CHAPTER 3

ETERNITY

 

CHAPTER 3







March 12, 2010 – Tokyo, Japan 11:30a.m.

“Noona, you should eat.” Sang Hyun picks up a shrimp tempura with his chopsticks and holds it up a few inches in front of Sandara’s face. She turns her head away. “Come on, I know deep down inside that stubborn heart of yours that your ecstatic you’ll be going home soon.”

“You planned this all along…” She turns her head back. Her eyes are burning mad. Sang Hyun pulls his hand back and takes a bite of the tempura.

He smiles, “Nope. I guess it’s just fate.” Sang Hyun takes another piece of tempura off her plate. “Also you were too obvious of being heartbroken. I tried my best to distract and help you but you always pushed me away. So the only person to blame is you.”

“Hmph!” Sandara crosses her arms and stares out the window.

“You should really stop giving the innocent humans out there the evil eye. We are ANGELS you know. We’re supposed to be good. No evil remember?” Sang Hyun winks.

Sandara looks around then grabs her chopsticks and takes a piece of her tempura. She suddenly shoves a piece into Sang Hyun’s mouth. “You’re supposed to be on my side!”

He chews the piece teasingly and swallows, “I am on your side. I want to see my sister happy again. The last time you were happy was when we were still living in Korea with our family. And with Seung Hyun…” Sang Hyun gave her a sincere sympathetic smile.

Sandara fights back her tears from falling, “Sang Hyun, do you really believe that I’ll be happy again by going back to Korea? He’s dead and our parents are dead! There’s nothing to return to!”

“Noona, you’re not letting go. You’ve been bottling up the pain for so long. You have to let go and move on.” Sang Hyun takes a sip of his iced tea.

“I have moved on! Why do you think we’re living here in Japan? We have no family back in Korea. It’s just the two of us. Sending me back to Korea is like reopening a closed wound. Do you know how hard I’ve tried to forget about him?” A tear triumphantly escapes the corner of her eye.

“Not hard enough, noona. I know you’re afraid but you have to face the truth and let it all out once you’re back to the place where your heart was wounded.” Sang Hyun reaches his hand out and covers the top of her hand.

“Please come with me…” More tears start rolling off her cheeks.

“I wish I can but the Elders have other plans for me here. I’ll be joining you once I’ve completed my mission.” Sang Hyun squeezes her hand.

---------------------------------------





March 12, 2010 – Seoul, Korea 11:30a.m.

“Excuse me sir?”

“Yes?”

A young girl in pig tails hands a young well-toned man who’s dressed in casual wear – jeans and plain white shirt - a small plastic pink ring. He stares at the ring in his hand and looks at the girl, “What’s this for?”

“She’s coming home soon. You should give that to her. It’s her favorite color.” The little girl skips playfully away from the young man. He stands a few seconds dumbfounded of what just happened.

“Seung Hyun!” Another young man yells from across the street. He waves frantically for his attention. 

Seung Hyun shoves the ring in his pocket and runs across the street, “Sorry I’m late Mir. I over slept.”

“I’m used to it. If you haven’t noticed yet our meeting time is usually an hour early than the original time we should be meeting. It saves me the frustration if ever you’re late and that’s always.” Mir starts walking a few steps ahead of Seung Hyun as they walk the busy street.

“What are we doing today?” Seung Hyun walks behind Mir. He cautiously pulls out the ring from his pocket and stares at it while walking.

“We’re going to hang out with my cousin today.” Mir abruptly stops walking. Seung Hyun bumps into his back. He turns around and the pink ring catches his eyes. “I didn’t know you like girly things.” He laughs.

Seung Hyun shoves the ring back in his pocket and punches Mir on his shoulder, “It’s not mine! A little girl earlier gave it to me…she was odd.”

“Wow! You’re good looks even work on little girls too!” Mir burst into laughter. Bystanders’ passing by them gives him weird facial expressions. He covers his mouth and tries to stop his laughter.

“Shut it, Mir!” Seung Hyun smacks his other arm. “We’re hanging out with Bom today?” He cringes in fear.

Mir chuckles, “I thought you love hanging out with Bommie noona.”

“You love torturing me, Mir. Bom’s personality is out of this world.” Seung Hyun cringes again. “Hey, you’re supposed to call me ‘hyung’ since I’m a year older than you.”

“But I feel we’re both on the same maturity level. I did advance a grade when I was younger.” Mir playfully clings behind Seung Hyun and pouts.

“You still act like a child. See.” He gestures what he’s doing to him.

“I’m just a loving person.” Mir let’s go of him and looks at his watch. “Come on, Bommie noona must be waiting.” He starts walking ahead of him.

Seung Hyun let’s out a frustrated sigh as he follows Mir. I still don’t understand ‘what I am’. I know I’m not human like Mir and the rest of the people around us. I have these extraordinary powers and I haven’t aged in 100 years. Out of all the people I’ve met through out the years, Mir has the purest heart. I like him a lot. He’s a good friend. 

They reach a huge park. Bom beams a wide smile as she walks toward them. Seung Hyun steps back behind Mir. “Seung Hyun!” 

“Mir, please protect me from her power hug.” Seung Hyun whispers. Too bad I can’t fully use my strength on her. It's too conspicuous. I should tame myself and just count. It will all be over soon. Suddenly he feels her strength. 1….2….3….4…

“You look different today, Seung Hyun. Something happened to you before you met Mir huh?” Bom let’s go of a bewildered Seung Hyun. 

“What? Are you doing you’re psychic powers on me again?” Seung Hyun shrugs his shoulders.

Bom links her arms around his arm, “I’m no psychic. I’m just special, right Mir?” Mir nods his head. “Show me the ring!” She tugs his arm.

“You know that little girl?!” He pulls his arm away from Bom.

“Nope. I told you I’m special. I saw it in here.” She taps the side of her head.

“You’re psychic.” Seung Hyun rolls his eyes.

“I don’t like that name. I rather you call me ‘special’. So where’s the ring?” Bom patiently waits.

“I could imagine that little girl’s future. She’ll grow up to be like you.” Seung Hyun chuckles while the other two remains serious. “I was just kidding Ms. Special Bom.”

“I wanna see it Seung Hyun!” Bom tugs his arm again.

“You saw it in your head already. Why do you want me to show it to you?” Seung Hyun looks at Mir then back at Bom.

“I wanna see it for real. Please Seung Hyun! Do you really want me to dig in your pocket?” Bom playfully winks.

Seung Hyun immediately pulls the ring out of his pocket and hands it to Bom. “There!”

“OMO! It’s soooooooooo CUTE! She’ll definitely love it!” Bom holds it up in front of her as she closely examines the plastic pink ring.

“She’s so weird… I doubt I’ll ever understand how her mind really works.” Seung Hyun mumbles. The words she just said finally clicked in his head, “What? Who are you talking about?” He takes the ring back.

Bom clicks her tongue at him. She wraps her arms around Mir and they both start walking ahead of Seung Hyun, “Don’t worry about it. Let’s go get some ice cream!”

I shouldn’t think about what she said. Remember Seung Hyun – BOM equals INSANE. He puts the ring back in his pocket and follows them across the park. They do keep me sane with their unusual personalities. It distracts me from the past. I must move on.