Chapter 10

Can You Smile?

 

 “I'm making beef stew.”

Hoya stood and made his way into the kitchen, hovering behind his new cook. “Smell's nice.”

Dongwoo grinned, as he often did. “Family recipe.”

Hmm.”

The man laughed. “Not really. I found it while watching the food network yesterday and decided to try it out. I'm glad it worked this nicely.” He shot a glance over to the closed bedroom door. “Should I wake him up?”

Hoya shook his head. “We'll put some in a container and heat it up when he wakes up.”

Dongwoo nodded, pleased with the plan. “Alright. Well, this is almost done. Do you want to get plates? I thought we could eat on the balcony outside. It's supposed to be nice out this week, before autumn rolls in.”

Hoya paused in pulling out two bowls. “Balcony? What balcony?”

Dongwoo's eyes knitted together. “You know, your blacony. It's right out that door over there.”

That's a door?” Hoya had always been under the impression that the little plank of wood had been left over from a bookcase or a desk.

Dongwoo rolled his eyes, grabbing a ladel from beneath the sink. “Sheesh. You're lucky you have me. I'm surprised you can find your front door in the morning.”

Hoya pushed Dongwoo away, pouring a little bit of beef, varied vegetables, and some kind of gravy-broth into each bowl.

The other man huffed. “Fine. I'll just hold the door open for you.”

Hoya put a spork–because who doesn't love a spork–in each bowl and headed to the supposed balcony, careful not to spill anything. He walked out the door Dongwoo was holding open and, lo and behold, there was a balcony. It was small, but it was a balcony nonetheless. “Whoa.”

Yeah.” Dongwoo agreed, grabbing a bowl. “I usually come out here while you're out. It's fun to watch all the little people. Well, I won't have to sit out here anymore.” He grinned. “These are nice bowl–what the hell? A spork? Don't you have any forks?”

Hoya gasped and sat on the concrete, swinging his legs over the side. Dongwoo sat beside him and did the same. “It's so peaceful.”

The blond man nodded, closing his eyes and leaning back as the weak wind sifted through his hair.

Hoya stared down at the road. It was still busy, even at this time of night. “Dongwoo?”

Yeah?”

Why did you say that?”

Say what?”

Hoya cleared his throat. “When I met you, the first thing you said to me–“

It was important.” Dongwoo insisted, eyes flashing open.

Hoya frowned. “Why?”

Because, as long as you can smile, I will know that you are okay.” He poked the other on the nose and looked down at his bowl. “Ah, crap. It's probably cold now.”

Hoya finished his stew and set the bowl to the side, staring up at the stars. “What shall we do about Sungyeol?”

Who's that?”

The kid.”

Oh, so he has a name.” Dongwoo gulped the rest of his broth down. “Well, I suppose we just take care of him until he doesn't need us any more.” He watched as Hoya nodded. “I wanted to talk to you about that, anyway.”

Talk away.”

So, the doc and I, we think that the kid's condition is either a result of neglect or domestic violence.”

Hoya frowned, not quite grasping what Dongwoo was talking about.

For god's sake, Howon! The kid's being abused!”

Oh.” Hoya lowered his head. Sungjong had been right. He didn't know what to think about that.

You and I both know that this is a temporary solution.” Dongwoo continued. “We can have whatever claim on him right now, but as soon as his parents want him back, we're out of the picture. We can't compete with that kind of power. But...”

But?”

Dongwoo turned to Hoya. “Lee Howon, you were the best lawyer that city had ever seen in years! You were a prodigy! Surely you could just start a case for this–“

Hoya stood. “No.” He left Dongwoo outside, slamming the piece of wood behind him.

Dongwoo sighed and kicked his feet. “Well, back to the drawing board.”

 

Hoya was sitting at the table when Dongwoo re-entered with two dirty bowls. He set them on the counter and sat across from the tired-looking man.

Listen Howon–“

Call me Hoya. We've been living together long enough.”

Hoya,” Dongwoo took a deep breath. “I'm sorry,”

Hoya cut him off by slamming a hand over his mouth. “I'm already over that. We have a more pressing matter.”

Dongwoo was instantly intrigued. “What is it?”

Hoya tapped the table a few times before glancing up. “Where are we going to sleep?”

Dongwoo opened his mouth and closed it. Huh. He hadn't thought of that.

The other continued. “We can't sleep in the bed now, and we'd better not sleep in that room at all, since it might creep the kid out.”

Please tell me you have a pull out bed.”

Hoya shook his head slowly. “It's either one sleeps on the couch, the other on the floor, or we both sleep on the floor.”

The blond frowned. “Why can't we both sleep on the couch?”

Hoya paused. “I...don't know.”

Then, let's do that! Live on the wild side, Hoya!” Dongwoo grinned, jumping up to run over to the closet. He pulled out two blankets and gestured the man over to join him. “So, how are we going to do this?”

Head to foot.”

No way! I don't want your feet in my face!”

Hoya huffed. “Then I'll just sleep on the floor.”

No!” Dongwo set the blankets on the bed. “We could just sleep back to back, like we do every other night.”

Do you think we could fit?”

Dongwoo pursed his lips. “Well, this would be way easier if you had a pull out couch or at least a sofabed, but I think we could make do with this. Besides, you're just skin and bones. I think I'd take up the most room.”

Hoya grinned, punching the other on the shoulder playfully. “Are you kidding me? All of this right here is straight muscle.”

Dongwoo rolled his eyes. “Liar.”

Nuh uh! See!” Hoya lifted his shirt, flashing the other his six-pack that he had spent so much time trying to maintain in college.

Dongwoo laughed, yanking the other's shirt down. “Let's try to keep your shir on, shall we?” He handed the man a sheet. “You get on the inside, since I get up first.”

Hoya obliged, crawling over to lay on his cheap couch, realizing how tired he was when his head hit the pillow. He heard Dongwoo get in behind him, and suddenly he could feel the man everywhere. “Hey, move over.”

I can't. There's nowhere to move to.”

Hoya groaned. “Fine. We're going to work on this tomorrow. We might go and buy a new bed.”

Ha!” Dongwoo drawled, sounding more tired than the other. “I doubt you have enough money for that right now.”

Shut up.” Hoya yawned. “G'night.”

Dongwoo muttered something in return.

Hoya closed his eyes, and he was out.

 

A/N: Sorry it's so short. I just felt like this bit was stand-alone. I'll try to have the next chapter up ASAP.

And I just wanted to say that I love all the comments! They're awesome, and they make my day :D