CHAPTER 4

ETERNITY

 

CHAPTER 4






March 12, 2010 – Seoul, Korea 6:00 p.m.


“Seung Hyun, did you have fun today?” Bom pats the top of Seung Hyun’s head like a puppy. He shrugs his shoulders. “I’ll be joining Mir’s family for dinner. Care to join us?”

“Er, I actually have a literature paper I need to finish. I’m sorry.” Seung Hyun nervously shoves his hands in his front pockets.

Mir wraps his arm around Bom. He starts dragging her away from Seung Hyun. “It’s alright hyung! Next time we’ll be the ones crashing at your place for dinner. One of these days we’ll appear unexpectedly in front of your apartment door. Beware!” He waves ‘good-bye’ to his friend. Bom too waves bubbly back at him while Mir forcefully drags her away.

Bom and Mir reach her car they quietly enter the vehicle. Once they closed their doors - they grin like happy lunatics. Mir is the first to break the silence of their happiness, “Noona, I just love what we’re doing. Finding lost Guardians is very fulfilling once we guide them back to our own kind.” 

“Mir, we haven’t completed this mission yet. But we’re very close!” Bom starts her engine.

“I know we’re not like in the highest department of the council but I think our department is the best place to be. I believe its hard living in this world thinking you’re alone and that there’s no one out there like you. It’s depressing and I wouldn’t know how to live with myself.” Mir strums his fingers across the dashboard of the car.

“It’s sad that not a lot of Guardians believe in our department. I mean we’re the only ones in the whole world that voluntarily goes out and finds lost Guardians. All of the head councils around the world are sure of themselves that they have everything under control and that each and every Guardian is officially listed in their areas. But why are there still some fallen angels that need us to guide them? They really should take into consideration that there are cracks in our system.” Bom makes a left turn into an empty alley.

“Our family has a very good heart. Too bad it’s only us two left that still goes on our mission to find fallen angels. The rest of our family has been called forward by the Elders and have their duties to protect.” Mir tries to adjust his eyes to the darkness of the alley way.

Bom turns off her engine and pulls her key out, “We’ve been called forward by them too but we still do our missions on the sideline. Seung Hyun will be joining us soon. But right now we got some vampires to negotiate with.” She smirks and dashes out of the car. Mir also joins her in a flash.

--------------------------------------------------



9:00 p.m. 

Seung Hyun is lazily lying on his couch. He stares at the ceiling fan spinning. It’s making him dizzy - he sits up, “I can’t stand this! It’s ridiculous that I’m afraid of falling asleep! Her death still haunts me every night…” 


*FLASHBACK*

November 12, 1910


Sang Hyun opens the door. Seung Hyun walks into their back kitchen. He follows Sang Hyun up the stairs. They stop in front of Sandara’s bedroom door. Sang Hyun holds onto the door knob, “Hyung…”

“Sang Hyun, I just want to see her one last time before I leave.”

“Where are you going?” Sang Hyun tightens his grip on the door knob. You can’t leave her. Hyung, fight for your love!

“Last night my heart told me otherwise what your noona said to me. My heart told me she was lying for a reason that I do not know of but if she wants us to be apart then I will obey her wish. I’ll patiently wait for her to come back to her senses. When she is ready I’ll come back for her. But for now, I’ll go on a journey and find myself. Maybe there’s a part of me that’s missing and I have to find it. Maybe Sandara saw that in me and that’s why she asked for us to distance ourselves.” Seung Hyun’s eyes leveled with Sang Hyun’s eyes. “Please let me see her.”

Sang Hyun slowly turns the door knob, “Hyung, I’m sorry…” He takes a step back and allows Seung Hyun to walk in. The door is now ajar wide open. Sang Hyun remains by the door as Seung Hyun takes a seat on Sandara’s bed. I can’t bear to look at them…It’s too painful…He looks down at his shoes.

Seung Hyun finds Sandara peacefully sleeping in her fluffy white bed. He gently caresses her cheek. Something is wrong. Her cheeks aren’t warm? He turns his head, “Sang Hyun? Is she sick?”

Sang Hyun does not utter a word. This is wrong! Noona, your powers is indeed very strong. You were quick enough to even drop your temperature this fast… I can’t believe what’s happening right now! You completely killed your own heart...I won’t be able to fix this noona.

“Sang Hyun, what’s wrong?” Seung Hyun’s instinct kicks in immediately. He places his hand over Sandara’s heart. No heartbeat? She’s not even breathing! His eyes bulge, “SANG HYUN?!! What’s wrong with her?!"

Sang Hyun knees becomes weak and he drops down on his knees, “She just passed away a couple hours ago….our parents went into to town to speak to some people…I’m sorry hyung….my noona was very ill and she did not want you to suffer with her….she loved you hyung….” He covered his face with his hands. “I’m so sorry hyung!” Forigve me for lying!

“NO!!!! She’s not dead!” Seung Hyun lifts her lifeless body up into his arms. He gently shakes her. She just flops back like a ragged doll. “No, Sandara! Our love is for ETERNITY! I’ll wait for you! You’re not dead!” He slowly rocks her in his arms and caresses her hair. His vision blurs as tears filled his eyes.

Sang Hyun stands up and walks out of the room leaving Seung Hyun and Sandara alone. He knows their parents will be home in a couple hours but he also knows Seung Hyun would leave before then. He hopes he does or else it will not end well when their parents find out about their secret relationship.

30 minutes pass by.

“Why Sandara?” Seung Hyun traces her lips with his thumb. I wasn’t expecting this…I thought I could leave you for awhile until I find out the truth about my identity. I’m not human…. My father revealed to me a year ago before he died that I was a ‘Guardian’. I never understood the meaning of what he said and ignored that fact. I unexpectedly found you and fell in love. My life only revolves around you but recently I started feeling some strange strength building inside of me. I fear that I might physically hurt you if I don’t find out what I really am…You started acting different this past week…something was bothering you…maybe you noticed I was changing? But I also noticed a change in you….maybe my eye sight is turning bad because I’m a so called ‘Guardian’…your heart Sandara appeared to be glowing this past whole week…I thought maybe it was just the sunlight during the day but last night I saw a light glow illuminating in your heart area…

“Now…” Seung Hyun stares at her heart. He adjusts her head and places on top of his chest. “Your heart is just sleeping…but my heart will forever stay awake…” He gently kisses her forehead. “Listen to my heart…it only beats for you and only you…my Sandara.”

Sang Hyun knocks lightly on the door, “Hyung? You have to leave… I’m afraid my parents will be home soon.”

Seung Hyun frowns, “Why do I feel that I’m not good enough for your parents? What’s wrong with me?”

Nothing’s wrong with you – you’re a human and we’re not. Sang Hyun walks across the room and stands next to Sandara’s bed. “My noona has always loved you and her love for you will carry on with her to the next world…I’m sorry hyung…”

“D, I’ll go now.” Seung Hyun gently lays her back on the bed. “I’m not saying ‘good bye’. My sleeping beauty, one day you’re heart will wake up.” He plants a sweet kiss on her soft lips.


*** END OF FLASHBACK ***


Knock. Knock. Knock.

Seung Hyun stirs around on his couch. He rubs his eyes and looks at the clock, “It’s freaking 3 in the morning! Who the heck is knocking?” He walks across his living room to the door. He’s too annoyed to even look at the peek hole that he immediately opened the door.

“Mir?”

Mir’s legs are sprawled on the floor. He smiles looking up at Seung Hyun, “Hey…is it okay if I crash here? I’m sorry but my legs gave up on me just now.”

“Kid! What’s wrong with you?! What the heck happened to you?” Seung Hyun grabs one of his arms and helps him stand up. Mir limply hangs onto him as they enter his apartment. He lays Mir on his couch and he pulls out his cellphone. “I’m calling Bom.”

“I beat you too it. I already called her and she’s on her way.” Mir coughs. He bends forward in pain. Seung Hyun sits next to him.

“Where did you go? Why do you look like that?” Seung Hyun places his hand lightly on Mir’s shoulder.

Bom barges through the door and nonchalantly takes a seat on the other side of the couch. Seung Hyun jumps up. “You scared the crap out of me Bom! How’d you do that?”

“Do what?” Bom smiles.

“Stop smiling like that! You’re creeping me out!” Seung Hyun paces back and forth. “Didn’t Mir just call you? The way you enter was way too fast for human speed…”

“You have good eyes. No humans would be able to catch that.” Bom crosses her legs and reaches her arm out to Mir. She holds his forearm.

“What?” Seung Hyun stops and his mouth drops. He’s standing in front of her. 

Bom looks up at him, “Shock? You’re not the only one who’s fast.” She stands up and blows a mystical dust to his face.

Seung Hyun blinks and he starts to feel sleepy. Mir quickly catches Seung Hyun and lays him on the couch, “It’s time.”