Chapter 5

Can You Smile?

 

Hoya hated leaving the crowd. He felt secure when in the middle of a group. Outside, he felt exposed. It wasn't fun. He wanted this over with as soon as possible. He practically ran all the way to work, down the red-bricked street and over to the front door.

He was still late.

The old man eyed him. “Having problems, are we?”

Hoya tried his best not to glare at the man. “Yes, we are.”

The man sighed. “We'll be getting new stock this weekend. There's really nothing to do. I just want you two to watch the shop today. I'm feeling sick.” He stopped to sneeze. “I'll see you both tomorrow.”

Hoya watched as the white-haired male turned and walked away. Today was going to be boring. He could feel it. Perhaps Woohyun could make it exciting? Hoya stepped in the front door and was immediately attacked by a blur of purple.

Why are you late?” Woohyun asked as soon as he was done greeting the other. He stuck his hands in his overly large pockets, awaiting an answer. He received none. Narrowing his eyes at the other, Woohyun began to circle him. “I have this hypothesis, see. Every day, you're closer proving it right. I think that you are...” he paused theatrically, “A robot.”

Hoya raised an eyebrow.

Ha! I'm right! I knew it!” Woohyun jumped around. Then he faced Hoya again, looking him up and down. “I thought robots had an inner clock or something. And they don't sleep. I've never seen you sleep. Very suspicious. But, then you come in late. Twice. Are you hiding your robot-ness or are you really a human being?” He his chin. “I'm betting robot. I've never seen a real emotion actually take place on your face. I've got my eye on you.” He warned.

Hoya walked over and mussed Woohyun's hair. Now was a great time to about Sunggyu. “How was your morning, human?”

Woohyun shot Hoya a worried stare. “You're not really a robot, are you?”

No.”

Oh, thank god.” Woohyun leaned back and closed his eyes. “You actually had me for a moment there. I thought I was going to have to steal a screwdriver from the back and dismantle you so that you wouldn't kill me.” He opened his eyes to see the concerned look Hoya was giving him. “What? You're not a robot, so it's all good. Chill.”

Hoya shook his head. He could go organize the cereal by brand name or something. Woohyun was proving to be more of a stress-inducer than a diversion.

Wait! I need to tell you what happened to me this morning, since you oh-so-kindly asked.”

Hoya stopped and looked over his shoulder.

Yes! Come here, Hoya, and I shall tell you a tale.”

Hoya lowered his eyebrows and continued to walk away.

No! Wait one second!” Woohyun ran into the office and came back with two wheeled chairs. They were ripped, and had foam stuffing pouring out, but they were chairs nonetheless. “Sit.” Woohyun commanded, seating himself in the taller one, half-coated in leather. He waited until Hoya had dragged himself back and pretty much fallen into the other chair mainly covered in silver duct tape.

I woke up this morning, and guess who was in my room?”

A rat?”

No. An angel.” Woohyun sighed happily, spinning in the chair. “He said he stayed there all night and slept on my couch! Can you believe it? My couch was granted such a gift. I think it can die happy now.”

Hoya got comfortable, knowing that this could last hours. He quietly re-adjusted his fringe so that it hid his eyes. Woohyun didn't have to know if he was paying attention or not. In fact, the lovestruck man probably wouldn't even notice. It was just for an extra precaution.

So the cutie stayed this morning and cooked me breakfast–at twelve in the morning! He said that it was okay, and that he usually got up that early. I think he takes a lot of cat naps. Maybe not so much cat. More like hamster naps. Yes, that's it! Ah, I'm getting off track. So, he made me bacon and eggs! He even wore this adorable apron he found in my closet! I thanked him, and do you know what he did? He blushed.” Woohyun smiled, fondly remembering what had happened. “He had to go after that, but I had already made my decision. I'm going to make him mine.”

Hoya abruptly choked on air. Woohyun came over and lightly tapped him on the back. Gasping for air, Hoya stared up at Woohyun. “You're what?”

Yeah, yeah, I know.” Woohyun skipping back to his chair, sitting down and crossing his legs. He frowned and uncrossed them, leaning forward and placing an elbow on each knee. “You and I are both aware that in my history of relationships, I've always been on the receiving end. I'm going to put an end to that.”

Hoya stared at the effeminate male. “How?”

Woohyun pursed his lips. “I think I can do it. I've been looking at people today, and it'd be simple. The changes I'd have to make aren't that drastic. I'm not Sungjong. Plus, Sunggyu practically reeks of submission. Also, I've watched a couple of videos, so I know exactly what to do when-”

Hoya slapped a hand over Woohyun's face. “That's really nice, but I don't want to know.”

Fine. Your loss.” Woohyun leaned back in his chair. “I think I'm going to make my move today.”

Why so soon?”

Why not?”

Hoya leaned forward on the back of his chair, now that he was standing up. “What if you get rejected?” He asked cooly.

Woohyun mouthed the word. It didn't seem to be in his vocabulary. “Fine. Not today. I'll wait for the right moment, and then I'll pounce!”

Hoya snorted.

I'll have to practice, though.” Woohyun's eyes suddenly achieved a malicious look. He glanced sideways at Hoya. “Hey, Hoya, you're a guy.”

Hoya felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. “Yes...”

And you're gay.”

...yes.”

So, would you be objected to me practicing my newly found dominance on you?”

Yes.”

Woohyun gaped. “What? Why?”

Some things are just not okay.” Hoya reasoned, wheeling the chair back into the office. “Practice with Sungjong.”

Woohyun shook his head. “No, I'd feel like a e.” He clicked his fingers. “I can practice with a mirror.”

Hoya shook his head at his friend and walked off. “Can't you just practice on Sunggyu?”

Not right now.” Woohyun waved him off, running to grab a mirror from the small beauty section of the store.

 

Hoya tried not to puke as he heard the other practicing lines that he had, without a doubt, found on the internet. Some were horrible. Others weren't too bad. Hoya gave the other feedback, and held back the urge to cover his ears as those same words were repeated over and over again.

Woohyun had found a new one that he liked.

Babe, if I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put U and I together.”

Hoya gagged. Then there was silence. Hallelujah, it had stopped!

Hoya.”

The man groaned.

I need something.”

A hole in the head?” Hoya muttered. “What?”

A makeover!” Woohyun came sliding down to where Hoya was crouched. “My hair just doesn't seem masculine enough. It just lies flat on my head, kind of like yours. I need change.”

Hoya stared at a box of rainbow corn flakes. Had he just been insulted? “I don't do makeovers.”

Fine, I'll have to do it myself!” Woohyun marched off. “If Sungjong were here, he;d help me out.”

Hoya rolled his eyes.

 

Guess who's brining y back?”

Hoya sighed. It'd been nice and quiet for a while now. He knew it wouldn't last. “Who?”

Nam Woohyun, that's who.”

Hoya looked up and gaped. He couldn't deny it. Woohyun had changed in the past ten minutes, and he did look manlier, though Hoya didn't know how that was possible. “You dyed your hair.”

Hazelnut.” Woohyun pointed to it. “I styled it too. It's called 'the tousled look'. Smells like tons of cologne. Chicks dig it.”

But you're not trying to get chicks.”

Woohyun shrugged. “Close enough.” He put his hands in his pockets and clenched his jaw. “So, what do you think? Manly enough?”

Before Hoya could stop himself, he had started nodding.

Woohyun punched the air. “Yay! I did it!” He began doing a little dance, waving his arms around.

Hoya shook his head. “Never mind. You just ruined it.”

So I can't do victory dances?”

Not if you want to seem 'manly'.”

Aw, man.” Woohyun sauntered off.

The phone rang.

Two pairs of brown eyes locked together.

You go get it.” Hoya ordered.

Woohyun shook his head slowly, hair still perfectly disarranged. “We'll both get it.” He waited for the other to rise, and then both ran into the office. Woohyun's slim finger quickly tapped speaker phone.

Hello?” Hoya spoke after a nod from the newly made brunet male.

This is the receptionist at Central High speaking. Lee Sungjong's parents aren't presently at home, and you are the emergency contact. He needs to be picked up due to a fever and whooping cough. Are you able to come?”

Yes, though it might take me a while to get there.” Woohyun answered quickly, before Hoya could even try to object.

That's fine. He'll be waiting for you in the front office. Please report there when you arrive.” The line went dead.

Okay, so you go, and I'll wait here. A few chip bags are still out of order.”

Woohyun scoffed. “Are you kidding me? This hair can't go outside. You go get the kid.”

Me?”

Yes, you. It'll be fun! You can go outside and see those big green things! They're called trees.”

Hoya made a face, closing his eyes. A hand was placed on his shoulder.

You're face has been changing a lot today. I think it's time we had the talk.”

Hoya opened an eye. What?

Woohyun faced him. “You see, when a little robot turns into a big robot, something can go wrong. This problem is a thing called feelings. It's going to be hard at first, but I think you can handle it. They come with another thing, emotions. I'm not going to lie, it's tough. But since you're Hoya, I think you can do it, little robot!”

Hoya pushed the other man away. “Goodbye.”

Have fun!”

 

A/N: Wow, over 20 subs. Thank you so much! Double update. Yay!