Chapter 20

Can You Smile?

 

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, our case today is Lee v. Lee. The plaintiff has stated that he was treated with neglect and minor domestic violence and requests custody from someone other than the defendant. The defendants have pleaded not guilty and stated that the plaintiff has a mental disorder.” He frowned, looking at the piece of paper beside his gavel. He shrugged and stared at the jury once more. “May I remind you that all persons involved in this case are innocent until proven guilty. With that said, will the plaintiff and defendants please come forward?”

Hoya squeezed the boy's hand one final time before pushing him upwards. The boy gave him a terrified stare before relaxing and heading over to the stand.

Lee Sungyeol, please raise your right hand. Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth?”

I do.” He spoke confidently. Hoya smiled.

So did the judge. “Well done.” He gave the boy a wink before turning to the defendants. “Mr. and Mrs. Lee, please raise your right hands. Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth?”

I do.” They spoke unanimously, faces painted with fake smiles.

Right. So, today we are looking at the possibility of domestic violence, neglect, and a mental disorder.” He leaned slightly forward onto his bench. “Mr. and Mrs. Lee, how do you plead?”

They shared a glance. “Not guilty.” This time, it was only the man who spoke. The woman stared at Sungyeol and smirked before once again facing the judge.

The young man dressed in black robes sighed. “Very well. You may both return to your seats.” He waited for the three to do so before continuing. “Now, let's begin. Plaintiff, would you like to explain your side of the story?”

Sungyeol glanced at Hoya. The man gave him a quick nod before flicking through his many papers.

The boy stood and headed over to his stand, trying not to lean too heavily on it. “Thro–“ His voice came out high-pitched and squeaky. He cleared his throat and tried again. “Throughout elementary and middle school, there was no doubt in my mind that my parents loved me. We always did everything together, and they praised me no matter what my academic or athletic results were. In high school, that changed.” He gulped. “They had friends with children who were my age, and when they compared those kids to me, I looked like a remedial student. My parents suddenly demanded A's from me. I was a B-average student. I had to quit the track team to study more. Even then, I was struggling. They stopped giving me food after a while. Then it all got worse when...”

Hoya nodded at the boy encouragingly when he glanced back.

When I told them I was gay. I ran away the first chance I got, and I've been very happy recently. I've met people who care about me, and I don't want to have to worry about being tracked down and dragged home to a locked door and no dinner.” He spoke almost exclusively to the jury, then bowed his head and made his way back to his seat.

Hoya patted the kid on the back. He was surprised that he had talked that much. It was sure to make an impression.

Would the defendant like to speak?”

Hoya froze, and felt a shiver pass through Sungyeol as a single chair scraped across the floor and a man cleared his throat before speaking.

When I married my wife, we knew we wanted to have children. When we had Sungyeol, we were overjoyed. At least, until he grew up and we saw how behind in school he was. We tried day after day to help him do his homework, but he wouldn't pay attention to us. So, we started using punishments. Every parent has to do it sometime. Yes, we may have told him to go to his room once or twice without any dinner, but it doesn't make us any less of a parent for doing so.” He finished and turned to walk away.

Mr. Lee, one second, please. It says here that you have determined that your son has a mental disorder. Can you explain that?” The judge questioned, he had been wanting to know since he had first read the case.

When we started using the punishments, Sungyeol came to this deranged conclusion that we were holding him there against his will. Locks on his bedroom door or something. Absolute bull. He could have come down whenever he wanted. The boy is obviously unfit to live with anyone else. I'm surprised he had the ability to start this case. I'm thinking that someone put him up to this, and is just feeding words into his mouth.”

The judge sighed. “That will be all, Mr. Lee.” He made a face, and tried to hide it behind his massive amount of papers.

The man walked back to his seat, where his cross wife and attorney were waiting for him. Hoya could hear them quietly complain how flippant and careless he had been. Hoya grimaced. That mean that the woman was going to try to be an actress. He glanced over at Sungyeol and saw that the boy was staring at the ceiling with glassy eyes. Hoya jostled him with his elbow. “Hey, lighten up.” He tried to smile to cheer the kid up, but the boy just stared at the table.

Attorney for the plaintiff?” The judge waited until Hoya gave a nod. “Would you care to present your case?”

Hoya nodded and stood. “Yes, your honor.” He walked over to the stand. He had done this countless times before, and now that he was starting to remember those times, the motions seemed natural to him. Hoya placed all the papers he would be using onto the stand and leaned causally onto it. “I would like to call the doctor to the stand as a witness.”

From behind him he could hear soft 'excuse me's and 'pardon me's before the man, still dressed in his long coat and scrubs, went over to the stand beside the judge's bench and sat down after the bailiff swore him in.

Hoya got straight to the point. “You checked Lee Sungyeol to see if he had any kind of mental disorder. What was your conclusion?”

The boy is completely healthy, mentally and physically, even though he is a complete giant.” There was a small chuckle from the jury and the rows of people in the back.

One more question, doctor. You were the first to examine Lee Sungyeol when he had escaped from his parents, were you not?”

I was.”

Hoya gave a nod. “Could you please describe to the court his appearance?”

The man faltered for a second. “The boy was obviously hurt. Physically and emotionally. If you spent even five seconds near him it was painfully obvious that he was malnourished and dehydrated, and had been, for at least a week or two before he came to the hospital. His state was severe. It was, by no means, the result of a light or simple punishment. I'm surprised the boy stayed awake for more than a few minutes while he was there.” He finished.

Hoya glanced around the court room. People were whispering to one another. He had created the effect that he wanted. “Thank you very much. You may go now.”

The doctor glanced up at the judge. “Your honor, would it be alright if I leave now? I have to get back to the hospital.”

It would be quite alright. Does Mr. Lee have your credentials for verification?”

Yes.”

Then you may leave.”

The doctor nodded and stood. “You've done well.” He commended, passing Hoya. He stopped beside Sungyeol. “Eat more fruits and vegetables.” The doors slammed closed after him.

Hoya called the nurse to the stand next and asked her the same questions. She gave the same answers, except she was more emotional about it. The bailiff had to go in search of a tissue box. When she also asked to leave to head back to the hospital, she stopped beside the boy and threw her arms around him.

I'm so happy for you! You're doing so well!” She leaned back, wiping her eyes. “Oh, I'm so sorry, it looks as though I've ruined your suit.”

Sungyeol assured the woman that it was okay, and she left, blowing her nose as she hurried down the aisle.

Hoya called the three teachers up next. Each said the same things. Sungyeol was a terrible student, never did his homework and struggled with classwork, but they thought it was because of home problems. One of them had almost even contacted the principal about it. As Hoya questioned each, he looked over at the jury. They all seemed engrossed in the current events, especially the twin with the brown hair. His brother always seemed to be playing on his phone, but Hoya figured that if he won one of them over, he would get both. He asked his last question. “Do you think Sungyeol would function better in school if he was in the care of someone else?”

Honestly,” The history teacher began “no.”

Hoya tried not to show his extreme shock. He heard a pencil snap behind him. Sungyeol had been taking notes. Hoya faltered for something to say, and gave up. A sudden heat took over the room, and Hoya loosened his tie. “Th-that's all.” He headed back to his chair and let his head drop in shame. How could he have just let it go like that?

Does the counsel for the defense have any questions?” The brunet judge asked, as was the policy.

The attorney, who had declined the invitation five times previously, nodded. “Yes, I do.” He stood and made his way over.

Hoya let his head fall onto the table, aware that it made a loud bang resonate through the room.

Sir, could you repeated your last statement, please?”

The man frowned. “I do not think that Lee Sungyeol would be able to perform better in school, no matter where he lives.”

The attorney grinned, looking very much like the Joker. “Thank you, sir. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this man, a trained professional in education, believes that the plaintiff does not have the ability to perform well in school. It is not that he does not do assignments, it is that he cannot do assignments. This boy is hardly even fit to be in this court, much less in the care of some stranger.” His sick smile widened and he stared at the man seated behind the large bench. “That is all, your honor.”

Hoya stared over his arm as the scary man returned to his seat. This wasn't good.

Attorney for the plaintiff?”

Hoya stood up straight. “Yes?”

Would you like to present your evidence?” The judge asked, a tint of hope in his voice.

Hoya nodded slowly. It was pathetic. He couldn't let this get him down. He readjusted his suit and sauntered over to a computer set up between the plaintiff and the defendant, clicking on a previously prepared folder. There were only three pictures, but he had a lot to say about all of them. He clicked on the first. A two-level white house with a nice garden in the front.

You might believe this is a nice house, where a happy family lives together.” Hoya walked over to the projection screen. “You'd be wrong. This is the location where my client spent the worst years of his life, neglected and desperate for help, on the second floor.” He had made his way back to the slightly-outdated laptop, and clicked for the next image to appear. “This is the sidewalk where Lee Sungyeol was found, after an attempted robbing of a grocery store, as my client was willing to go to such levels for food. He was brought to the hospital soon after, but this particular spot on the filthy suburban sidewalk is where he laid, passed out for a good ten minutes.” He clicked the next. “This is a document, signed by the doctor who served as a witness, stating both Lee Sungyeol's condition after he was found on the ground, and his mental stability.” He skimmed through both and announced that he was finished before returning beside Sungyeol. The boy gave him a nervous smile, which he returned.

Would the defense care to present their case?” The judge asked, head cradled in one hand.

The man nodded, moving to the stands. He called up the first witness.

 

Hoya groaned silently, sinking lower in his chair. It was the skeletor's–that was what he had decided to call the other attorney–sixth witness now at the bench being sworn in. The first five had all been friends of the Lee couple, and had all, in one way or another, stated that Sungyeol wouldn't receive the education that he needed if his parents weren't given custody. In other words, they thought Sungyeol was stupid and needed to stay in a locked room for the rest of his life. Hoya picked himself up slightly. This one was different. For starters, she was a girl.

She took a seat after swearing to tell the truth.

Miss, you were Sungyeol's babysitter, correct?”

The middle-aged woman nodded. “Yes.”

Could you please explain the plaintiff's behavior and other oddities you may have noticed to the court?”

Hoya ignored the voices, focusing on Sungyeol. The boy looked lost. Hoya had seen a look like that on a few of his earlier clients. It happened whenever an old friend sided with the opposition. Except, the look on Sungyeol's face was a bit different. Hoya leaned over. “Do you know her?”

No.” Sungyeol whispered back. “That's just it. I've never seen that woman before.”

Hoya didn't need to be told anything else. “Objection!” He shouted. He loved doing that. If he could ever object to anything, he would. It was an odd quirk of his. He waited until he had the entire court's attention. “The plaintiff has never seen that woman before.”

Objection sustained.” The judge turned and stared at the witness. “Is that true?”

She was trembling. It was obvious. “You said that this wouldn't happen.” She mouthed to the attorney. He shrugged.

The judge sighed. “Ma'am, could you please speak up?”

I've never babysat that kid in my life. They just wanted me to testify for them.” She grabbed her bag and ran out of the court room.

The defense attorney sent Hoya a glare. The caramel-haired man grinned. The war had begun.

The first of the two, who was still standing, spoke to the judge. “Very well. Then, I'd like to call my final witness to the stand.” He stared at Hoya again, ready to gauge his reaction. “Lee Sungyeol.”

Hoya felt the boy beside him jump. He patted the kid on the shoulder. “It's okay. They can't hurt you.” He kept a straight face as Sungyeol was sworn in–Hoya didn't know why, as the boy had already promised to tell the truth at the start–and took a seat on the bench.

The man standing in front of the boy gave a scoff at the man's lack of reaction and walked off to the side, grabbed a conveniently placed whiteboard, and rolled it to the center of the room. He quickly drew a triangle with a little box in the corner and two short sides labelled 3 and 4. He displayed it to the judge, the jury, and also the people in the benches. “This is a common geometry problem. I'm sure all the teachers would agree that a teenager at young Mr. Lee's age and grade would know this sort of shape and its properties by heart.” He received several nods from the various teachers. “But, I assure you that Lee Sungyeol will be unable to answer the question I give him, because the boy cannot be taught, no matter where he goes and no matter who the teacher is.”

Sungyeol gulped.

The man turned the board to face the boy. He pointed at the triangle. “Lee Sungyeol, could you please tell me the length of the hypotenuse?”

A few moments passed of silence.

You see, as I have told you, the boy does not–“

It's five.” Sungyeol shouted over the man's droning voice. “It's five, isn't it? I'm sorry it took me so long. I was going to ask for a calculator, because I have problems with doing that type of stuff in my head, but then I realized that it was a three-four-five triangle. So the hypotenuse, the longest side, is five, right?”

The entire room was silent for a moment. Then there was a shout.

YEAH!”

Hoya turned to see Dongwoo standing, a fist raised in the air. He smiled. The man seemed to realize that everybody was staring at him, so he apologized and sat down quickly, trying to hide behind Woohyun.

Sunggyu glanced up. “Your honor, do you want me to erase that from the transcript?”

No.” The man was wearing an amused smile. “Keep it there.”

The defense attorney took a deep breath and pushed the board away. “May I ask who taught you that?”

Sungyeol nodded. “It was one of my new friends, who's been taking care of me since I escaped.” He grinned right at Dongwoo.

Hoya, who was still staring at the only half-visible man, grinned. He looked like he was about to cry.

Th-that's all I had to ask.” The defense attorney seemed disappointed in himself.

Very well. Attorney for the plaintiff, do you have any questions?”

Hoya smiled and nodded, walking over to the stands. “Lee Sungyeol, for exactly how long has this friend been teaching you?”

Sungyeol pursed his lips. “I think it's been about a month, now.”

And in what disciplines has he been teaching you?”

Well,” Sungyeol began. “We started off with Math, Science, and Reading. We had just opened a history book a week ago, but the only thing I learned from that is that you should never try to invade Russia, because you will be frozen and you will die. Napoleon and Hitler were idiots for doubting the winters of that country.”

Hoya couldn't hold back a smile. “What else have you learned in the other three?”

Well, we did triangles, squares and circles in math. I really don't like pi. I don't care what anyone says. It's not a number.” Sungyeol openly smiled now. “In science, we made this potato explode. I'm not exactly sure how, but it had something to do with a failed neutralization of an acid or something. And, in reading, we read through Romeo and Juliet, because apparently everyone has to read that.” He made a face. “And we also got through the Odyssey, which took forever, and I'm still not exactly sure which people were gods and which ones were demigods or monsters. Oh! And I didn't know there were different kinds of poems. We learned about that too.”

Hoya grinned, facing the judge. “That is all.” He headed back to his seat and heard Sungyeol get up and follow him.

 

The defense showed their evidence, which consisted of a door without any locks or bolts. They claimed it was Sungyeol's door and that the boy was a lunatic.

And that is why he cannot stay with anyone else.” The attorney concluded.

Hoya felt something being pressed into his hand. He looked down to stare at a picture being displayed on Myungsoo's phone. Sungyeol had a knack for stealing it. He grinned. “Your honor?”

Yes?”

May I present a counter to the defense's evidence?”

You may.”

Hoya stood and quickly connected the phone to a plug on the laptop. The picture was now displayed on the screen for all to see. It was a picture of an opened door with different types of locks running up and down. Hoya quickly scrolled down to the date. “As you can see, this picture was taken before the day Lee Sungyeol escaped from his home. This is his door.” He kept it on the screen for a couple more seconds. Then he disconnected the phone. “That is all.” He returned to Sungyeol's side and slipped the phone back to the boy.

The judge called him up once again to make his argument after defense let their case rest. He stood and spoke straight to the jury, bringing up all the major points that had been discussed during the case. He thanked both the judge and the jury before sitting down. He knew he'd have to get up again after the defense made their argument, so he didn't get comfortable.

Counsel for the defendant, would you care to make your argument?”

Yes.” The man stood, trying his best to be intimidating and imposing as he practically glared at the jury. “Sure, Lee Sungyeol's parents might have gone overboard with the punishment. Sure, they might not care for their son anymore because he is a homoual. But, that does not change the fact that they are his biological parents. They have rights. No matter what, they are responsible for Lee Sungyeol. That is why they should win custody, not some sympathetic schmuck.” His gaze bore into the very soul of each member of the jury before he returned to his seat.

Attorney for the plaintiff? Would you like to wrap this up?”

Hoya nodded. He stood in the center and gave the jury and judge the warmest smile he could muster. “Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this case had nothing to do with questioning the authenticity of parenthood. This has everything to do with whether Lee Sungyeol has been mistreated. That boy deserves to live a better life and reach his full potential. None of that is possible if he remains with his parents. Please, make the right choice.” He returned to his seat next to an anxious Sungyeol.

The jury will now determine the verdict.” The judge waited until the entire body of people had risen and disappeared into a back room. “Get comfortable.” He grumbled.

 

It took three hours. Dongwoo, Woohyun, Sungjong, and Myungsoo snuck out to the food court and back to get food for themselves and the others. Sunggyu opposed the idea, trying to study the transcripts he had taken for mistakes. Of course, there were none. Woohyun had finally talked the man into eating a sandwich when the back door opened. Sunggyu shooed Woohyun away and pocketed the sandwich.

The judge sat up as the jury returned to their seats. One of the twins–the brunet–came over and whispered something into his ear. He nodded and looked around the court room. “Order.” He grumbled, tapping his gravel on the desk twice. It became silent. “The jury has found for the plaintiff.”

Sungyeol froze. Hoya grinned.

The defendant will give up custody and will face criminal charges for lying under oath.” The judge sent the three a cheerful smile, beckoning forward a group of policemen standing in the back.

Everyone stood as the authoritative men made their way down the center aisle.

The attorney backed away. “Screw this, I'm going back to clown school.” He opened his briefcase that had remained untouched throughout the case and pulled out a rainbow afro and a red nose. He slapped both on and darted out of the court room.

Sungyeol's parents stared, dumbfounded. Then they were seized by the men. Sungyeol's father raised his chin, trying to leave with dignity. Sungyeol's mother, on the other hand, didn't seem to care that she was now the center of attention. When the man grabbed her to her out, she thrashed around, trying to escape.

Hoya saw the exact moment when she gave up her act of innocence. She turned and faced Sungyeol with an enraged face as she was involuntarily dragged out of the room.

Do you see this, Sungyeol?” She shrieked. “This is all your fault, you !” She spat on the ground before the doors shut behind her.

Sungyeol was the first person to leave the room after the two. Myungsoo followed behind the boy, crawling over the rows of chairs behind him to avoid the growing crowd.

Hoya gathered all of his things and picked up his briefcase. He pushed through the crowd and made it out into the hall. He saw the two standing in a corner, Sungyeol's head pressed into Myungsoo's chest with the latter rubbing his back and whispering words of comfort. Hoya turned the other way and pretended to inspect his briefcase. Then he was attacked from the front.

That was amazing! I swear, if that had been a movie, instant oscar.” Dongwoo grinned up at the light brunet. “Everything was great. Except, of course...the end.”

Hoya nodded and gave the man a smile.

Woohyun skipped out, dragging Sunggyu with him. “That was awesome, man. Never knew you had it in you.”

Woohyun.” Sunggyu groaned. “I have to go now.”

No!” Woohyun cried. “You can't leave me!” The two engaged in a whisper-fight.

What the hell?” Sungjong shouted, making his way over to the group. “You all just abandoned me in there! I almost got crushed by this guy who was trying to get a picture of the bailiff. It was weird. I didn't like him.” He jumped back. “Be quiet! There he is!”

Hey, guys!”

Hoya was the first to collect himself after the sudden appearance of the light brown-haired man from behind them. “Mr...Horje–“

Please.” The man scoffed. “Call me Nichkhun.”

Nichkhun.” Dongwoo tried, frowning slightly.

Nichkhun laughed. “That's it! Oh my god, that was like, the best case ever. I mean between you standing up,” He gestured to Dongwoo, who ducked his head, “and you, Mr. Kick--attorney, oh, and let's not forget about our stenographer.” He reached out and shook Sunggyu's hand, either not noticing or ignoring Woohyun's glare. “I thought they were kidding when they said that you could type two hundred words per minute.”

Sunggyu's face heated up, turning pink. “Please, sir. You've been here longer than me. I should be shaking your hand.”

Hoya cleared his throat. The strange judge pulled back and stared at him with a perturbed face. “Sorry, for interrupting you, Nichkhun. I was just wondering, when would you like us to come in to decide who Sungyeol's new guardian would be.”

Oh, that custody thing?” He smiled. “We can do that now.”

Sungyeol's eyes widened. “Now?”

Yeah, sure.” Nichkhun turned. “Follow me.”

The group all shared a look, then ran to catch up to the man. He stopped halfway and gaped.

Are all of you coming?”

Woohyun backed off. “I don't think we have to. Honey, show me your office.” He purred, pulling Sunggyu away.

Dongwoo patted Hoya on the back. “He's right, you can do this without me. I'm feeling kind of peckish. Sungjong, you wanna come too?”

Sure.” The boy shrugged, not really caring where he went.

Nichkhun eyed Myungsoo. “Are you going to leave too?”

The dark-haired man intertwined his fingers with Sungyeol's. “No.”

Cool.” He turned back around and made his way down three halls before stepping into a room. He pointed to a couch and a couple of chairs behind a desk and chair. “Excuse me for a moment.” He muttered, pulling off his robes and throwing them into a corner. Beneath, he was wearing a bright green top with jeans that hugged his thin legs. He grinned and took a seat in his chair and spun a couple of times before facing his guests.

Sungyeol and Myungsoo sat on the couch. Hoya hesitantly took a seat on one of the chairs.

Myungsoo frowned. “Are you really a judge?”

The man nodded. “Yeah. Went through college with flying colors. These guys almost didn't hire me. Something about me being overqualified. But then I came in for an interview and they accepted me immediately. It was cool.” He rolled himself over to a filing cabinet. “Let me get out all the custody stuff.”

Three loud knocks sounded on the door. It opened and a dark-haired man with tattoos running up and down his arms walked in. “Nichkhun!”

Hey, Taec!” Both men shook hands and hugged.

How did your case go?” The new man asked.

Awesome.” Nichkhun grinned. “The kid won.”

Ha! I knew it!” The man raised his arm in the air, displaying a dragon that seemed to be winding its way up his arm. “Changsun owes me twenty. Anyways, just wanted to drop by and see if you wanted to go out to dinner. Junho thinks we'll be leaving in an hour.”

Nichkhun nodded. “I can do that. Is Wooyoung going?”

The other man rolled his eyes. “When would that guy miss an opportunity to leave work?”

Nichkhun smiled. “True. Well, I'll be ready as soon as I finish this custody stuff.” He gestured to the people gathered on his furniture.

Taec jumped. “Oh, sorry, you guys. I'm, uh, Taecyeon. But I guess it's kind of late for introductions, huh?” He gave a nervous laugh. “Oh hey congrats, kid! Nich, I'm gonna go now. See ya later.” He walked out and closed the door.

That was Taec.” Nichkhun explained, laying out papers on his desk. “He's a judge too. Policy is no tattoos, so he has to get Junsu, his friend, to help his cover up every single one before a case. It's hilarious. Only someone like Junsu would have the patience for that. There! That's everything. So, first I need to find the law that applies to you.” He moved some papers around. “Let's see. 'If the court finds that both parents have a history of perpetrating domestic violence' yes, that's the right one. So, which one is it after that? A, no. B...no. C? 'If necessary to protect the welfare of the child, award sole legal or physical custody, or both, to a suitable third person if the person would not allow access to a violent parent except as ordered by the court'.” He glanced up. “Does that sound about right?”

Hoya nodded, as he was the only one who understood what was going on.

Good. Then, I suppose it would be one of you two who became that third person.” He tilted his head. “So, who's it going to be?”

Hoya frowned. Was he really ready to accept sole legal responsibility for the kid? Maybe–

Me.” Myungsoo coughed. “I'll take care of him.”

Nichkhun gave the man a quick once-over. “What's your name, soldier?”

Kim Myungsoo.”

Very well. How old are you?”

Nineteen.”

Nichkhun nodded slowly. “Sounds good. Sungyeol, are you happy with that?”

The boy nodded and laughed. “Yes!”

Nichkhun smiled–did the man do anything else except smile?–and handed Myungsoo a couple of papers, showing him where to sign. As the man signed, he discussed living options with Sungyeol.

Hoya stood. “Is it okay for me to go? I'm not needed, am I?” All three men shook their heads. “Okay. It was nice meeting you, Nichkhun.” He shook hands with the seated man. The other nodded.

Yes, it really was.” He pulled back and leaned backwards in his chair. “I hope to see you around here.”

Hoya gave a quick nod and left. He had to find Dongwoo.

He finally spotted the man sitting alone on a bench in the lobby. He ran over and shook the man out of his reverie. “Hey, guess what? Myungsoo's getting custody for Sungyeol. That mean's that I finally get my room back!”

Dongwoo gave the man a forced smile. “That's great, Hoya. Really great.”

Hoya frowned. “What is it?”

The other sighed before speaking. “Well, you did so well out there. It made me realize something. You don't need me anymore.”

Hoya froze, staring at the man.

You did so well, and I didn't have to prompt you or anything.” He paused. “You see, I had this plan of guilting you into going to see your dad after the case. But, your friends really are great people. And they're lucky to have someone like you. I could never take you away from that. So, that's why I've decided that I need to leave now. I'll just tell your dad that I couldn't bring you back. Not getting one paycheck won't be such a big deal.” He glanced up at Hoya from under his bangs. “So, I'll be off now...unless you don't want me to go.”

Hoya didn't know what to say. He didn't know what was going on.

Dongwoo sighed. “As I thought. Well, I'll be off now. It was nice loving you, Hoya. No one will ever be able to replace you.” He walked over and kissed the unmoving male on the lips before turning and walking away.

Hoya just stood there, feeling lost and alone as the blond disappeared into the crowd.

 

A/N: So the entire case was a mixture of websites, forums, movies, and stuff I made up. 

So, I hope the length of this makes up for how long it took me to upload (it was nine pages on the one thing, i usually write 3 1/2-4 1/2).

I'm gonna start writing the ast chapter now, so that it doesn't take as long. 

Sorry for the wait!

Hope this was worth it.