Chapter 1

Can You Smile?

 


               “-and it looks like a terrific day for walking, at least for the first couple hours. Then it looks as though we might have some rain, or maybe a few clouds. Once again, it is five-thirty on this fine Tuesday morning, so-”

The snooze button was attacked several times, and the radio gave out a loud shrieking noise before becoming silent.

I'll have to fix that.” Hoya sighed, sitting up slowly and trying not to cringe as his back popped loudly. Another thing he'd have to fix.

The springs in the dirt-cheap mattress let out high-pitched wails as Hoya stood up and shuffled into the bathroom, beginning his usual routine.

He'd shower, eat a bowl of some sort of bran flakes, brush his teeth, throw on some clothes that weren't too dirty-no overly noticeable dirt marks or stains-and head off to work at a small grocery store located in a shady-looking market square. After putting in his ten or so hours, he'd walk back to his apartment on the eighth floor, have a cup of coffee or watch some t.v., and then collapse onto his ancient bed. More than once he'd considered that his ancestors had made it.

Hoya threw on a simple blue shirt and some pants and walked through his one-bedroom apartment. He'd considered buying a two-bedroom at first, but who was he kidding? No one was going to come visit him.

Between pulling one tennis shoe on, and searching for the other, Hoya tripped on something hidden in the musty corner beside the couch. He glanced at it, and his eyes widened before returning to a blank stare. He grabbed the other shoe and left, slamming the locked door behind him.

 

Once upon a time, in a land far far away, Lee Howon had been a lawyer. Second in his graduating class (because his friend had been first, and he'd had no wish to surpass him), and with the highest score on his bar exam, Hoya had been overjoyed. His father, who owned a firm and was a lawyer himself, practically begged his son to come join him. It was no problem, Hoya had been planning to do so anyway.

The cases came in fast, and Hoya handed each remarkably well, much to the distaste of his seniors. He'd helped a couple take back a family heirloom, gave an old woman the ability to plant roses in the backyard of her rented house, and even argued a small hospital into agreeing to treat a small boy with HIV. It had been fantastic. Hoya could honestly say that he loved to come into work everyday. He lived and breathed rights, laws and contracts. Justice and fairness were always on his side. It was great.

Then the case appeared.

Hoya's father had dropped it nonchalantly on his desk one morning. He'd promised him it would be no problem. It was a divorce case. He was going to be supporting the defendant, a young woman who'd had three previous divorces. It was sure to be a breeze, and even though Hoya hadn't really practiced family law, he was sure he could do it.

The first time he'd met his client, Hoya could only think of one word: lavish. For some reason, she absolutely loved to decorate her clothes in lace, and always refused to discard her satin gloves.

Every meeting, she'd always be eying him. He payed no mind. He'd known he was gay for a while now. It was just a matter of ignoring the sickening winks she kept sending his way.

The day in court came closer and closer, and finally, it was time.

Hoya had never heard so much screaming.

He was in a daze the entire time, either holding his client back from attacking her soon-to-be ex, or stuttering out false information the woman had supplied him with, insisting they were truths.

It was hell.

Needless to say, he'd lost. The woman's ex-husband received the house, dog, and adopted child from Russia. And all the money. The woman was outraged. He'd thought he would go deaf by the end of all her yelling. When it was over, she slapped him.

Hoya had dragged himself home, red-cheeked and on the verge of crying. He'd stayed locked in his room for a good week. The dream was over. He couldn't look at any case without seeing all the greed and money involved. It was corrupt. Everyone and everything. Nothing was good anymore. His world had turned gray.

His own father had to come in and tell him that he was fired.

He moved out.

A city a few hours away was good enough. He got a small apartment in the slums of the city. Somehow, he found a job. After a couple weeks, there were a few people who seemed to want to be around him. He had no idea why. He forced smiles and engaged in small talk, because they seemed to be good people.

But they couldn't be. No one had any goodness within them.

Hoya began a cycle, and lived the same routine everyday. He felt like a shadow of his former self. He supposed he should change his name or something. He didn't even feel like Lee Howon anymore.

 

The traffic signal went off, signaling that it was time to walk. Hoya did so, moving with the crowd and hiding a yawn behind a large hand. He continued right, down a trash-laden street and through a small alleyway that always reeked of bad decisions. No one was out here this early in the morning. Hoya kept going, sticking with his short cut around a large park and down a red-bricked street that ended at the market.

There it was, in all its glory. Lee's Grocery Store. And no, Hoya was not in any way related to the owners. It was a common family name, especially around here.

Hoya stuck his hands in his pockets and sauntered in. He was immediately handed an apron and gloves by the manager, an old man, and told he was on stocking duty after he washed the vegetables in the back.

Hoya had gotten through all the peppers by the time the front door slammed open. It was still too early for customers, so that meant that it was-

Hoya!” A head popped through the back doorway. “Why did you start work without me? Remember? You promised me that you would wait!”

Hoya cringed at all the whining, trying not to drop the potato he was holding. “Stop being so loud.”

The other man tutted and walked closer, poking one of the clean peppers. He was swatted away by Hoya. “Hey! Stop ignoring me! I'm the Namstar!”

Hoya huffed. “Who gave you that name again?”

I did!”

Hoya continued to wash the potatoes. “Woohyun, the store opens soon.” He warned, adding another clean potato to the pile.

Fine! I swear, talking to you is like talking to a brick wall!” Woohyun threw his arms up, slipping on an apron and heading towards the front of the store to stand in front of a register for a few hours. They had an average of about eight customers a day. It was enough to keep the place in business.

 

Woohyun came to the back with two sandwiches he had made while aimlessly walking about in the store. “Break time.” He mumbled, handing Hoya lunch. They ate in silence, Woohyun's few hours of sleep finally taking effect.

The man worked two jobs. One began at one in the morning and ended at seven, at a fast food restaurant in the center of the city. Hoya had no idea how the other did it, but he did not envy him.

So, the kid won't be here today. The old man said something about school and...clubs...maybe.”

Hoya glanced up and patted Woohyun on the cheek. “Hey man, only a few hours left. Don't go crashing on me yet.”

Woohyun immediately jumped up. “Pssh, I'm not crashing. I'm just...” His head fell to the side, and he shook himself after a moment of silence. “Whatever, I'm gonna go run around the store. Have fun with your fruits and veggies.”

Hoya rolled his eyes and finished his lunch, listening to the pounding of feet throughout the store.

 

It was time. Woohyun leaned on Hoya the whole way home, insisting that it was too dark for him to walk without bumping into anything, and that he required assistance. Hoya didn't care.

They took the long way home, not wanting to risk what was waiting for them in those dark allies. They crossed each street with care, knowing that at this time, cars didn't care how fast they were going.

They reached home a little before nine. Woohyun lived on the other side of floor number eight, and Hoya ended up hauling him over to the door. He waited for the older to pull out his keys, and looked down after a few moments. He was asleep.

Hey, we're back.” Hoya nudged him, speaking in a monotone.

Woohyun's bloodshot eyes opened, and he let go of Hoya to rest on the door. “Give me a minute.” He murmured, rubbing his eyes.

Hoya waited, not wanting the tired man to collapse in the hallway. It had happened before. After a few minutes, the stairway door opened.

The apartment was built oddly. The stairs went up the the eighth floor and stopped there. To get to the ninth floor and above, one had to walk all the way down the hallway and over to the other side, where there were another set of stairs. It was a workout, and there were no elevators. Hoya was slightly thankful that he was one of those that only needed one stairway.

A slightly pudgy man emerged from the door and walked down the hall. Woohyun's face immediately lit up.

Mr. Kim!” He greeted as the hamster-like man passed.

He stopped and stared at Woohyun as though he didn't realize there were others in the hallway. A slightly confused look crossed his face before he gave a slight smile. “You're the one who works at the drive thru.”

Every morning from one to seven!” Woohyun laughed.

The other man joined in. “Well, I didn't know you lived here. I guess I'll see you around.” He turned and headed up the other pair of stairs, not leaving any room for Woohyun to reply.

Yes, yes you will.”

Hoya sighed.

Did you see that?” Woohyun almost squealed. “He knew me! He talked to me! He said that he'll see me later!”

Hoya groaned, worried that the other man would spontaneously combust. “Please, he probably just saw you this morning, so your face was fresh in his mind. He didn't even know you live here, and you've been watching him come and go every day for a couple years now!” He ranted. “And 'Mr. Kim'? Really? You can't even call him by his first name?”

We haven't reached that level yet.” Woohyun crossed his arms. “And if I wanted someone to rain on my parade, I would have told you.” He unlocked and opened his door. “See you tomorrow, Hoya.” He sighed before closing it.

Hoya headed back to his room. He watched t.v. and didn't think at all about what had just happened. It wouldn't work out. No matter how much Woohyun adored that old-looking man, it wouldn't work out. Nobody gets a happy ending.

Hoya turned the t.v. and all the lights off before falling into bed.

The day had ended. Just like all the others.