Chapter 15

Can You Smile?

 

The next day, Hoya ate breakfast and left for work. Sungyeol and Dongwoo tagged along, both hanging off his arms. Earlier that morning, he had grabbed the dusty briefcase that sat in the corner. He was holding it now, trying not to remember what had happened the last time he'd used it.

He went straight for the boss' desk and pulled open the ancient laptop that the old man kept in there. Hoya glanced up and noticed that there were four people standing around his desk.

What are you going to do?” Sungjong asked, playing with a picture frame on the desk.

Hoya sighed, closing his eyes and trying to remember how this whole process worked. “Well, first I'll be typing up all the statements, and trying to put together the documents I found. They're in there.” He gestured to his briefcase. “Then I'll be typing up petition, the complaint, and our demands. Sungyeol, I'll get you to sign everything with me and then we can mail them to the clerk's office to be filed.”

Woohyun gave a low whistle. “You really are a lawyer, aren't you?”

Is there anything I can do to help?” Dongwoo walked over to Hoya's side and carefully pushed the brown hair out of the other's eyes.

Hoya smiled at the other and shook his head. “Just keep them out of my way.”

Well I never!” Sungjong left in a huff, sending a smile over his shoulder so that everyone knew he was just kidding.

Everyone else filed out as well, including Dongwoo after patting the seated man on his head. Hoya opened a word document on the laptop and got started.

 

Outside, Dongwoo stood next to Sungyeol, who was looking rather lost. “Worried?”

I'm trying not to be.” He sighed. “I haven't been out in so long. I'm missing my room right now.”

Dongwoo raised an eyebrow. “Your old room?”

Sungyeol shook his head. “Of course not. I'm talking about my room at Hoya's. With the nice bed, the big window, and his outdated collection of books on that dusty shelf.”

Dongwoo nodded slowly. “You haven't been to school in a while, have you?”

No.” Sungyeol said, popping the P. “Hoya's worried that my parents might have people waiting for me there.”

He's probably right.” The blond stepped forward. “Well, I dabbled in education a bit in college, so I thought we may as well keep going.”

You dabbled?”

Dongwoo nodded. “Yeah, I had to find my calling. At first it was evironmnetal science, astronomy, pre-med, education, translation, and I finally found investigation in my third year of college.”

Sungyeol stared at the man.

We're getting off topic. Anyway, I can teach you things.” He tapped his chin. “Now, all I need to do is find out where you are right now.”

Sungjong skipped down the aisle, almost running into a shelving unit.

Sungjong, come over here!”

The boy sighed and dragged himself over. “What do you want?”

Are you in the same grade as Sungyeol?”

Sungjong jumped onto the cashier's desk and shook his head. “He's a junior. I'm a sophomore.”

Oh.” Dongwoo bit his lip. “We can work with that. What are you doing now?”

Well, I'm taking Geometry,”

I failed that.” Sungyeol interjected.

Chemistry,”

Failed that one too.”

World History,”

Huh, I never even took that one.”

English,”

Failed.”

Spanish,”

I had Japanese. But I failed that.”

Astronomy,”

They kicked me out of that class and put me in Geology, which I failed.”

History of Film,”

Oh! I got a D in that!”

And Art.”

Failed.”

How can you fail Art?” Dongwoo pinched the bridge of his nose. “Nevermind. I don't want to know. It looks as though we'll have to go slowly. Sungjong, can you help?”

The boy jumped down and shrugged. “As long as I don't have to do anything.”

Do you have a whiteboard anywhere?”

We have a blackboard in the back.”

Dongwoo sighed. “That will have to do. Sungyeol, come on.”

 

Hoya had used up thirty pieces of printer paper by midday. He was in the middle of organizing his complaint when he looked up and saw Dongwoo, Woohyun, Sungyeol and Sungjong seated in a circle eating sandwiches. He watched as Sungjong stared straight at Dongwoo and asked a question. The blond male blushed and stared at the ground, lips barely moving as they formed an answer. Sungjong jumped up and threw his arms around the man.

OMIGOD!” He squealed. “I'm so happy for you guys.”

Me too.” Woohyun grinned, taking another bite out of his sandwich.

Sungyeol threw his hand into the air. “Me too!”

Hoya grinned and shook his head at the group of boys. He grabbed the warm paper from the printer and headed back to the desk. His still had to sign and address everything and complete the petition.

 

Myungsoo entered the store around eight. Sungyeol had given him the address before he left that morning. Sunggyu followed him in.

Woohyun practically flew over to the man. “Sunggyu, my love! Why art thou here?”

Sunggyu stared at the brunet. “What?”

Sorry. We just read Shakespeare.” He grinned and planted a few kisses on the chubby cheeks.

Oh.” Sunggyu dropped his bag by the door. “I saw Myungsoo on the way here, and he said he was going to the shop. I figured that I should tag along.”

Woohyun grinned. “Should we go see how Hoya's doing? We should probably leave soon. Sungjong has school tomorrow.”

Sure.” Sunggyu's face contorted into a frown. “What is Hoya doing?”

Well–“

That's fantastic!” Sungyeol shouted, throwing himself onto Myungsoo.

The older man caught the boy, grinning broadly. He ruffled the black hair with one hand as thin legs wrapped around his waist.

What's going on?” Sungjong frowned, not wanting to be left out of anything.

Sungyeol jumped off his smiling boyfriend and ran over to the teen. “L is going to be playing at a club next month!”

Dongwoo looked up from writing a lesson plan for the next day. “You play?”

He plays guitar, he sings, and he writes music.” Sungyeol walked back to the man, grabbing a fairly built arm and slinging it over his shoulder. “Well, when he isn't working.”

You're a janitor, right?” Sunggyu asked for confirmation.

A substitute janitor.”

Sungyeol began explaining when he saw the puzzled look on the face of the formally dressed man. “That means he only fills in for janitors who aren't there. It's a temporary job with sporadic pay.”

I usually can't find a job.” Myungsoo continued. “I've been lucky. Some poor guy fell down some stairs and broke his leg. He'll be out for another five months, so I have a stable job for at least that long.”

Well, we'll all have to come and see you perform, won't we?” Dongwoo sent the the man a small smile.

That would be great.” Myungsoo smiled back at the other.

Hoya stuck his head out of the office door. “Sorry to bother you. Sungyeol, I need you back here to sign papers.”

All seven of the individuals filed into the room that was made to hold less and tried to stay out of the way of Hoya and Sungyeol. The older of the two handed the boy a large stack of papers from one of the ten piles and searched for a pen. “Here. I've highlighted all the places in orange. It shouldn't take that long.”

Dongwoo stared at the open briefcase and the large piles of paper. “You've been busy, haven't you?”

Hoya began to stuff everything into the still-dusty briefcase. “I'm just trying to familiarize myself with everything again.”

You've been keeping a lot from me.” Sungjong stated, staring at the cluttered desk.

Dongwoo noticed the trash can that was pushed into a corner, filled to the brim. On the top was a clipping from a newspaper. He could read the title from where he stood. 'Woman Loses Multi-Million-Dollar Case.' Dongwoo could even see the outlines of the picture. It seemed to be an extremely mad woman and a bundled up male behind her walking down a flight of stairs. He decided not to ask Hoya about it. He'd read about that case in the report given to him by Hoya's father. From what he had read, Hoya didn't have fond memories of the event.

Done!” Sungyeol sang and handed the papers back to Hoya.

The man glanced through them, nodded, and slid them all into a large manila envelope. “We should all get going. It's late.”

That's what I said!” Woohyun threw his arms in the air with exasperation and made his way out of the office, sandwiched between Sunggyu and Sungjong.

They all waited until Hoya had locked up before heading home. Hoya stopped at the end of the red-bricked street and made to turn right with Sungjong. Myungsoo, Sungyeol and Dongwoo stared at him oddly. Woohyun placed a hand on his shoulder.

You go ahead home. We'll walk the pre-schooler back to his house.”

Hey!”

You sure?” Hoya stared at the two, ignoring the enraged kid.

Sunggyu nodded. “We'll be fine. After all, Woohyun has me now.”

Hoya smiled. “Thanks.” He turned to Dongwoo, who looped their arms together. Myungsoo and Sunyeol walked closely together behind them.

How was your day?” Hoya whispered as Dongwoo let his head rest on one of the brunet's broad shoulders.

Long.” He yawned. “Sungyeol's a smart kid. He just can't handle homework or studying very well. But we should be able to get him into the habit of doing both by next week. After all, he has to spend every minute of every day with us. It shouldn't be that hard.” He glanced up at the man. “How was your day?”

Busy. I was trying not to remember my last case.”

Dongwoo rubbed the other's back. “Don't think about it. And remember, this is for Sungyeol.”

Hoya sighed. “I know. Otherwise I would have quit already.”

Dongwoo grinned and pecked the man on his cheek. “So nice.”

Hoya rolled his eyes and stopped by a large red box.

Why are we stopping?” Sungyeol pulled Myungsoo to the side with him, staring questionably at Hoya.

I've already addressed it. Will you do the honor?”

Sungyeol's eyes almost shot out of his head as he was handed the off-yellow envelope. “Wh-what do I do with it?” He trembled, trying not to drop it.

Hoya gestured to the red box. “It's a mailbox. All you have to do is drop it in. It will be given to the clerk's office in a couple days. This is where everything begins. It's your decision whether you still want to go through with this or not.”

Sungyeol took a deep breath, clutching the envelope with two hands. He closed his eyes and then opened them. “Yes, I want this.” He took a step forward, let go of the object, and stepped back in time with a soft thud. He was rewarded with a pat on the back from Myungsoo. Sungyeol turned to Hoya with a breath-taking grin. “What happens now?”

Now,” Hoya turned away from the mailbox. “We wait.”