Chapter 13

Can You Smile?

 

Hoya woke up and it was still dark out. At fist he thought it was because he needed to use a bathroom or that he was thirsty, but then he heard voices.

His eyes widened when he realized that they were coming from inside his apartment.

He fumbled around silently, trying to pull off a leg Dongwoo had draped on top of him. Then, he searched under the couch. He knew he had a wooden bat here somewhere. His fingers felt around and enclosed around the foam handle. There. He slowly pulled it out, minimizing the noise and rased it above his head. He stepped slowly over to the sounds of talking. There were two of them.

He stopped. He was close enough. He would be able to hit at least on of the robbers, hopefully before they had stolen anything. He relaxed his arms and twisted once, twice. He was ready. The talking continued. Hoya raised the bat and swung.

NO!”

Hoya dropped the bat after he was attacked from the back and fought to get the person off. They were good. They had already locked their arms over his neck and their legs around his arms so that he was only able to try to throw them off. It wasn't working.

The lights clicked on.

Hoya looked back at his attacker and saw that it was Dongwoo. They made eye contact, and Hoya saw how tired the man still was. What time was it?

Um, guys?”

They both turned to face Sungyeol, who still had a hand on the lights.

Hoya glared. “Was that–“ He noticed that there was someone hiding behind the boy. He rolled his eyes. “Come out.”

Sungyeol whispered something to the person, and they moved to stand beside him.

Hoya inspected the man. He was slightly shorter than Sungyeol–who wasn't?–but he had an extremely angular jaw.

Hoya glared. “Who are you?”

The man opened his mouth, but Sungyeol stopping him by throwing a hand over the man's face. “I'm sorry. I should've told you sooner, but I didn't know how you would react.”

React to what?”

Sungyeol sighed, not intimidated by Hoya's growled out words. “This is Myungsoo. My boyfriend.”

Your what?”

Dongwoo jumped off of the chestnut-haired man. “Family intervention time!” he sang, running off into the kitchen. Myungsoo and Hoya dragged chairs off from the sides so that it was Sungyeol and Myungsoo across from Hoya and Dongwoo. “So, who wants to start?”

Sungyeol raised a hand, but Hoya stopped him by slamming a hand on the table. “You are going out with a guy who is two times your age.”

I haven't even turned twenty yet.”

I wasn't talking to you!”

Dongwoo tapped Hoya on the back. “Hoya, let's let Sungyeol talk, hm?”

Hoya sat back down and crossed his arms, glaring at Myungsoo.

Well, after I came out, I started staying at school a lot longer.” Sungyeol began. “I fell asleep in my classroom one time and Myungsoo woke me up. He was filling in for a janitor at my school. He walked me home. I had forgotten a book at school, so he came back with it and heard my parents..yelling.” His head drooped a little. “The next day, he told me that I should come home with him instead. He made me dinner, and even let me sleep in his bed while he slept on the floor. It was the nicest–“ He let out a sob and wiped his eyes. “It was the niced thing anyone's ever done for me.”

Hoya felt his throat tighten. He glanced at Dongwoo and saw tears making their way down his face.

I never had any friends at school.” Sungyeol continued despite his broken voice. “I don't know why. There were some that were nice to me before I came out. After that, it was hell. But it was still better than at home. Everyday after that, Myungsoo would let me come home with him.” Sungyeol rested his head on the mentioned man's shoulder. “It was really nice. I confessed after a month at our favorite cafe, and he said he loved me too. My parents saw him walk me home a week after than and installed a lock on my door, window, and threatened to sabotage him if I saw him again. It sounds drastic, but they aren't people to be trifled with.”

Dongwoo eyed the boy with sympathy, wiping away his tears.

You found me a month or two after that, when they decided I wasn't doing well enough in school to get food. I found the phone in your room the night before last and called him. I'm sorry. I know I should have said something to you both first, but I hadn't seen him in three months.” Sungyeol played with his fingers and stared at the floor.

Hoya sighed. “Fine.”

Everyone glanced up.

Hoya looked only at Sungyeol. “I'll let this go, but only because he makes you happy.” He turned to stare at Myungsoo. “If you ever break his heart, I'll kill you.” And with that, he left, settling back on the couch before falling asleep.

Myungsoo leaned over and whispered in Sungyeol's ear. “I wasn't aware you'd acquired a new set of parents.”

Sungyeol laughed. “Yeah, they're good people.”

Dongwoo got up to blow his nose and then sat back down, talking animatedly to the happy couple.

 

Hoya found, with slight distaste, that he had gotten yet another roommate. He didn't know how many more he could handle.

The sharp-jawed man came home every night, past ten, and left early in the morning, around five. That meant that Hoya didn't have to see him that often. Unfortunately, he had recently become a light sleeper, so that meant everytime his eternally unlocked door opened in the dead of the night, he woke up to watch the figure slowly make its way into his bedroom. The door always stayed open, but he could hear the whispers from inside.

Sungyeol always sounded ecstatic, no matter what time it was, and Hoya was forced into liking the new stranger.

He pulled him over one morning when it was just the two of them in the living room; Sungyeol and Dongwoo had gone food shopping.

I just want to remind you that Sungyeol is a minor.”

Myunsoo's eyes widened when he realized what the other was implying. “I understand. But, you don't have to worry. We haven't even kissed yet.”

Hoya left right away after that, feeling extremely awkward and wanting to make sure that he did not have to stare at the new house-invader any longer.

 

He had been in a daze at work, ever since 'L' (as Sunyeol liked to call him. When Hoya had asked, the kid had said the L was for Love, since the man was his one and only love. Hoya tried not to throw up) had moved in. He had sliced his hand open a couple times while cutting food, and even walked into doors and walls. As Woohyun put it, he was a hot mess.

He couldn't even look forward to sleeping anymore. Everytime he closed his eyes, his hidden thoughts during the day would haunt him. Why wouldn't he help Sungyeol? The boy clearly needed it. Then, he would see a scenario in which he had decided to leave the boy be. His abusive parents had come during the day, kidnapped him, and brought him back home. The next day, when he picked up the newspaper, there was Sungyeol's face on the front cover above the headline 'Teen Found Dead In House. Parents Heartbroken.' He would then go to court to prove that the parents were responsible, but he would lose, as every witness would have been paid off by the evil couple. He would be put in jail, somehow responsible for the death. Dongwoo visited him every now and then, but suddenly came with a man one day, introduced him as his husband and then left with the man for a honeymoon in Jamaica. He wouldn't come back. However, the worst part of his nightmare was always at the end, when he found out that Myungsoo had gotten into his apartment.

Dongwoo had woken him up more than once, saying he was screaming for help.

Hoya knew he had to do something.

 

A week and a half after the new addition, he called a family meeting. With everyone seated at the table, he stared right at Sungyeol.

If I told you I could help you, what would you say?”

Brown eyes widened to be twice their size. “I can't help it! I was born this way, and no amount of therapy will change me!”

Hoya shook his head. “No, I mean...” He sighed. “Sungyeol, you know that, at any time, your parents could call the police and ask them to find you, right?”

What about those papers you signed at the hospital?”

Those were just release forms. They had nothing to do with custody.”

Oh.” Sungyeol sounded defeated.

Well, if that happens, the three of us cannot do anything to help you, otherwise we'd be breaking the law. We would have to let the police have you, and you'd go back to live with them.”

Sungyeol grabbed Myungsoo's hand from under the table and stared at the ground, fighting tears.

But, I can help you.”

Sungyeol was up in seconds. He ran over and gave the man a gigantic hug, draping his arms over the other's shoulders. “You can?”

Yes, but it will take a lot of bravery on your part.”

Sungyeol frowned. “Why?”

We can go to court. We'll plead for a restraining order after we prove that your parents are unfit to raise you, and then you can be free from them.”

Sungyeol absent-mindedly played with the man's straight caramel hair. “I'll do it.”

Hoya's eyes widened at the quick response. He stared at the boy. “Are you sure?”

Yes. I don't want them in my life anymore.” Sungyeol looked down at the man with a puzzled face. “How are you going to find me a lawyer...attorney, whatever. Won't that cost a lot of money?”

Hoya shook his head, pulling the boy's arms off of himself slowly. “It won't be. I'm a lawyer. I'll be beside you every step of the way.” He headed over to where his keys were. Honestly, he didn't know why he brought them with him anymore. For old times' sake, maybe? “I'm going to go collect testimonies. I'll be home later.”

Good luck.” Dongwoo flashed his a great grin.

Hoya gave him one in return before leaving. He would have to skip work, but he didn't mind that much. This was far more important.

 

By the end of the day, he'd collected signatures and statements from the doctor who had examined Sungyeol after his fainting spell–the man was happy to oblige–as well as the nurse. After sitting on a street bench for an hour, he headed over to Central High, as school was out by then, and visited a few of the teachers. A fair number of them had seen questionable behavior from Sungyeol, and one had even seen a bruise caused by a hand. Most of them agreed to sign their names in favor of the boy, and two even offered to be witnesses if it was needed.

Hoya thanked them and left. It was dark out, by now. He headed home and threw open the door, grinning widely as he was bombarded by the smell of chicken pot pie and Dongwoo's own version of mashed potatoes with several spices added. It tasted amazing. Hoya's mouth watered in anticipation. He walked over to the man and rested his chin on the other's shoulder, watching as he loaded plates and filled cups.

You got enough?”

Hoya nodded. “I think so.”

Well, if you think so, then it must be more than enough.” He smiled, handing Hoya plates to put on the table.

Sungyeol skipped over. “Is it ready?”

Dongwoo nodded.

L, dinner!” The boy shouted, smiling as his tired boyfriend stumbled into the room, glaring daggers at the boy.

Dinner was, as usual, a loud affair.

I can't believe she did that!” Sungyeol shook his head.

Dongwoo nodded. “I know! I mean, get herself knocked up by one guy and then get mono from his brother? I think that's just a little bit much.”

I just think that, no matter what, she shouldn't name it Terry.” Hoya joined in. He received a stare from the three; he never talked during dinner.

Dongwoo nodded once again. “Yeah. Who names a kid Terry?”

I don't have anything against the name Terry.” Sungyeol announced.

 

When everything was cleaned up, Dongwoo and Hoya curled up on the couch while Myungsoo collapsed on the bed and Sungyeol did his best to roll the other teen over to get room for himself.

Dongwoo switched the t.v. off after a while and used Hoya's legs as a pillow. Hoya leaned his head back and he was out.

He had no dreams that night.

 

Hoya woke up late the next morning, but it was no big deal. Dongwoo told him to skip work, and he agreed. Then Sungyeol had come out and complained about not having enough room for both his and Myungsoo's clothes.

Dongwoo had suggested moving the room around.

It was accepted.

Hoya began complaining. He'd kept everything the same since he'd bought the house. It physically hurt him to even hear about it changing. The three men defended their decision by stating that Hoya did not have to watch.

They closed the bedroom door and minuted later loud screeching filled the apartment.

So, here he was, sitting on a chair in the kitchen, taking sips from a glass of orange juice. They wouldn't be much longer, would they?

Three loud knocks sounded from the front door. Hoya sighed and rose, opening the door.

A look of sheer horror transformed his face when he saw who was there.

 

A/N: I was actually kind of worried that I wouldn't be able to post this tonight. I was drowning in homework. But, I did it. Yay!

So, that is everybody. :D

And...cliffhanger! Don't worry, you all won't have to wait that long to find out who it is. 

Oh, and I know little to nothing about the mechanics of lawyering, so bear with me, please.