CHAPTER 13

ETERNITY

 

CHAPTER 13









Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.


Sandara groans as she pulls a pillow over her head.


Drip.

Drip.

Drip.


She tightens her grip on the pillow.


Drip.

Drip.


A loud crash and shattering noise echoes the room. Sandara startled from the noise immediately sits up. “Oops?” She looks at the shattered flower vase on the floor and sees her pillow drenched wet next to it. She stands up and walks over to the scattered mess across the room. I’m really not a morning person. My arm has a mind of its own. Kekeke. She picks up the pillow and enters the bathroom located within the room.

“You!” Sandara drops the pillow. She scrunches up her nose and glares at the innocent faucet sink like it committed a sinful crime. 


Drip.


Sandara angrily turns the faucet knob and smiles triumphantly, “Peace and quiet.” It dawns on her that her surrounding is different. Wait? This isn’t my bathroom nor… She dashes out of the bathroom and stares at the bed she was on. “That’s not my bed!” 

The sunlight beautifully glows behind the white sheer curtain on the window. Sandara ignores the beauty of the sun’s ray radiating into her room. She is confused and anxious to know where she is at. She pulls the curtain aside and tries to open the window. It’s lock. She uses all her strength to break it open but it won’t budge. Unbelievable! Who did this to me? And why am I locked in here? She furiously pounds on the glass window. It does not shatter or break. She leaves indentation and cracks on the window. Hmph shatter proof glass! I bet its even bullet proof too. She stubbornly sits back on the bed and crosses her arms.

“How long was I sleep?” Sandara pauses and thinks. No they didn’t! She stands up and starts throwing things her hand lands on. She’s letting her frustration out at the same time making a mess. After a good five minutes she tiredly sighs and slumps herself against the door frame. She lightly hits her head back and looks up at the door knob, “I hope it’s open but I know it’s not that easy.”

Just like what she expected it was lock when she turned the knob. She pouts and takes a deep breath. Sandara briefly closes her eyes, “I know they put me to sleep to keep me safe. But that’s just ridiculous because they know I can be a big help with my skills and knowledge against the vampires. They're really going to get it from me when I find them!” She opens her eyes and turns around. She avoids stepping on the mess she made and picks up her backpack. She searches for her cellphone, “Aigoo! Bom took my phone away from me!” She pulls out a shirt and sweatpants. She quickly changes from her pajamas into her casual outfit.

“Aha! This will help me return back home.” She turns on a mini GPS gadget. Good thing Bom doesn’t know what this mini pencil case can do. Hahaha it’s my secret camouflage gadget. Sandara frowns at the screen, “What the heck?! Why am I so far out? It’ll take me a couple hours if I go by vehicle…hmm I’ll just go by foot and run back I’m way faster than a car.” She smiles and turns off the gadget. She looks back at the clock on the bed stand – it reads 8:00. I wonder what day it is. This gadget kind of because it doesn’t show what day it is only the time.

“Hmm.” Sandara taps her chin then looks back at the bed. “Hmmm….” She puts on her backpack and takes a step back. She tosses the mattress off the bed and easily lifts the wooden bed frame with one hand. With force she throws it at the door. The door knob falls off. She grins as she pulls the broken bed frame away from the door. “Piece of cake!” She pretends to dust off debris from her shoulder as she makes a smooth exit.

------------------------------------------------










9:30 a.m.



Gosh, the direction where I came from is actually the opposite way! I’ll have to pass Seung Hyun’s home before I get to mine. I wonder why they left me alone back there…and what are they hiding from me that they don’t want me around? Sandara pace slows down as she gets closer to her destination. Now she’s just casually walking through the forest. She was too engrossed looking at her GPS gadget she did not notice the deep hole a few feet away from her. She falls into it.

“Aaaahh!”





Seung Ho hears a soft cry coming from the north east. He turns his head toward that direction, “Did you guys hear that?”

Joon and G.O. look at each other then shrugged their shoulders at Seung Ho.

“Let’s go this way.” Seung Ho runs ahead of them.

“Wait, aren’t we supposed to head east?” G.O. catches up to Seung Ho.

Joon trails behind them, “Yeah, you told us earlier that we should keep heading east to find the ONE. Why are we heading north east? What did you hear anyways?”

Seung Ho remains silent until they find a huge ditch created from the meteor landing. The meteor is about several meters away which catches the other two boys’ attention. Seung Ho’s focus does not waver as he looks down at the fragile small girl silently whimpering. He jumps down and joins the girl in the ditch. Her frighten eyes bulge at his presence. She pushes her back against the dirt wall.

“Sandara?” Seung Ho reaches his hand out.

She doesn’t take his hand instead she clutches onto her injured right ankle and yelps in agonizing pain. A tear escapes her eye. Seung Ho notices her swollen ankle and takes a step closer to her, “You’re hurt. Let me take a look.” 

Sandara cautiously watches Seung Ho as he carefully takes her ankle into his hands. He sees a small bone kind of poking out against her skin. It looks like she broke her ankle at least it didn’t break through her skin but it still looks painful. He looks back at her face. She’s biting her lips trying to suppress her scream. Tough girl.

“Whoa?! How’d she get down there?” Joon tilts his head looking at the two in the ditch.

“Maybe she got lost.” G.O. jumps in and joins Seung Ho. “Need help in bringing her up?”


Sandara brushes G.O.’s hand aside, “I’m fine.” Of all people, wait they’re not human but still why do they have to be here? This isn’t good! I’m in deep trouble to be left alone with these vampires. Sandara keep your Guardian cover on a down low! But OMO my ankle will heal in a few minutes I need to get away from them ASAP before they find out! She slowly tries to stand up with one feet and limps herself against the dirt wall. Seung Ho rushes to her side and aids her to stand up properly. Aigoo, this suspicious so called nice vampire…

“Sandara? Did you forget about me? We met a few days ago…it’s me Seung Ho..” He gives her a warm smile.

Sandara internally rolls her eyes in her mind. Aish, just play along until you get out of this ditch. I better RUN! She forces a smile, “Sorry. I still remember you…it’s just my ankle…it hurts a lot…I can’t really think straight…”

G.O. climbs out of the ditch and reaches his arm out, “Seung Ho lift her up and I’ll pull her out.”

Seung Ho swiftly lifts Sandara into his arms and gently pushes her up towards G.O. Joon aids G.O. in lifting her out and then placing her on the soft grass. Seung Ho jumps out of the ditch and is by Sandara’s side, “You broke your ankle. We’ll take you to the nearest hospital. I’ll wrap your ankle and keep it immobilize from further injury.” 

It’s now or never. Sandara shakes her head. She covers her ankle with her hand. I don’t want them to see the bone go back into place. This is so hard…inhale exhale…I can out run these vampires….I’m stronger than them… “Thank you for the concern but I have to go now.”

Seung Ho places his hand over Sandara’s hand, “Go where? I don’t think you can go anywhere with that injured ankle of yours.”

G.O. and Joon stands behind Sandara with their arms crossed. G.O. has a suspicious expression on his face, “Why are you alone?”

Sandara heart starts to pound. Think positive. You can take them.

Joon takes her silence as a ‘yes’ to G.O.’s question, “That’s odd for a pretty girl like you to be alone in this forest.”

Seung Ho does not let go of her hand, “What’s wrong Sandara?”

Sandara pulls her hand back and kicks Seung Ho in the chest. He flies back and hits the tree trunk. Joon and G.O.’s vicious fighting instinct kicks in. Low snarls come from their mouth as they surround Sandara. Their fangs are now visible as they growl at her. They’re both waiting for an opportunity to take a snap at her. Their circle is getting smaller and they’re getting closer to her. Sandara remains calm and alert as they inch closer. Suddenly Seung Hyun’s image flashes in her mind distracting her for a second. Joon takes it as an advantage. He immediately tackles her to the ground and pins her arms behind her. His fangs are only an inch away from her neck.

Joon’s grip on her is very strong and sturdy. She struggles to break free. G.O. wraps his arms around her legs pinning them together. The two men look like a human metal cage holding onto a ferocious angry beast. Seung Ho stares hard into Sandara’s eyes as he walks toward them, “What do we have here? You deceived us with your looks. All along I thought you were a mere innocent human. But seems to me you’re much more than what meets the eye.”

G.O. looks up at Seung Ho, “You okay? I believe she’s a Guardian. Lucky us, we finally caught one even if it’s not part of our mission.” He tightens his grip on Sandara’s legs.

Seung Ho chuckles, “Hmm, I thought the ONE would be a guy. I guess I was wrong." He gently caresses her cheek with the back of his hand then smirks.

Dumb. Dumb. How could they think I’m the…wait….it’s best if they think I’m the ONE than them finding Seung Hyun. Sandara glares at Seung Ho, “Can you tell your friend here to move his fangs away from my neck?”

Seung Ho shakes his head, “Nope. You’re one feisty Guardian. I’m afraid if we let you loose you’ll just snap our heads off. What distracted you? This is the first for us to capture a Guardian this easily. You were thinking of someone weren’t you?” His face is only inches away from hers. “Sandara, you’ve got a secret we want to know. Please do tell us. We want to hear it.”

“No.” She says coldly.

“So cold… I think we need to warm her up.” Seung Ho takes a step back and evilly grins.

------------------------------------------------








9:40 a.m.


“How sure are you that she wasn’t kidnapped?” Mir yells behind Sang Hyun.


Sang Hyun is only two feet in front of Mir. They’re running through the thick forest. Seung Hyun and Bom are side by side several feet ahead of them. Mir is last trailing behind them. Sang Hyun briefly turns his head around, “No one broke into our place. My noona is just not the morning type of person. She throws tantrums if it’s too early for her to wake up. Plus I’ve seen the mess she usually makes when I wake her up and that’s what I saw earlier. Anyways, I believe she thinks we left her alone that’s why she’s heading back to our old home thinking we’re all there.”


“NOW I GET IT!” Mir slaps his forehead and still keeps up with the gang. “So isn’t it bad that she’s heading towards an army of vampires when noona herself said they’ll be around this area in like 20 minutes?


MIR!!!!” Bom, Seung Hyun and Sang Hyun angrily yells back.


Bom slows her pace a bit and Mir catches up to her, “Please keep your mouth shut from now on until we find Sandara. And please try to keep up and no more talking okies? Everyone is anxious to find her with the little time we have…” He nods apologetically and she pats his head, “Good, now let’s go!”


Seung Hyun slows down and Bom catches up to him, “You feel that Bom?” He learned how to sense other people’s presence.

“Yeah, I do.” Bom turns her head back and sees Sang Hyun and Mir getting closer to them. They’re still running.

Seung Hyun places his hand over his heart, “I feel her. She’s close by…but she’s with strangers…there are 3?”

“Yes 3.” Sang Hyun nods his head at Seung Hyun.

Bom halts and the three men breeze by her. They realize she has stopped running and they run back to her. Her eyes briefly glaze gray, “Vampires.”

Seung Hyun’s eyes grow dark and he runs again. The rest of the group breaks into a run after him. Bom tries to catch up to him, “Seung Hyun, run towards the river! They’re only a few minutes ahead of us. She’s looking pale! Hurry!”

All four of them press themselves harder in running inhumanly faster. They all disappear into a blur.

------------------------------------------------





“I didn’t say you could bite her!” Seung Ho roars back at Joon who shyly hides behind G.O. He gently lays Sandara by the river shore. He scoops a handful of water and caresses the cool water against her pale cold cheek. 

Joon’s lips quivers as he spoke, “I thought you meant by warm is by letting our venom into her system. Plus she jolted her head back and it freaked me out that’s why I bit her. I’m sorry hyung.” He innocently peeks his head around.

Seungo Ho’s eyes turn fully black and he growls back at Joon revealing his fangs. He looks back at Sandara, “She has to live…I hope our venom doesn’t kill her…I want to know the truth…”

G.O. stiffens and turns his head back, “Seung Ho! Guardians are approaching! We must leave!” 

Seung Ho pulls out a black pouch from his back pocket and reveals a red vial. He takes a sip of the vial then tosses it to G.O. he takes a sip and passes it to Joon who drinks it last. The two men leap across the river and runs into the forest. Seung Ho caresses Sandara’s cheek one last time before jumping across the river.



A minute passes by when Seung Hyun first arrives.



DARA!!!


He pulls her off the river shore and hugs her tightly into his arms. Sandara screeches a piercing scream. Her whole body thrashes and convulses in Seung Hyun’s arms. He makes an effort to keep her still as he continues to hold on to her for dear life. He notices a purple reddish swelling on the right side of her neck. He remembers his father’s bite mark. A tear escapes the corner of his eyes when Sandara screams again.

“Noona!” Sang Hyun appears instantly in front of Seung Hyun and Sandara. He kneels down and brushes Sandara’s hair aside to reveal her infected bite mark. He balls his fists and darkness appears in his eyes when he looks across the river. “They disappeared over there…I can’t sense them anymore…cowards to runoff that quickly…”

Mir appears behind Sang Hyun and pats his shoulder, “We out number them…3 against 4…” He looks back at Bom who looks worried standing a foot away from them, “Noona? Are we too late?”

Bom bites her lower lips and briefly closes her eyes, “No.” She walks over to Seung Hyun, “Listen, they’re getting closer. Please hold onto to her and don’t let go once we start running. Don’t worry about us okay? We’ll meet back at our hideout no later than night fall. You hear me?”

Seung Hyun could not comprehend what Bom is planning. His heart is aching and he just robotically agrees. Bom turns around to face the other two young men, “We’ll be running into a few vampires on our way out of here. Basically we’re like in the eye of the storm right now and there’s no other way out of this. I’ll lead and Seung Hyun please keep close to me as much as possible. Everything will be very fast and we must not waste even a millisecond. Sang Hyun and Mir will be your shield. Mir you’ll stay on his right side and Sang Hyun on his left.”


“My noona…the venom is spreading…she’s going to die now…” Sang Hyun grabs Sandara’s hand and firmly holds her wrist not to thrash around. He could feel her tensing and struggling with pain. His tears build up in his eyes. Sandara’s eyes are shut tight as she fights an internal battle with the venom.

Bom shakes her head once more, “A vampire didn’t bite her. She would be dead by now. Minutes have passed and she’s still breathing. A Dark Angel bit her. The venom continues to linger in her system. We still have some time to at least try to save her…”

Seung Hyun lifts Sandara off the ground and cradles her into his arms. Her soaked clothes makes her shiver against Seung Hyun’s chest. She has become restless from thrashing around earlier. He could feel her shallow breath against his neck. She clutches onto his white collar shirt. He takes a step closer to Bom, “She’s still in pain.”

“Yes. What you witnessed earlier was just the beginning of the venom’s torture. Jolting pain. Next will be paralyzing which I believe she’s heading to right now. She’s calming down already. But the painful venom will hit again – unable to move and let out the extreme pain is mind torturing. You become helpless and trapped in your own body….We need to return back to our hide out immediately.” Bom looks at her watch.

Seung Hyun worriedly looks down at Sandara, “When will the venom leave her system?”

“I’m sorry but I don’t know the answer to that. From what I know no Guardians has ever survived from being bitten by a Dark Angel. Vampires’ venom is instant death while Dark Angels’ is a slow and very painful death. But we’ll figure something out. Sandara is a strong girl. Don’t let go okay?” Bom pats Sandara’s hand that’s clutching on Seung Hyun’s collar. She looks back and nods at the two boys, “LET’S GO! NO DISTRACTION! FOCUS ON PROTECTING AND GETTING OUT OF HERE!”

Bom runs ahead of the group and Seung Hyun tightens his grip on Sandara’s body. He whispers into her ear, “I’ll keep you safe. Never let go.” He breaks into a run and trails a good two feet behind Bom. Sang Hyun and Mir become Seung Hyun’ wing men keeping a few feet distance from both his sides.



Their group breezes by several vampires dressed in black camouflage attires. They instantly notice their presence and chase after them. The vampires’ catches up to them and a few of them formed a circle around them. They look like dogs trying to herd a bunch of cows into the barn. Bom remains in her position although being blocked by a vampire who’s running backwards facing her. She reaches her arm out and throws him aside. He smashes against a tree trunk. Another vampire appears in front of her she does the same thing again. Why can’t they just GO AWAY!

Seung Hyun holds onto Sandara like a toy doll that he doesn’t want taken away from him. The vampires surrounding them looks determine in ripping their heads off. They remain intact with their position as they continue their run. Sang Hyun and Mir are doing well in throwing off every vampire that advances near them. Seung Hyun feels proud of the younger boys - seeing how strong and tough they are despite the fact there are so many vampires constantly surrounding them. 

Two vampires advanced on Mir – tackling him to the ground. Sang Hyun pulls back and runs to save him leaving Seung Hyun vulnerable. He too turns around but was suddenly thrown against a tree. His arms were still wrapped around Sandara’s weak body. He grunts in pain when he stands up. She must be paralyzing now. Her body is like rubber just freely dangling. He firmly cradles her with one arm and throws a punch at the vampire that was about to pounce on him. The scene looks like an action film happening in a fast pace motion. The lead star surrounded by goons ganging up on him. His brave stature illuminates his aura as he strongly fights with each and every vampire that advances on him. Some of the vampires who took a shot at him were quite amaze how he could fight with just one arm and still hold the girl firmly with her barely falling or bouncing around in his arm. He took all his opponents down and saw an open opportunity to run towards the young boys.

“Sang Hyun!” He calls out.


Sang Hyun snaps a vampires head and throws the lifeless body aside. Mir also joins his side. They return to their position and start running toward the direction to their destination. Mir searches for Bom, “Where is she?”

His question instantly answered when they see her surrounded by more than twenty vampires. They were swarming all over her trying to pin her down but she would not give in. Mir and Sang Hyun ran ahead of Seung Hyun to help aid Bom. You could hear a lot of head snapping from this point on. Seung Hyun soon joins them. He was able to get close to Bom.

While Bom continues to fight she yells at Seung Hyun, “Remember what I said earlier. Night fall! We’ll finish this here… We’re trained for this kind of situation….take her away from this…GO!!!” She grabs the vampire that Seung Hyun was holding and she rip his head off. “GO NOW!”

Seung Hyun nods his head and looks back at Sang Hyun. He mouths the words ‘Please-take-care-of-her’ and smiles. Seung Hyun smiles too and nods his head. He runs away from the chaos leaving the group behind. He feels guilty but they’re all thinking of Sandara’s safety. He wishes they’ll finish them right away and join him soon to help her.


Seung Hyun now is miles and miles away from the fight. He breaks out of the forest and ends up in front of a road. He looks left and right. No cars. He loosens his grip on Sandara. Her face is so pale. He gently caresses her cheek, “Hang in there… I’ll find a cure.” He kisses her cheeks. I want to take away the pain you are silently feeling right now. 

He hears a car approaching from his left side. Seung Hyun sees it and waves his free arm at it to stop. The vehicle slowly approaches. The car is jet black and the tint is so dark that he can hardly see who is inside. The car stops in front of the couple and the passenger window rolls down. A man with light brown slightly curly hair beams a friendly smile at him, “Lost?”

Seung Hyun nods his head, “Can we hitch a ride? My girlfriend here is very ill and I need to take her home.” He gestures Sandara in his arms.

The man looks at her then turns his head back at the driver. Seung Hyun lowers his head to take a closer look at him, “Please. I’ll even pay you guys if it’s a hassle.” The other man shakes his head at the offer.

“Hop in. We’re not that type of person to abandon someone in need.” He looks back at the backseat passenger, “G.O. please move aside so the girl can comfortably rest with her other half.” He genuinely smiles back at Seung Hyun.

“Thank you.” Seung Hyun opens the door and slides into the back seat. He gently makes Sandara sit comfortably on his lap while her legs are stretched out in the middle seat. He looks at G.O., “I’m sorry if you don’t mind her feet on your lap.” 

G.O. shakes his head, “It’s fine. I feel bad that she looks very ill. You don’t want us to take her to a hospital? My friend Seung Ho can take her there if you say so.”

Seung Hyun waves his hand, “She’s just very tired. We only live a couple hours away from here.” He hands Seung Ho the address scribbled on a small piece of paper. “The ride home will help her rest and once we’re home I’ll give her some medication. Thank you for the offer.” He brushes Sandara’s hair to cover her neck hoping they won’t see it.

Seung Ho looks back and offers his hand, “Let me formally introduce myself. I’m Seung Ho and this is Joon here sitting in the front.” He pats Joons shoulder. “That’s G.O. May we know your name before we head off? Coz there’s a saying don’t talk to strangers - I don’t want us to be strangers.”

Seung Hyun lets out an awkward laugh, “I’m Seung Hyun and this is Sandara.”

Joon smiles, “You guys look like a perfect good looking couple. I wish I can find a girl that looks angelic as her.” He eyes Sandara’s neck.

Seung Hyun feels uncomfortable the way Joon is staring at her. He possessively pulls Sandara closer to his chest and eyes Joon. Joon waves his hand, “Don’t worry. I’m not planning on taking your girl. Please forgive me!”

“It’s okay. Um Seung Ho, are we done with the introduction? May we go now?” Seung Hyun runs his fingers through Sandara’s hair.

Seung Ho nods his head and smiles, “Yes, we’re done. We’ll go now.” He enters the address on his GPS system and begins driving. 

Seung Hyun relaxes when he feels the vehicle moving. We’ll be safe soon, my Dara. He kisses the top of her head then looks out the window as he watches the trees blur away. They’re normal people. I didn’t sense they were vampires like what I felt earlier when I was surrounded by them. Thanks to Bom for teaching me how to detect the smell of a vampire.

Seung Ho adjusts his rear view mirror and he briefly looks at the couple sitting at the back. He smirks. We smell like humans…My invention is a success! He focuses on the road ahead of him and smiles. We got them now.