CHAPTER 6

ETERNITY

 

CHAPTER 6






March 13, 2010 – Seoul, Korea 7:00 a.m.


“Bommie noona? Is it really necessary for you to chain him up?” Mir crosses his arms and leans back on the wall. They’re in Bom’s sound proof basement. 

Bom smirks, “Yes, it’s necessary!” 

“How so? We’ve never done this to any of the previous lost angels we’ve encountered. Why now? Are you just trying to add some spice into this revelation?” Mir raises a brow.

“I have my reasons. I wish you could see what I have seen. His past is very interesting…” Bom locks the chain together behind his back.

Mir steps closer to her, “What did you see?”

“I myself have a hard time understanding…I’ve only seen bit and pieces of his childhood past. But what was clear on my vision was his first love. His aura was full of lively colors during that time. Now, it seems to be just grayish blue. Sad lost angel.” Bom pats Seung Hyun’s head. He is still unconscious from the sleeping dust she blew at him.

Mir laughs, “Noona, you’re using your special powers to play cupid? Unbelievable! I still don’t understand why you chained him up. Have you foreseen he won’t take the revelation easily?”

Bom pouts, “I’m not taking advantage of my special powers. I’m using it for good. While the rest of the guardians guide humans to do good deeds in this world, I, Bom, guide lost angels.” She turns and taps Mir’s nose.

“Yes, you do, but not with their love life.” Mir clicks his tongue at her before returning back to the wall he was leaning on earlier.

“Oh be quiet!” Bom marches over to him and softly whispers, “Seung Hyun is special. He’s different from the others.” Mir tilts his head at her. She throws an unexpected punch to his cheek. His right hand immediately soothes his hurt cheek. Bom then twist his right arm back and snaps it. Mir bites his tongue to suppress himself from screaming. He falls to the ground and heavily pants on the cold white tile floor.

“MIR!!!!” Seung Hyun yells from where he’s seated in the middle of the basement. He frantically struggles to break free from the chain wrapped tightly around him. Shock adrenaline shoots all over his body after waking up to see Bom breaking her cousin’s bone.

Mir looks up. Small beads of sweat forms on his forehead. He watches Bom glide across the room to Seung Hyun. Noona is being so theatrical right now…Argh! Did she really have to break my arm? He winces and cringes.

Seung Hyun’s eyes are burning mad at Bom, “You’ve completely gone INSANE! Mir is your cousin for goodness sake! What the heck is wrong with you?!? Unchain me!”

“Yes, he is my cousin…” Bom flicks her hair back. “Break yourself free. I know you’re capable…” She walks back to Mir.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about! Bom, could you PLEASE STOP THIS GAME!!!” Seung Hyun tries again to get his hands free from the chain. 

Bom lifts Mir’s other arm and snaps it too. This time he could not suppress the pain. His piercing scream echoes the four corners of the basement. “Do you want me to keep going? If you don’t break yourself free, I’ll keep breaking each and every bone of his body.”

“BOM! Stop it!” Seung Hyun’s nose flares. I don’t think I can control my strength any longer…She’s hurting the only living person closest to me…

“Hmmm…I don’t think he needs this leg.” Bom lifts his right leg up.

Seung Hyun breaks the chain apart. He pounces on top of Bom. Bom kicks him off her. Mir watches the two begin their fight. If a human was to watch them it would be a blur and they would not be able to make out where they are fighting. Their movements and speed is hard for human eyes to decipher. Bom yet again kicks Seung Hyun off her after he tries pinning her to the ground. He flies up and hits the ceiling. She quickly jumps behind him and throws him across the room. He hits the wall leaving a dented shape of his body. Seung Hyun bounces back on his feet like nothing happened. Bewildered by Bom’s quick moves he let’s go of his fears. His protective instinct kicks in.

The huge basement his filled with huge white pillars. Bom hides behind one of them. Seung Hyun intensifies his senses. He hears a small crack to his left. He quietly jumps up a pillar. He hangs upside down like a spider. Slowly he inches himself down toward Bom. Bom looks up and smirks, “Nice try Spiderman!” She grabs his arm, swings him again across the room. He lands beside Mir.

Bom appears in front of the two, “I’m impressed…I just have one more thing to do. It will conclude and prove you’re one of us.”

Seung Hyun pants, “You’re a mad woman!”

She pulls out a shiny silver dagger from behind and throws it at an insane speed straight into Seung Hyun’s chest. Mir’s eyes widen, “Noona! You’ve gone too far!”

Crimson blood gushes out of Seung Hyun’s mouth. He continues to cough out more blood. Mir pulls the dagger away and a river of blood streams out. He shakes his head in disappointment, “His blood….it’s not navy blue…” He wipes the blood off his hand. Mir looks up at Bom, “He’s not…” He looks back at Seung Hyun apologetically. Seung Hyun is taking small short breaths. One of his lungs has collapsed after she punctured his chest. He feels the life slowly draining out of him. 

Bom stands frozen. I’m never wrong…I can’t be… Suddenly her eyes glaze gray. Her hands twitch. After a full minute passes her eye color returns. She quickly puts pressure on Seung Hyun’s wound with both her hands. “I’m sorry Seung Hyun! I just needed to know if you’re like us.”

Mir grabs her wrist, “What you did was far too much for any person to handle! He’s dying noona! We were wrong…his blood isn’t the same as ours…”

Bom shakes her head, “His blood is lying…you saw how strong and quick he was fighting me. He moves like us!”

“Noona, he’s bleeding to death like a human being! Look at him! This was a mistake…I’m going to loose my best friend….” Mir squeezes Seung Hyun’s hand. He ignores the stifling pain on his broken arm.

“Just wait a couple more minutes…his body will start healing itself…he’s the ONE.” Bom continues to put pressure on the wound.

Mir’s right arm feels better. He pushes Bom aside then lifts her to stand up, leaving Seung Hyun on the floor. “Noona, you were wrong! Admit it!”

“I’M NOT! He’ll heal soon like you, he’ll heal! Please let go of my hand.” Bom pulls her hand back but Mir still doesn’t let go.

“NO!” He tightens his grip. Mir suddenly hears a faint cough closely right behind his ear. He turns around, “Seung Hyun?”

Seung Hyun has an unreadable expression on his face, “What am I?”

“How did he…? Noona?” Mir drops Bom’s hand from his grip. He was laying behind Bom…I was too distracted?

Bom rips Seung Hyun’s shirt off in one swift movement. She drops his shirt on the ground. Mir’s mouth drops open. Seung Hyun’s smooth skin shows no evidence that a dagger was thrown at him.

“He healed in less than a minute! He healed faster than me! Woah!” Mir grabs his hair in frustration. He paces back and forth, “Noona, his blood color is different from ours…I don’t understand…why?”

Seung Hyun frowns. He stops Mir midway, “What are you guys?”

Mir smiles his puppy eyes at him, “We’re Guardians.”

Seung Hyun hears his father’s voice. ”I’m a Guardian, son…so are you…” He releases his grip on Mir, “I never knew there were others like me. It’s so hard trying to find someone like me. I didn’t want to sound insane if I asked people if they were Guardians…” He slumps down against the wall, “I don’t understand why I’m like this…”

Mir sits beside him, “It’s a good thing you didn’t do that. No one has ever taught you how to defend yourself from a vampire…If you asked a vampire that question you’d be dead in one quick bite.”

“My father said a vampire bit him…he died…I didn’t know they were real….I didn’t believe his words until I noticed the changes in me after a year of his death…” Seung Hyun covers his face.

“You are a lost angel…don’t worry we’ll help you understand our kind and we’ll teach you how to fight.” Mir pats his shoulder. “First we must get you a shirt. My noona, here, seems to be enjoying this side of you.” He playfully winks at Bom who’s still standing in front of the.

Seung Hyun looks down at his chest, “You said my blood is different from yours. Are you sure I’m a Guardian?”

Mir looks up at Bom and stares at her eyes, “Hyung, you said your father was a Guardian, so you are indeed one of us. Noona, what’s wrong with his blood?”

Bom smiles, “He’s the ONE.”

“Huh?” Mir and Seung Hyun said in unison. They both stand up.

“What are you talking about noona?” Mir shrugs his shoulders when Seung Hyun shoots him a questioningly look.

Bom smacks the side of Mir’s head, “Have you forgotten what all the Elders feared the most if ever the ONE child is in our enemies hands?”

Ting! It clicks in Mir’s head, “Oh!” He looks at Seung Hyun and smiles.

“Why are you two smiling like that?” Seung Hyun steps back.

“I didn’t see this coming….Darn powers of mine! It only shows me things when it feels like it…” Bom lightly hits her forehead.

Mir looks at Bom, “So you only found out after you threw the dagger at him?”

Bom nods solely, “I was too focused on something else.” She giggles. 

“Aish, NOONA!” Mir gently shakes her shoulders as she continues to laugh.

“What are you two talking about? Why did you say I was the ONE?” Seung Hyun looks back and forth between the two.

“You’re parents must have truly loved each other to conceive you. Long ago, vampires believed that if they mated with a guardian – they will conceive a powerful child. Vampires only want power. They use to kidnap guardians to test out their theory. But they failed miserably. We have increased and alerted our security measures since that time. The vampires don’t know the cause of their failure but our Elders knew. Again, it was also a theory on our side but they believe TRUE LOVE was the missing element. Our kinds would never get along with their kind. Our beliefs, morals, views and personalities are like the positive and negative sides of a magnet.” Bom steps closer to Seung Hyun.

Mir continues, “Our Elders did not brush aside the possibility of their theory. If a child is conceived, it would be indestructible to both our kinds. They feared that if the child was under their care it would be the end of our kind and the humans as well.” Mir looks at his left arm. He flexes and smiles.

Bom examines Seung Hyun from head to toe, “November 4, 1893. Our Elders saw the red horizon as a warning sign….the child has been born.” Seung Hyun swallows hard. “This news until today remains confidential only within our kind. The vampires were oblivious with the sign as they continued on with their greed.” Her eyes glaze gray. Seung Hyun’s worried eyes looks at Mir.

“Her favorite show is on.” Mir taps his head and laughs. Soon he notices Bom’s whole body twitching. Her hand usually twitches but not her whole body. Something is wrong. He immediately hugs her, “Noona?” She collapses in his arms.

“Is she okay? Should we take her to the hospital? It looks like she had a seizure…” Seung Hyun kneels beside Mir.

Bom slowly opens her eyes, “Mir, we must not report this to the Elders…”

“Noona?! I’ll borrow hyung’s line earlier. YOU’RE INSANE! We can’t lie to them. You know that it’s a big NO, NO!” Mir gently shakes her.

Bom brush Mir’s hands aside and sits up, “I saw a guardian leak the information to a vampire after getting caught. We must not go down that path…It’s not very pretty…We’ll report our mistake and misjudgment with him. We’ll tell them we erased his memory of the revelation encounter.” She stands up and the young men follow her toward the silver metal door.

“Are you serious noona? It must be really that bad for you to lie to our Elders…this is the first…” Mir looks back at Seung Hyun, “Won’t they wonder why we’re still hanging out with him after failing our mission? They will question us…”

“No they won’t.” Bom cuts him off. “Seung Hyun is like a chameleon. No guardian or vampire would ever suspect he’s a guardian when they cut him. His red blood is a deceiving defense mechanism that can fool his enemies. His blood looks and smells exactly like human blood.” She stops in front of the silver door and faces the two men. “I’ll send them the tape without audio of me throwing the dagger at him. They’ll see the blood. I’ll tell them I healed him with my potion and afterwards erased his memory. We are KIND guardians. We cherish all our friendship with humans. So they won’t suspect why we’re still hanging out with him.” Bom places her hand on a hand frame against the wall near the door. It scans her hand and the silver door opens, “Stay here, while I fix up my report. They know about today so I must send them my report immediately or they will suspect if we prolong this conversation. I will be back.” The silver door closes on them.

Mir walks over to the corner of the basement. He pulls open one of the drawers of a black metal dresser. He reveals a drawer filled with fresh clean white t shirts. He tosses one over to Seung Hyun across the room. He puts it on, “You have clothes stored down here?”

“I’ve learned Noona can be a bit feisty when she fights. I’m nice to keep that drawer here for the men she tears apart.” He chuckles, “She doesn’t usually chain up the lost angels. You’re the only one hyung.” He opens a cabinet to his left revealing a small fridge behind it. Seung Hyun appears beside Mir. “I’m glad you’re not shy anymore on using your powers in front of us.”

“I’m happy that I’m not alone anymore.” Seung Hyun grabs a soda can from the fridge. “Does Bom always tell you what she sees?” He takes a sip.

Mir shakes his head, “Nope, it’s for her eyes only. She never tells me what she sees. The Elders always seek for her advice. They believe whatever she tells them because they always come true. She’s like the seer of our kind.” He grabs a soda too and closes the cabinet.

“You said vampires seek power. Isn’t it dangerous for Bom to be alone without protection from our kind? The vampires might kidnap her and use her power as an advantage for them.” Seung Hyun puts the soda on top of the drawer.

“They’ve tried so many times in the past. But my noona saw all their plans. They eventually gave up after numerous attempts to kidnap my noona. They moved on again scheming another way to gain more power. I truly believe vampires have ADHD!” Mir laughs out loud, “They’re focus is unstable and they keep changing their minds.”

“Like from conceiving the ONE child to kidnapping a Guardian seer.” Seung Hyun chuckles.

Mir seriously stares at his soda can, “They’re still waiting for you to come. It’s a good thing you’re grown up now. You’re not easy to persuade unlike if you were a child. Plus I know you have a heart. I doubt you’ll join their side and spread evil all over this world. Will you?” He looks at Seung Hyun.

Seung Hyun presses his lips together before speaking, “Never.”

------------------------------------------------



March 13, 2010 – Tokyo, Japan 7:00 a.m.


Sandara stares at the runaway blur as the airplane goes on full speed taking off. She lets out a sigh, "What's waiting for me in Korea?"