CHAPTER 7

ETERNITY

 

CHAPTER 7







January 15, 1909

Seung Hyun paces back and forth in his family living room. He stops and stares at the grandfather clock. It’s 8:30. He continues to pace. A man barges through the front door – startling Seung Hyun. 

“Father?” He gasps.

Mr. Choi drops on his knees. Seung Hyun rushes to his side and lifts his father over his shoulder. He walks across the living room and enters his father’s room. He gently lays him down. Mr. Choi’s lips are dry and his voice is hoarse, “Son, I don’t have much time. Please listen to me…”

“Father, you look pale as a ghost. Are you ill?” Seung Hyun touches his forehead. Mr. Choi’s body starts to shake. 

“I’m so sorry, son…. I thought I would have enough time to teach you about our kind… I miscalculated….ahhh!” Mr. Choi grabs his right shoulder. He cringes and curls over to his side. 

Seung Hyun did not know what or how to handle his father’s situation. Shock kept him frozen in place. His father’s agonizing scream of pain woke him up. He immediately runs out of the room to grab the aid kit and returns back, “Did you injure your arm father? Let me help you!”

Mr. Choi brushes aside the kit and grabs his hand, “I want you to read my journal after I die. Your mother and I love you with all our heart. Always remember that Seung Hyun…”

Seung Hyun wipes his father’s cold sweat across his forehead, “Father? Please don’t say that…you’re not leaving me. Let me take you into town…you really do look ill…come on…” He tries to lift his father off the bed but Mr. Choi resists.

“I’m a Guardian, son…so are you…” Mr. Choi coughs.

“What? I don’t understand…please let me take you to a doctor…” Seung Hyun squeezes his hand. He could see that his father is badly injured at the same time very ill.

Mr. Choi leans over to the side and opens the bedside drawer. He pulls out a black leather book, “Take my journal…I poured my heart into this journal…I’m the one that’s supposed to tell and teach you about our kind but my time is up now…promise me you’ll stay true to yourself…do not allow darkness into your life…remember LOVE is stronger than anything else in this world…”

Seung Hyun takes the journal and stares at it, “Father. You’re not going anywhere.” He puts the book beside him. 

“Please stay away from vampires…” Mr. Choi shuts his eyes as he bites his tongue. 

“Vampires? They’re not real, father…you told me the people in town just says those kind of things to their children so they’ll stay away from the forest at night…what are you talking about?” Seung Hyun gently tugs his father’s hand.

Mr. Choi opens his eyes, “I fought a vampire earlier…I was afraid he would find out about you….I had to make sure he didn’t live to tell about our encounter…In the end I won but he too also won because he bit me before I snapped his head off…” He touches his right arm. Seung Hyun pulls his father’s sleeve up revealing a bite mark indented in his skin. It looks purple-greenish-red surrounding his bite mark. 

“I still don’t understand…Father please I must take you to a doctor! It’s infected!” 

Mr. Choi could see his son’s frustration. For him, seeing his son like that is much more painful than what he’s currently feeling. He does not want to leave his son especially now. “The venom is killing me…I can feel it all over my body…Seung Hyun…I love you son…forgive me for leaving you so soon…I failed my promise to your mother that I’ll protect you forever…please stay away from danger…” He reaches his hand out and lightly caresses Seung Hyun’s cheek. He inhales his last breath and closes his eyes.

Seung Hyun catches his father’s hand, “NOOO!!!!” He vigorously shakes his father to wake up. “Father!” He drops his head on Mr. Choi’s chest and allows his tears to soak on his beloved father’s body.

------------------------------------------------







January 16, 1909 8:00 a.m.


Seung Hyun watches the thick black smoke rise into the morning sky. After a few minutes passes he walks back into his house holding a white vase with his father’s ashes inside. He places the vase next to another white vase inside a glass cabinet. He shuts the cabinet and locks it. Seung Hyun takes a seat in the dining room table.

The only sound you can hear in the house is the grandfather clock ticking. Seung Hyun stares at the black leather book sitting in front of him. He lightly touches the cover of the book before opening it. A photo of his father and mother was glued on the first page. He wipes his tears that quickly escaped his eyes with the back of his hand. He turns the page.

“Our love is forbidden. I never knew I could fall in love with her kind. They say it’s impossible but Mina and I broke all boundaries after our first meeting. I guess the saying is true about love at first sight. It put all our differences aside. I also saw Mina had a pure heart that no other vampires had. She was different. She once told me that maybe she was born in the wrong kind. I would always laugh when she says that… 

February 1893 – Not only is our love forbidden but Mina has conceived. She’s pregnant with my child. We must run because we made the legend both our kinds has feared. The untouchable creature with the blood of a vampire and a guardian. The vampires will take advantage of this news and take our child away from us. Mina and I do not want our son to be raised evil. I could ask the elders for their help but with my kind heart I also want to protect them from any kind of war the vampires will make with the news of our child. It is best if we hide far from both our kinds.

November 4, 1893 – Mina has given birth to our beautiful child. She was able to hold him before she died. She told him that she loved him very much and that she’ll be watching over him. I promised Mina that I’ll protect him from her kind and raise him the guardian lifestyle. Those were her last wishes to me and I’ll keep my promise for her and for Seung Hyun...


Seung Hyun shuts the journal. “I can’t read this. My mother a vampire and my father a guardian? A vampire killed my father…” He turns around and stares at the cabinet that holds his parents ashes. Father, I don’t think I have enough strength to read any more of your entries. I’m sorry father but I think I have to find myself on my own…This revelation is too much for me to handle and your death… Seung Hyun stands up and walks over to the cabinet. He places both his hand on the glass.

------------------------------------------------







March 13, 2010 – Seoul, Korea 8:00 a.m.


“Mir, wake up!”

Seung Hyun shakes Mir. Mir looks stun lying on the floor. He immediately stands up, “Woah! I fell asleep?”

“Yeah, for like 30 minutes.” Seung Hyun laughs. He stands up and pats Mir’s head, “I didn’t know my past stories were that boring for you. I was about to tell you when I was part of a Korean war in the 1950s but you were snoring already with my intro.” He continues to laugh.

“I’m sorry, bro…I guess my adrenaline needs some refueling. I’m hungry!” Mir rubs his stomach. “Bommie noona is taking too long!”

The silver door opens revealing Bom. She struts toward the men, “Mission complete. The Elders bought my story. Now, Mir.” She pulls Mir’s collar toward her. “Take Seung Hyun back to his apartment. He needs to pack his clothes and bring it here. He’s got a crash course to take about being a Guardian.” She smiles sweetly at Seung Hyun, “Don’t forget to bring your father’s journal.” She winks.

Seung Hyun’s mouth drops. Bom let’s go of Mir’s collar and closes Seung Hyun’s mouth. Mir raises a curious brow, “Are you coming with us?”

“Nope, I need to be somewhere important.” She flicks her hair back. Bom starts walking ahead of them out of the door. The two men follow behind. They enter another silver door and it’s an elevator.

Mir taps Bom’s shoulder, “Can we grab something to eat before we head to his apartment?”

Bom nods, “Sure. Please be here in approximately 4 hours, okay?”

Mir salutes and clings to Bom’s back, “Take care noona and good luck on whatever it is you’re going to do later…”

Bom pats his head and the elevator door opens, “I’ll see you two later.” 

------------------------------------------------






10:15 a.m.


Bom taps her foot. Her neck stretches looking for a particular person. Dozens of people pass by her but not one of them is the person she wants. Suddenly she spots the one she’s been waiting for two hours. She immediately waves a white cardboard sign with the person’s name – PARK SANDARA.

Sandara sees the sign and smiles warmly. Bom offers her hand out, “My name is Park Bom. I’ll be taking care of you until you know…” She winks and Sandara laughs. She knows Bom has been informed about her order.

“So what’s the agenda for today?” Sandara zips up her black hooded jacket.

Bom takes her luggage and starts walking, “You and your agenda.” She giggles. “They said you shouldn’t worry about those things while you’re here. But if you want to be formal about it then the agenda for today is REST.”

Sandara tugs the straps of her backpack, “I’ve never been on a vacation if you consider this one to be. It’s strange not doing what I do every day. I don’t think I’ll be able to stay in one place very long. Please restrain me from doing anything forbidden?”

Bom turns her head, “Of course I’ll help you. I’m sorry but I’ll be taking you to a hotel. The guest room at my home is currently occupied. I do have another guest room but it hasn’t been used in a long time. I need sometime to fix it up for you. I apologize if I sound unaccommodating. I just received a call from the Japanese Elders about two hours ago that you will be arriving. I haven’t had time to prepare. I’m sorry.” She bows her head.

Sandara waves her hands, “No, it’s alright! Please don’t apologize. You weren’t expecting me at all, so I totally understand! Bom it’s okay really!” She smiles.

Outside the airport, Bom’s driver helps assist putting Sandara’s luggage into the trunk. Bom ushers Sandara into the back seat of her car. They head off to the hotel. Sandara looks out the window. She smiles as they pass by beautiful tall buildings.

“Looks different huh?”

Sandara turns her head and nods, “Very…” She clasps her hands together, “So Bom, do you have any siblings?”

“Nope. I’m the only child. But I do have a cousin that I consider like my little brother.” Bom pulls out her cellphone and shows Sandara a picture of Mir.

“Awww. He’s so cute. He has cute puppy eyes! I can’t wait to meet him.” Sandara returns her cellphone.

Bom puts away her phone, “He’s kinda busy right now but don’t worry I’ll introduce you to him. Right now your focus is on relaxing. I’ll drop you off at the hotel and I’ll be back in a couple hours. I have somewhere to be. Remember there are other guardians quietly watching you. I know it not knowing who they are unless you’ve been formally informed. Like me you know I’m one and my driver too. Anyways, I suggest you sleep because your eyes are screaming SLEEP.” She squeezes Sandara’s hand.

Sandara laughs, “Why do we have to look so human? It that I’m being watched. But I must behave…thank you again for your time and I apologize that you have to baby sit me.”

“You don’t need baby sitting. You’re a big girl! Give me your phone. I’m going to put my number in it so if you’re having any problem and I’m not around. I’m just one call away okay? Don’t hesitate to call!” Bom rapidly inputs her number on Sandara’s phone.

------------------------------------------------


11:45 a.m.

Mir’s head lolls on the couch arm. His drool stain is visible. Seung Hyun laughs, “I thought after we ate he replenished his energy. But looks to me it wasn’t enough. Bom should be here soon? It’s almost 4 hours since we last parted. I wonder where she went.” He pulls out a black leathered book from his bag. He stares at it for a moment then returns it back into the bag.