be deceived by your fragile look, right? You sound like a strong person. I’m sorry for insisting.” His eyes falters and he looks down at his shoes. “Um, since you declined my offer. May I buy you coffee before you go?”

Aigoo! His façade is really good. I’m falling into his trap…I feel guilty now. I’ll play your game too. There’s no harm in befriending vampire since it did not say in my order I can’t. Sandara lifts up his chin so he can look her in the eyes, “I’ll take that offer!”

Seung-ho smiles again, “Thank you!” He quickly opens the door for her and she steps in. He shadows her foot steps toward the counter. She orders a macchiato and looks back at him. “I’ll just have a cup of warm milk please.”

Sandara raises a brow, “You’re joking right?”

“Why would I joke with what I want to drink right now?” Seung-ho looks at her dumbfounded with her question.

Unbelievable! He even acts like a child drinking warm milk. Sandara remember it’s just an act! She shrugs her shoulders and faces the lady cashier. She hands the cup of macchiato to her and the cup of warm milk to Seung-ho. Seung-ho then hands her the money.

They both walk out of the coffee shop. Sandara smiles, “Thanks for the drink! I should go now…”

“You’re welcome.” Seung-ho pulls out a business card and hands it to Sandara. “I would ask you for your number but I have a feeling you won’t give it to me. So please take this and if ever you need someone to talk to or need help feel free to call me anytime. I can be your personal bodyguard. Free of charge!” He grins.

Sandara looks at the card then back at Seung-ho, “I’ll think about it.” She laughs and starts walking down the street. She turns around and waves, “Take care Seung-ho!”

Seung-ho watches Sandara disappear into the crowd. I love the way she says my name. I wish I could forever hear her say my name. So it’s true about the saying it will hit you hard for love at first sight. “Sandara…” 

“Sandara?” 

“Who’s Sandara?”

Seung-ho turns around and spots his two friends curiously looking at him. He gently shoves their shoulders, “So did you guys find any angels out here?” They both shook their heads. “Byung Hee….”

“Uh oh! Are you okay? You’re calling me by my real name and not G.O. Something is definitely wrong!” G.O. shakes Seung-ho vigorously then looks at his male companion next to him who looks lost. “Joon, can you punch our friend over here?”

“Why? What did he do? He looks fine to me…” Joon still did not catch on to G.O.’s assumption.

Seung-ho brushes G.O.’s hands aside and starts walking. Joon and G.O. immediately falls in step beside Seung-ho. The three men in black suits look intimidating as they walk down the street. They stop in a deserted alley hidden in Myeong-dong. Seung-ho crosses his arms and leans back against the wall.

“So you guys didn’t find at least one Guardian here in Myeong-dong?” Seung-ho looks at them.

Joon shrugs his shoulders, “We are babo when it comes to finding guardians. I still don’t know why they send us out to find them…It’s so hard! I really can’t tell the difference.”

“It’s our duty.” G.O. pats Joon’s shoulder.

“But you do know if we don’t meet our quota we’ll get punished.” Seung-ho lets out a frustrated sigh. Sandara’s smile flashes in his mind and he smiles.

“Why are you smiling? You like it when we get punished?” G.O. raises a curious brow and steps closer to Seung-ho. “Who is Sandara?”

“I think I’ve fallen for a human…”Seung-ho pulls his phone out and looks at a stolen shot he took of Sandara’s back when she walked away. G.O. grabs his phone away and Joon peers over his shoulder to look at the phone.

“Wow! It’s like she’s glowing! Even from behind I can tell she must be a beautiful girl.” Joon swoons over to Seung-ho.

Seung-ho rolls his eyes, “Let’s be serious now about the guardians.”

G.O. continues to stare at the picture, “Changing topic eh? Love hit you hard huh? We’re not like other vampires…they think something is wrong with our genetic programming…?”

Joon chuckles, “It’s because we weren’t born vampires! We’re dark angels… We can’t keep up with their lifestyle but we still follow their orders because of our urges but we still have somewhat a heart right?”

Seung-ho feels his heart pound as he remembers Sandara saying his name. He grabs his phone back, “Vampires are blinded by their greed and they have not notice our true traits. You’re right about us having somewhat a heart. Well I believe us three have more of a heart than any other dark angels out there. We still remember our guardian parents’ teaching. We’ve carried it on with us even after our change. The other dark angels we’ve met really did change into vampires but you’re right about our programming being different. I still don’t understand why or how but at least we have each other and also it’s a good thing those vampires are blind.”

“Do you really believe the ONE can help us?” G.O. tilts his head.

“Well, the vampires said the ONE is more powerful than both our kinds. So I believe he can be the only one that can stop the vampires’ evil ruling.” Seung-ho puts his phone back in his pocket.

“How do you know the ONE is a guy?” Joon kicks a rock across the street.

“I don’t know. I just feel the ONE is a dude that can save us from this gruesome lifestyle.” Seung-ho looks at his watch.

G.O. also looks at his watch, “I hate killing humans and drinking their blood. I also hate getting the crap beaten out of even if we don’t really feel the pain. It’s just tiring…”

“At least we capture criminal humans to relieve our uneasy conscience. It’s time to head back to headquarters and inform them we haven’t caught any guardians. But let’s capture a couple humans before we go.” Joon looks at his watch and back at the two men.

“Seung-ho, we’ve been searching for the ONE more than a hundred years since you saw the red sky. Do you think we’ll ever find him?” G.O. starts walking ahead of them. 

Seung-ho pulls G.O. back, “I just have a gut feeling we’ll find him soon.”

G.O. smiles, “I believe you…I can’t wait to be free.”

------------------------------------------------









August 13, 1910 – 9:00 p.m.


“Tabi, I love nights like this…” Sandara snuggles herself comfortably in Seung Hyun’s arms. They are sitting at their usual spot beneath an old willow tree. The night sky is clear without any stars out. 

Seung Hyun nestles his head on the side of Sandara’s neck, “You love the crescent moon above more than me.” He sweetly pecks a kiss on her neck.

Sandara giggles, “No, the crescent moon is number 2 on my love list. You’re number 1 and forever number 1 in my heart.” She stares at the huge crescent moon up in the sky. “Every time I see the crescent moon it reminds me of you…”

“How so?” Seung Hyun turns Sandara’s head to look at him.

“Some nights when I can’t come out here with you and the crescent moon is out…I remember your smile…see doesn’t it look like it’s smiling right now?” Sandara tilts Seung Hyun’s head to look up at the moon. He smiles and she smiles. “I know some nights the crescent moon doesn’t look that way but it also brings me happiness knowing that we have its approval to be free in loving each other. I know you wish we can express our love for each other to my parents…” She solemnly looks away from Seung Hyun’s gaze.

“Dara…I’ll patiently wait until your ready…but please always remember I’ll stand by your side no matter what. My love for you is solid as a rock and I’m not backing out. Never.” Seung Hyun squeezes Sandara tightly.

“Do you also love the crescent moon?” Sandara playfully bites Seung Hyun’s wrist when he pulls his arms away to get a better look at her. He laughs.

“Like you, it also makes me happy. It’s like a light of hope in our dark sky even if it’s dim. But you know what? You shine the brightest in my dark sky. So please don’t go very far because I’m blind without you.” Seung Hyun pulls Sandara’s wrist close to his mouth and he takes his revenge and bites her wrist lightly.

Sandara laughs and she places her head on Seung Hyun’s chest. She listens to his heart beat, “Being in love makes us say silly things…”

“It’s not silly. My heart is speaking the truth.” Seung Hyun tugs Sandara’s wrist. She looks up at him and gives him a peck on his lips.

“I know.” Sandara pulls her wrist down and envelopes her hand into Seung Hyun’s hand. She feels the warmth in his hand. A cold breeze goes by and she shivers. Seung Hyun hugs her tighter and rubs her shoulder with his free hands.

Seung Hyun whispers into her hears, “Crescent moon, keep us safe…”




11:00 p.m.


Seung Hyun is standing in the garden area. He is staring at the pond. The crescent moon’s reflection is showing on the dark water. He looks like he is entranced by its presence. Suddenly the image of the crescent moon turns into ripple by the water disturbance. Seung Hyun snaps out of being hypnotized and realized a pebble was thrown in the water. He turns his head to the culprit. Mir is walking over to him. He turns his head back at the water.

“Hyung, I just spoke with noona and she said she’ll be gone for a couple days. She’s got a mission to do for the Elders. She said she’s sorry for cutting your crash course short but I can still teach you while she’s away.” Mir looks at the pond then back at Seung Hyun who is still staring at the pond. “What’s wrong?”

Seung Hyun looks up at the dark sky, “Crescent moon.”

“Yes it is indeed a crescent moon…what’s so special about it?” Mir looks up at the moon then looks confusingly back at Seung Hyun.

“I wonder if she’s seeing the same big sky….” Seung Hyun closes his eyes for a moment and sighs. He turns to face Mir, “I want to visit my old home. Can we go?”

“Er, I guess we can…Noona didn’t say we were forbidden to leave while she’s gone and we are of age…more than actually.” Mir laughs out loud and pulls Seung Hyun toward the house.

------------------------------------------------




Sandara is standing near her hotel balcony window. She smiles as she stares at the crescent moon. She wraps her arms around herself and rubs her cold shoulders, “Tabi…”

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I was inspired by the song "Crescent Moon" english version of Charice for this chapter.  
Here's the link you feel like listening to it. -> 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_nD17DjxVE