Chapter 18

Can You Smile?

 

Are you sure?”

How many times do you want me to say it?” The man in the white overcoat laughed good humoredly before heading back to the boy seated on the padded bench. “This boy is in perfect mental and physical condition. Well, he is a little underweight, but that's understandable.”

Thanks.” Hoya nodded, pacing beside the door. “Could you write up a report for me? And would you mind serving as a witness?”

The man's eyes widened slightly before he grabbed the clipboard handed to him and began to write feverishly. “Good on you. Most of my patients don't have the guts to do this, and then bad things happen. I hate it when that happens.” He threw the pen he was using in the garbage and grabbed a new one. “I'd be happy to be a witness for you, although there wasn't much that I saw. Just give me the date and I'll be there.”

Hoya tapped his foot lightly for twenty minutes, and then the man a couple of papers in his face.

There. Do you think three papers will be enough to convince them?”

Hoya grinned. “I don't know. It takes more than fancy handwriting and filled papers to convince people, nowadays.”

Touche.” The doctor grinned back. “Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go perform open heart surgery.”

Sungyeol gaped and hopped off the bench. “Really?”

The man rolled his eyes. “No. Not really. But I do have to check on a comatose patient. Bye! And don't come back!” He gave the two a mischievous smile before running down a hall.

 

Hoya had sent back the defendant's reply a week ago. He and Sungyeol had been collecting evidence to prove Sungyeol's case since then. They had received the date of the trial a few days ago; it would be in two weeks. Hoya hadn't remembered things going by so quickly.

By the end of the first week, they had coerced three of Sunyeol's teachers to bear as witnesses after much pleading on the teen's part. They had also gotten the nurse that had helped them at the hospital to second the doctor's opinion, and they had gotten Woohyun to take pictures of anything that seemed important.

After the film was developed, Hoya only had about six pictures, as all the rest were of Sunggyu. Hoya made a mental note not to let Woohyun do things alone.

At the store, the four–Dongwoo, Hoya, Woohyun, Sungyeol, and sometimes Sungjong–would practice court scenarios to get Sungyeol used to it. Hoya knew that it couldn't compare to the real deal, but it could help.

Days flew by like the wind, and suddenly it was the night before the trial. Everyone was uptight, so Sungjong decided that they all should go out to dinner.

 

Where's Sunggyu?” Sungjong frowned at the empty seat.

He's caught up at work. He called me a little earlier to tell me that he couldn't come.” Woohyun spoke softly, staring at the glass in front of him. He sniffed it cautiously and then took a sip. Immediately, he made a face and pushed the glass away. He grabbed the apron of a passing waiter and requested a glass of water.

Have you been here before?” Myungsoo stared with interest at the blue neon lights covering the ceiling in various designs.

Yeah, my friend had his sweet sixteenth here.” Sungjong pulled the cherry out of his drink and began swinging it from side to side. “It's also where he met his girlfriend. She was the waitress who dumped his cake on him.”

Stop that.” Hoya muttered, staring at the swishing of the cherry. “You're going to put me to sleep.”

Sungjong grinned but ate the cherry and left the stem beside his knife. “I had something to say but I can't–oh, right!”

The others watched and the boy disappeared below the table and popped back up with a pink and purple striped bag. The boy was grinning widely.

I was shopping the other day and I found these!” He pulled out several odd bracelet-shaped objects, each with a different design on the side. “I figure they'll be good luck charms or something for tomorrow. They were best friend bracelets.”

Liar.” Sungyeol stood up straighter. “Those are couple bracelets. You saw them and got them for everyone because you don't have a boyfriend.”

Sungjong glared at Sungyeol. “Yes. I got them because I'm lonely, okay? Now you don't get one.”

Sungyeol jumped up. “What? Hey!”

Hoya pulled the boy back into his seat. “Restaurant.” He growled out.

But he's not giving me a bracelet!”

Restaurant.” Hoya repeated.

Sungjong dispersed the bracelets. Hoya grabbed two and handed one to Sungyeol, ignoring the other teen's glare.

They ordered food, trying not to be too expensive, and talked until it came out. Then they ate happily. When they finished, they all stared at one another wearily.

So,” Dongwoo spoke the question that was on everyone's mind. “Who's paying?”

It shouldn't be Hoya or Sungyeol.” Sungjong spoke up.

All heads turned to Woohyun.

What? Fine. I will pay for your guys' happiness.” He grabbed his wallet angrily and waited for the check to come. When it did, he glanced at it, sighed, and pulled out several dollar bills. The waiter told them not to rush, so they didn't. They stayed for another hour or two before finally departing.

Sungjong's parents came to pick him up, so the group didn't have to worry about bringing him home. They decided on a meeting point for the next day and waved goodbye.

 

Sunggyu was waiting on the stairs. Woohyun scaled the last flight and collapsed onto the man.

Sunggyu waved to the four before more or less carrying Woohyun back to their room.

Dongwoo opened the door and smiled as Hoya walked over to the couch and fell onto it. He stared at the young couple, who were chatting. “Hey, you two. Go to bed now. We've got a big day tomorrow.”

Sungyeol groaned. “Can we not go?”

Dongwoo shook his head. “No, now go to bed. You too, Myungsoo.”

Sungyeol sighed. “Come on, L.” He dragged him into their room and pushed the door closed some more.

Dongwoo could hear voices still coming from within, but he didn't stop them. At least the boy wasn't nervous. He sighed and dragged his feet over to the barely sleepable couch and laid down on it. He grinned as arms s around him and pulled him further onto the piece of cheap furniture. “Hey, are you worried?”

No.” The answer was quick.

Dongwoo shook his head slowly. “Don't lie.”

There was a pause. “I'm not worried.” Hoya whispered. “But I'm nervous.”

A small smile played on Dongwoo's lips. He closed his eyes. “And that's okay.” He reached up to lay his hand on top of Hoya's. Then he yawned widely and and fell asleep.

 

A/N: Ugh. I feel like this one is completely rushed. But, do not fret! The next one definitely won't be. 

Oh, and if you were wondering, I'm getting all my law/court info from here. It's some kind of California law self-help website. I'm not double-checking any of the stuff I find, because I am not writing a research paper, so please don't expect everything to be 100% correct. I'm just doing my best with what I've got, people. 

So, yes. Onward, to court!