Chapter 21

Can You Smile?

 

You're leaving me?”

Hoya kept his head in his hands as he felt a dip in the couch beside him and then an arm slung itself over his shoulder.

Hoya, I'm only moving twenty minutes away. Stop being such a drama queen.” He mussed the man's hair with a scrunched up face, and then frowned as the man's head sunk lower. “Don't make this harder, Hoya. I thought you wanted your apartment all to yourself?”

Hoy shook his head.

Sungyeol stood. “Well, I have the last box. Do you want to drive me over to my new house?”

Hoya shrugged and walked over to where the keys were kept, and let out a sigh when he saw that there was only one left. He motioned for the boy to follow him, grabbing the box out of his hands. They both went down the eight flights of stairs, and then one more, into the garage. Hoya unlocked his used red Prius, threw the box in the back and started up the car, waiting for Sungyeol to put his seatbelt on.

It had been three months since Dongwoo left.

Three months of sleeping alone on the couch, cooking his own breakfast, and walking by himself to work. It had also been three months of looking for a house, for Myungsoo. Both Hoya's and Myungsoo's salaries saw an exponential increase. Hoya had been offered a job from a head of a firm who had been present during the case. He had accepted, and asked to work clerical duties. His new boss, who was an extremely accommodating man, tried to get Hoya to be involved in several different cases, but Hoya declined. He couldn't do it.

Myungsoo, on the other hand, had been offered a permanent job as a musician at three different clubs right after he had performed his first night. The man only worked three nights a week, and got paid a fortune, not including tips from customers. Sometimes, if it wasn't too late, Sungyeol would accompany him.

Despite his ever-sour mood, Hoya was genuinely happy for the two. He had bought a car from a used dealership so that he could ferry his roommates around town quicker. He also tried to make it harder for Myungsoo to find the right house. It didn't work. The man had found a two-floored beauty two blocks away from Central High. It was all wood, and was very open, which promoted acoustics and made Myungsoo extremely happy. The second floor was more of a loft, and Sungyeol had already planned out his room.

Hoya had tried to ignore the two. He really didn't want to be alone again. Sungyeol was right, they would only be twenty minutes away, but Hoya didn't care. It was the same as being hundreds of miles away. He already regretted quitting his job at the grocer's, as he didn't see Woohyun, Sungjong or Sunggyu as much anymore. He had only had a glance of the three in the past few months.

We're here!” Sungyeol sang.

Hoya slowly parked the car and almost reached over to stop the kid when Sungyeol pulled off his seatbelt and hopped out of the car. Hoya sighed and reached down to pop the trunk. He watched as Sungyeol ran into the house, stopping to greet Myungsoo.

Hoya unwillingly got out of the car and walked over to the house. He leaned against the concrete fence and stared at the building. This was it. Why was he so upset? Hoya frowned.

Hey, you look constipated.” Woohyun grinned playfully, walking past with filled arms. “Why am I carrying all this stuff in? You're stronger than me. You do it.”

Hoya shrugged and leaned down to pick up a box.

 

Myungsoo called break time and gathered everyone at the island in the kitchen to show them his newfound drink-mixing tricks the bartender had taught him. He made four glasses of lemonade.

Did I miss all the heavy lifting?” Sunggyu asked hopefully, poking his head inside.

Myungsoo got everything back out to make another drink while Woohyun jumped away to attack his lover.

Sungyeol poked Hoya with his elbow. “So, what are you going to do with an apartment to yourself?”

Hoya shrugged. “I don't know.”

Sungyeol sighed. “You know, it's your fault.” The room went silent. The teen had just said the words that everyone had been thinking, but nobody wanted to say. “You shouldn't have just let him go like that. Why didn't you go after him?”

Hoya shrugged. “He wanted to leave. Who was I to stop him?”

You're so dense!” Sungyeol groaned, pulling at his hair. “That guy would glue himself to your side if he could.”

Myungsoo laid a hand on the boy's shoulder. “Don't get too worked up about this, Yeol. Why don't we start moving stuff into your room? Hoya, could you bring his boxes up the stairs?”

Hoya nodded and went over to the kid's pile, which just happened to be the highest. As he passed Woohyun and Sunggyu, the more exuberant of the two leaned forward and tapped him on the shoulder.

He's right, you know.” Woohyun muttered.

Hoya chose to ignore the man and began lugging boxes up the spiral stairs. Sungyeol adored the odd steps and had even tried to slide down them. Myungsoo had been forced to act as a human mattress to catch the boy.

Sungyeol moved the boxes around in his room, not wanting to open any just yet. He planned on doing that tomorrow. “You know, we miss him too.”

Hoya groaned, placing a heavy box near the door. “You really want to talk about this?”

Sungyeol glared at the man. “Yes. I do. Dongwoo got me through the worst times of my life. You too. Admit it. You wouldn't be where you are now if he hadn't pushed his way into your life.”

Hoya sighed and walked over to the boy. “I do miss him. But, I've faced facts. He's not coming back. I've gotten a job. I can support myself without him.”

Sungyeol increased his glare. “You're not even going to try to find him?”

It's no good if the person doesn't want to be found.”

You're an idiot!” Sungyeol rolled onto his back. “A complete idiot! You're still in love with the guy and you're not even going to attempt to get back together? You're worse than I thought you were.”

Hoya did a double-take. The kid had sounded so much like Dongwoo.

What?” Sungyeol frowned slightly at the other man.

Nothing. I'll go get the rest of the boxes.” Hoya turned around.

Sungyeol gritted his teeth. “Don't give up, Hoya!”

 

Hoya lugged all the other boxes into their respective rooms as Woohyun had given up and Sunggyu was forbidden from lifting heavy objects. The two were sprawled out on the shrink wrap-covered couch, talking every now and then but mostly reveling in the silence of the large house.

Myungsoo was organizing the kitchen in between tuning his guitar, to make sure it was perfect for his performance later on in the night.

Hoya finished moving all the boxes that he could find and moved to sit outside. The house had a surprisingly large yard filled with overgrowing weeds, ivy, and flowering plants that seemed to be eating each other. Hoya rolled up his sleeves and began by ripping the weeds out of the ground.

Then he tried to order the plants. More often than not, he just removed the ones that weren't as nice-looking. He stopped in front of a large oak, the only tree in the yard, and sat down, leaning back against it.

It was overcast, so it wasn't exactly hot out, but it was by no means cold, either. It was nice.

Hoya smiled, slipping into some sort of daydream.

 

Hey! Anybody home?”

Hoya frowned, shaking his head slightly. He must have fallen asleep. He stared through the window that doubled as a door into the backyard and saw that Sungjong had arrived.

Sungjong!” Woohyun sat up. “You're late. Did you forget where this place was or something?”

No, it wasn't that.” The teen sounded excited. “Dammit, where's Hoya? I need to tell him something.”

What do you need to tell him?” Sungyeol leaned over the top of the stair rail. Myungsoo abandoned his fruit smoothie and ran over to get beneath the boy in case he fell.

I just–I can't tell you. Just go find Hoya!”

I'm here.” The brunet walked into the multi-purpose room and stood in front of the newest addition. “Why are you breathing so hard?”

I ran.” Sungjong said simply, dropping his bag onto the ground and taking a seat in the kitchen.

Myungsoo gave him a glass of water once Sungyeol had safely made it downstairs.

So,” Sungjong began after downing the glass. “I have something amazing to tell you.”

Hoya rolled his eyes. “What, did U.P. wear the same shirt as you again?”

No. And his name is T.O.P.”

Hoya sighed. “Whatever.”

It's way better than that.” The kid was jumping up and down in his seat.

For the love of–just tell us already!” Woohyun groaned.

Sungjong grinned. “Okay. So, I got out of school and walked over to Grandpa's to tell him I was coming here. On the way over, I took a shortcut through the park and you won't believe what I saw.”

A three winged bird?” Sungyeol tried.

Buried treasure?” Woohyun suggested.

My boss?” Myungsoo joined.

No!” Sungjong shook his head. “I can see that you won't get it, so I'l give you hints. He was playing with a couple of kids, and he had big teeth and blond hair.”

Hoya ran out the door.

Sungjong grinned. “Go get 'em.”

 

Hoya was out of breath and his legs ached, but all that was forgotten when he head the loud laughter coming from his right. He turned to see some guy playing soccer with a group of kids. He ran over and tackled the man to the ground in a hug.

Whoa, who–“ Dongwoo stopped and laughed. “Hey there, Hoya.” He glanced up at the kids, who were giving him worried looks. “It's okay. This guy's just a big baby. I'm gonna go cheer him up, okay?” The kids all nodded. Dongwoo pulled himself and the other up, and they walked over to a tree.

Hoya wrapped his arms protectively around the other's waist.

Dongwoo tried to hide a smile. “You know, I was under the impression that you wanted me to leave.”

No.” Hoya's voice was muffled slightly by the man's back. “I would never want that.”

Dongwoo turned, slightly confused. “Then why didn't you say anything?”

Hoya shrugged. “I didn't know what to say.”

The other man laughed and mussed caramel-colored hair. “I should have known. After all, you seem to be a man of few words.”

Hoya nodded, contenting himself with the sound of Dongwoo's voice and the feel of him. He had missed this.

I missed you too.” Dongwoo chuckled lightly.

Myungsoo and Sungyeol moved out. They live in this nice house now.” Hoya spoke finally.

I know.” Dongwoo grinned. “I've been keeping tabs on them.” He made a face. “That sounds creepy, doesn't it?”

Hoya laughed and nodded. “So, I seem to have a few empty rooms.”

Are you sure you wouldn't prefer that they stay empty?”

Hoya shook his head. “No. They definitely need an occupant. But not me.”

I see.” The other smiled. “Do you have any idea what you are looking for in this 'occupant'?”

Hoya pressed his lips into a line. “Well, he needs to be able to cook. And clean. It also might be helpful if he could teach a black-haired teenager about World War Two. And this last one is just a preference, but I think I'd like him blond.”

Dongwoo gave a theatrical gasp. “Why, that sounds like me!”

Yeah.” Hoya grinned. “So, will you move in? Please?”

Sure.” Dongwoo laughed, seeing the other attempting something akin to puppy eyes. “But only if you buy a real bed. That means a frame that keeps the mattress off the ground.”

A frame it is.”

Dongwoo leaned sideways and rolled over so that he was on his back. He stared up at the sky–it was dark now, and stars filled the endless space above.

Hoya rolled over until he was beside the man. “Did you want to see the others?”

Dongwoo yawned. “Yeah, but we can do that tomorrow. I've missed Sungyeol's hugs. There's nothing like them.”

Hoya closed his eyes. Then he reopened them a few seconds later. “I should probably be heading back.” He said reluctantly. He would walk; he could pick up his car from Myungsoo's the next day.

I should probably go with you.” Dongwoo turned to face the man. “You know, to get used to the apartment again.”

Hoya grinned and stood, bending down to help the other man stand. They walked out of the empty park hand-in-hand. Hoya turned to cross the street but Dongwoo pulled him back seconds before a car zoomed by. They shared a knowing smile and then went to cross the street.

Hoya paused in front of his apartment and met Dongwoo's eyes. “Before we go in, you have to promise me something.”

Hm, a promise.” Dongwoo made a face. “What is it?”

You have to promise me that you won't try to leave me again. Ever.”

Dongwoo laughed and squeezed Hoya's hand. “Okay. I promise.” He leaned over to kiss the man, wrapping his arms round the other's neck when their lips met.

Hoya used one hand to unlock the door to what was now, and always would be, their home.

 

A/N: FALSE ALARM! :D

So, sorry if the ending was a little cheesy. It just kind of turned out that way. 

Well, we did it. We got through it before the comeback (who else is counting down? MAY 15th! YAY!). Again, I'm gonna thank the awesome commenters and subscibers because every time I was doing something counter-productive to the writing of this fic, a new comment or sub made me go right back to writing.

I'm just really happy that I can click the 'completed' box. I've wanted to do that for a while now.

 

So, thanks again for everything! I love you all! <3