Chapter 7

Can You Smile?

 

See, wasn't that fast?”

Hoya kept quiet. Sure, they were already walking down market square, but it had not been a fun trip. “You never told me that we'd be running through people's backyards.”

Sungjong shrugged. “I didn't think it needed to be mentioned.”

Do you walk that way home everyday?”

Unless my friends give me a ride.”

Hoya turned sharply to stare at the thin teen. “What about that dog?”

Sungjong laughed. “Oh, Killer. He's harmless! He just likes to play.”

 

Yeah, right. Hoya scoffed. That dog was bred to maim. He had been confused at first when Sungjong had paused on top of the fence, then dashed through the yard. But when it was his turn, he saw it. The thing had to be at least three hundred pounds! Then, it had turned to face him with slobber dripping from its mouth, baring its teeth. The thing was a shark! Hoya would surely die if he was caught by it.

But, it was no problem. That was on the other side of the yard, and the fence was a couple footsteps away. Only, he hadn't counted on Sungjong getting stuck. He had tried to carefully help the boy over the high picket fence, trying not to look in the monster's direction.

Then he felt teeth graze his leg.

Hoya jumped up and over the fence, grabbing Sungjong by the waist and pulling him over with him. Sungjong conducted an assessment as soon as they were safe. His jeans were ruined, but nothing was bleeding.

Hoya didn't care. He wanted to kill that dog. After that episode, he made sure that he stayed next to Sungjong as they scaled fence after fence, always checking for dogs beforehand.

 

I don't know why you're still so mad! He didn't even hurt you.” Sungjong stared pointedly at the man's leg. “And I never liked those jeans anyway.”

Hoya shook his head. This kid was unbelievable. “Fine. But don't ever expect me to pick you up again.”

The teen shrugged. “Fine with me. You complain a lot, anyway.”

Hoya glared slightly at the kid. The latter didn't even notice.

Hey, what's that?” Sungjong pointed over towards the florists across the street, where several of the women who worked there were gathered around something. “Let's go check it out.”

Hoya groaned, dragging his feet as he was pulled into the fray.

-so I told her, 'Honey, that's not Prada'.”

Hoya rolled his eyes. Of course. Woohyun.

Hello, Sungjong!” One of the younger employees quickly hugged the teen. “Shouldn't you be in school?”

The boy waved her off. “I don't need school.”

Hoya cleared his throat. “We'd better get back to the store.”

Killjoys.” Woohyun muttered under his breath. “Well, bye, ladies. It was nice talking with you.” He winked at them.

Oh, come back any time, Woohyun!”

Yeah, you're welcome here!”

Hoya walked towards the store. Those ladies were all crazy. He heard Sungjong squeal from behind him after the all the women had left.

You changed your hair! Oh my god, Woohyun, you look so hot!”

Woohyun smirked. “You say that as though I didn't look hot in the first place.” He nudged Hoya when they walked in. “Told you chicks dig it.”

Sungjong got settled on the desk and ordered Hoya to grab a bottle of juice for him. Hoya returned and settled next to Woohyun, slightly leaning against the wall.

So, what's with the change?” Sungjong swung his legs over the ground, waiting for an answer.

I need to be more manly.”

Sungjong raised an eyebrow.

I need to be able to win over that adorable man.”

The teen nodded, crossing his legs. “What makes him so special?”

Woohyun sighed. “He's the one. I just know it. That's why I have to make him realize my love for him, before someone else beats me.”

Hoya stared at the man. There it was again. The fire in his eyes.

Sungjong nodded. “Oh, I'm so happy for you, sweetie.” He jumped off the table and pulled the brunet into a hug. “Now, what are you going to do about your clothes?”

Woohyun pulled back. “What's wrong with my clothes?”

Everything.” Sungjong stated, gesturing to the mess of blue wool and black jeans that was Woohyun.

The man stared at himself. “What about it?”

If I couldn't see your face, I wouldn't know if you were a girl or not. A dress shirt? And you're trying to tell me that you're the dominant one? Please.” Sungjong flipped his hair out of his face. “Even Hoya agrees with me.”

Hoya raised his arms in surrender, not wanting to be involved in this.

Woohyun sighed. “What do I do?”

Sungjong's eyes lit up like a little kid on christmas. “Hoya, lock up the shop and meet us outside. We're going to my house.”

 

Woohyun and Hoya had never actually been inside the middle-class home. They'd only ever seen Sungjong go in and come out. So, when he invited them in, the two stayed close together and looked around cautiously.

It's so big.” Woohyun stared at the living room with wide eyes.

Hoya nodded. “This place is bigger than your apartment and mine put together.”

Sungjong rolled his eyes. “Will you two stop dawdling and hurry up?” He dropped his backpack at the bottom of the stairs and ran up.

There's stairs! And they're inside!” Woohyun squealed. Then he cleared his throat. “No, Namstar, you have to be manly. Speak manly. Um, those are some...far-out stairs.”

Hoya shot Woohyun a weary look. They heard a shout from upstairs.

Dear lord, Woohyun, could you use words that are actually spoken nowadays? This is the twenty-first century, not the twentieth. Now, hurry up! I'm waiting!”

Hoya slowly made his way up the stairs.

Calm yourself, princess.” Woohyun grumbled from behind.

Sungjong stuck his head out of the doorway to his room. “I resemble that remark.”

Hoya and Woohyun shuffled into the room.

Whoa.” Woohyun let out a low whistle. The place was as big as his home.

You two stay right here. I'm going to go grab some things.” Sungjong opened another door and ran out. Shuffling and whispered curses could be heard. “My uncle gives me these outfits at least once a month. I don't like them. One, they're too big. And two, they'd make me look like a gangster. There!” Sungjong walked back out, practically invisible behind a pile of clothes. He dumped them on the bed.

Holy crap.” Woohyun walked over to the clothes. “How many outfits do you have in there?”

Not enough.” Sungjong replied sourly. “So, this is how it's going to work. Woohyun, you're going to come back with me and change into the clothes. Hoya, you're going to hold onto this-” He held out a dry-erase board and marker that he had conjured from somewhere, “and judge.”

Hoya grabbed the two items and moved to sit on the floor.

Are you ready, Woohyun?”

Yes, Sir!”

Sungjong stuck his tongue out. “Don't get sassy with me, boy.” He led the other into the room, bringing a couple of shirts and pants with him, and closed the door.

Hoya sighed, trying to find something to do.

 

The three found out quickly that Hoya was a critic. Every outfit was awarded a four out of ten at best. Hoya doodled stick figures while Sungjong complained, tugging clothes onto Woohyun.

What do you think about this one?”

Woohyun came out wearing black slacks and a black blazer over what looked to be a black shirt. He actually looked good. Hoya grabbed his board and quickly scribbled an eight and held it up.

Sungjong screamed and jumped in the air. “Yes! Thanks, Hoya! I've got this.”

Woohyun was dragged back into the black hole. The clothes were folded and placed outside after a few minutes.

Sungjong was right. Woohyun came out of the room several more times after that wearing outfits that accentuated his muscles rather than his thin figure. They had gathered a small pile of Hoya and Sungjong approved clothes by the time the sun had set.

Woohyun held the pile to his chest. “Thank you so much, Sungjong. I promise I'll pay you back.”

The boy shook his head vehemently. “I don't make friends pay for what they deserve. Now, scoot before my parents get home.”

Both men nodded and scurried out of the house after being handed a large bag to put the clothes in.

Woohyun puffed his chest out and held his chin in the air as they left the street. “I feel like a new man, Hoya.”

You look like a new man.”

Woohyun shot him a glare. “I am going to take that as a compliment.”

After a few minutes of walking, Hoya noticed his shoulder didn't have a head on it. Odd. “Are you tired?”

Well, yeah. Of course I am.”

And you're just going to keep walking?”

You think I'm going to fall all over you?” Woohyun scoffed. “Hoya, I am a man now. And real men, like me, can support themselves just fine.”

Hoya shrugged.

 

Thirty minutes later, Woohyun had discreetly snuck an arm around Hoya's neck, slipped the bag of clothes into the other's hand, and passed out on top of him.

Hoya was currently dragging him across the street to their apartment. He knew this would happen. Woohyun would always be Woohyun.

Since Woohyun was still somewhat subconscious, Hoya was able to coerce him into climbing the stairs, but gave up on the seventh floor when the man started walking backwards. He had made it to their floor when he saw a briefcase on the final step.

Oh, hello, I was just...looking outside.”

Hoya stared at Sunggyu for a moment. Then he shook his head and made his way over to the door. “Sure you were.” He muttered.

I can take him.”

Hoya turned. Had he heard him right? This guy actually wanted to suffer? “What?”

I can take him for you.”

Hoya shrugged. Hey, if this guy wanted to cause problems for himself, who was he to stop him? “Here you go.” He quickly passed off the unconscious man, grabbed the bronze key from the usual pocket, picked up both bags and made his way over to the smaller apartment. After leaving both items on the table and holding open the door for poor Sunggyu, he turned around to leave.

He might not be as hard to get as you think, Woohyun.” Hoya thought out loud, and then felt rather stupid for talking to himself. He slid his key into the lock and paused, hand resting on the doorknob.

Wait a minute, that guy was going to be there.

Well, he could always just turn around and leave. He didn't really mind sleeping on a park bench.

But he did mind being a coward.

Willing his worries away, Hoya pushed open his door. He was greeted with loud sobs. He slammed the door behind him and rushed into the living room, wondering was was wrong. He froze as soon as he saw what was on the t.v.

Dongwoo glanced up, noticing Hoya had come back. He wiped the tears from his face and turned the movie off. “I'm sorry you had to see me like this.” He laughed, grabbing a tissue from beside him to blow his nose.

Were you just watching-”

Yeah. Bambi's mom just died.” Dongwoo quickly defended, confirming what Hoya thought he had seen. “It always gets me.” He continued to cry.

Hoya stood there awkwardly. He walked over and gave the man two pats on the back.

Thanks.”

Hoya pulled back. “So...do you think you can sleep on the couch tonight?”

Dongwoo shook his head, immediately standing. “No way. My hurts from sitting there all day. And you should come home earlier, I was bored. We could have-”

Okay.” Hoya stopped him. “Just go get in the bed, already. I don't want this to be any more complicated than it needs to be.”

Cool!” Dongwoo skipped over to the bedroom. “Thank you!” He sang.

Hoya stared at the ceiling. He didn't know how many more days of this he could take.

 

A/N: The next chapter will be more exciting. I promise.