Chapter 19

Can You Smile?

 

 “I'm not sure if I can do this.”

Nonsense. Of course you can.” Dongwoo tied the striped purple tie around the man's neck. He turned and grabbed a lint roller and gently went over the suit the man was wearing. “You've trained hard for this, young grasshopper.”

Hoya raised an eyebrow at the man, temporarily distracted. “Where did you even find a suit?”

Dongwoo put the lint roller in a cubinet beneath the kitchen sink. “It's like I told you; being homeless was only temporary. I'm actually kind of rich.”

Hoya glared at him. “Then why do you make me pay for everything?”

Dongwoo shrugged. “I have to stay in character. Now, stay still. I need to fix your hair.”

Fix it? How?”

Well, I won't comb it to the side. That's just a no.” Dongwoo buried his fingers in Hoya's light strands of hair and carefully arranged them. “Your hair looks best tousled. There! Now you look scary!”

Hoya glanced in the mirror of what used to be his room. Now the queen mattress was in a dissarray, blankets and pillows strewn everywhere, and clothes were littered here and there on the ground. The entire room had a strong smell of cologne, which was impossible, because neither Myungsoo nor Sungyeol believed in the man-perfume. Hoya wrinkled his nose for the umpteenth time. “Are you sure this will work?”

Is the sun in the sky?”

Hoya glanced out the window. “I don't know. It's too cloudy to tell.”

Dongwoo rolled his eyes. “It's the sun. Of course it's there. Now, let's go.”

Hoya froze as his briefcase was in front of him. Butterflies began exploding in his stomach. “I really don't want to do this. Can't I just stay here? You know a lot about law, I'm sure you could do it.”

Dongwoo groaned. “Dear lord, it's like trying to make a child go to school.” He stared at Hoya and a mocking smile filled his face. “Come one sweetie, let's go. One footstep at a time.”

Hoya grumbled. “Fine. You don't have to be an about it.” He threw open his door and stomped out. Dongwoo smiled playfully and stepped out behind him, waiting for the younger man to close the door. It took a while, and both took a deep breath once the deed was done.

Hoya stared at his black dress shoes, trying to think up another response. He saw a small piece of white under the welcome mat–it had come with the room, and he had never felt a need to dispose of it, despite its uselessness. He swore quietly and picked the object up, opening what turned out to be an envelope. Tearing it open, he threw the ripped paper on the floor and read the typed words with narrowed eyes.

Dongwoo sneaked over to lean on Hoya's shoulder. “What is it?”

Sungyeol's parents requested a jury. This came in a week ago.” He flipped to the next page. “We were supposed to send this back in with our choices a few days ago, apparently.” He flipped back to the first page.

Dongwoo stared at his watch. They were going to be late to meet up with everyone else. He looked back up and saw how hard the man was concentrating on the documents. Subtley, he wound his arm through the other's, and began pulling him in the direction of the stairs. They were halfway to the court by the time Hoya realized they were outside.

He sent Dongwoo a nasty glare before focusing back on the paper containing names and other information of possible jury members.

 

He was attacked from the side about twenty minutes later. Hoya glanced down and pulled off the teenager. “You're going to wrinkle my suit.” He complained softly. Then he stared at the boy. Myungsoo had taken off work for today, even after being threatened not to by Sungyeol, who was worried about the man's already-low salary. The two had gone suit shopping early in the morning after the four discovered that Sungyeol had no formal attire. The boy was now in a tight-fitting black suit complete with a black blazer and tie. If not for the ever-present smile, one would have thought the boy to be a CEO of some sort. Hoya saw the shoes and frowned. Black sneakers?

We didn't have any time to get shoes.” Myungsoo defended from his seat on the concrete stairs leading up to the imposing building. He saw how the man was staring at the oddly paired shoes. “Yeol and I swapped.” He motioned to his own neon splatter-painted design of tennis shoes, Sungyeol's favorites.

Dongwoo waved the man's worries away. “It's fine. No one looks at shoes anyway.”

Hoya scoffed and stared at his own shoes that Dongwoo had finally picked after ten minutes of staring at his limited closet.

You are a completely different case.” Dongwoo reasoned. He took a seat next to Myungsoo on the stairs and they began a conversation about their expectations of today. Hoya went back to staring at names.

Sungyeol frowned. He was alone. He smiled up at Hoya. The man didn't notice. He pouted and quickly stole the briefcase from the man. Hoya was concentrating too hard on the paper to notice. Sungyeol gave up and draped himself over Hoya. “Pay attention to me!” He whined, stopping when he saw the official seal on the paper. “What's that?”

This is a list of jury candidates.” Hoya explained, his chocolate eyes not leaving the paper.

Sungyeol flattened his lips into a line. “They're the ones who decide whether we win or not, right?”

Hoya gave a quick nod.

Sungyeol bent his knees a bit to get a better look at the paper, wanting to know whose hands he was leaving his life in. He pointed to two names. “Why do they have the same last name?”

Hmm?” Hoya stared at the pair of names. “Oh, Kwangmin and Youngmin?” He flipped to another paper. “It says here that this is not their first experience inside a court. That means they have friends on the inside. The good news for us is that one of them is openly gay.”

Nice.” Sungyeol nodded.

Do you recognize any of the names? Your parents might have paid someone off.”

Sungyeol stared at the paper and frowned. “Yeah, actually. This one, that one, him, him, him, him, that guy, hi–wait nevermind, that guy and, that one.”

Hoya raised his eyebrows at the boy before staring at the paper once more. “Have any of them been involved in criminal activity?”

Well, yeah.” Sungyeol replied flippantly. “But two of them didn't get caught.”

That narrows it down.” Hoya stated, clutching the paper as though it was his lifeline. “What about–“

I'm sorry!”

The four turned to see a panting Sungjong, leaning on his knees and holding up his index finger. He caught his breath and stood up, brushing off his expensive-looking suit.

I thought you said your parents were dropping you off?” Myungsoo asked, not really wanting an answer.

Sungjong gave him one anyway. “Well, I kind of forgot about everything.” He confessed. “It wasn't until first period when I remembered. I told the teacher I was sick and borrowed a suit from this one guy who always has three in his locker at any given time. I still owe him ten dollars.” He mused. “Anyway, I skipped school and ran here, and I made it. Can we go in now?”

Dongwoo shook his head. “No, we're waiting on–“

A holler interrupted the man as a blur of black and white flew down the railing, jumped off, and posed. “The Namstar does it again.”

Hoya rolled his eyes and took a step towards the building. “You might want to make sure that you didn't get bird poop on your suit.”

Motherfu–“

Shall we?” Dongwoo interrupted, starting up the stairs, with the others close behind him.

Sungyeol looked around. “Hey, Woohyun, where's Sunggyu?”

The man hit his forehead with his palm. “I keep forgetting to tell him. I'll call him when we get inside.”

Why not now?” Hoya glanced over his shoulder.

Because I don't feel like it.” Woohyun spat, pushing one of the grand doors open.

The inside was completely open. Men and women in suits mulled around the lobby, talking on their phone or lugging armsfulls of papers. The six moved inside, standing near the entrance to the family courts. They heard a loud crash and turned to stare at some poor man who had apparently tripped and dropped his pile of papers. Luckily, another man came over to help him.

Should we go help?” Sungyeol asked.

Myungsoo shook his head. “We don't want to be late.”

I'll call Sunggyu now.” Woohyun announced, pulling out his green phone. Sungjong and Sungyeol both stared at the unfortunate men on the other side of the lobby.

Sungyeol frowned as he saw the man who had dropped everything pat down his pockets. Sungjong saw it too. They both glanced back to Woohyun, then back at the man. Hoya caught on as the man whipped out a cell phone and held it to his ear. The three turned to stare at Woohyun again before staring back at the man. It was slightly difficult, but they could see the man's mouth moving as sounds came out of Woohyun's phone.

Sungjong grabbed onto Woohyun's sleeve and began shaking it, trying to get the man's attention. Woohyun shot him a glare, but continued talking.

Sungyeol stepped in. “Woohyun. We need to–“

Can't you see I'm on the phone?” The man roared, his voice echoing throughout the slightly domed part of the building.

The three turned back to face the man on the other side of the lobby, and saw that he was staring right at them. All three turned the other way when he began walking very quickly towards them.

Woohyun was still ranting, but was interrupted by a tap on his shoulder. He turned and grinned. “Sunggyu!” He exclaimed, throwing himselg onto the man.

The remaining five watched as Sunggyu accepted the hug, but then pulled his lover back and stared at all of them. “Listen, it's nice seeing you here and all, but what are you doing here?”

Sungjong crossed his arms. “Well, what are you doing here?”

Sunggyu pulled out a small card secured to his neck by a blue landyard. “I work here.”

Woohyun frowned. “Why didn't you ever tell me that?”

You never asked.” Sunggyu spoke slower when he faced Woohyun, and his eyes turned soft. “So, answer my question.”

We're here for Sungyeol's trial.” Dongwoo stated.

Sunggyu glanced at the boy. “Please tell me that you're not that kid who's trying to get custody away from his parents.”

Sungyeol frowned. “But...that's what I'm doing.”

Sunggyu swore. “I'm your stenographer.”

But, there's no rocks anywhere.” Woohyun stated with a frown.

What?”

Stone-ographer?” He repeated slowly.

Sunggyu shook his head and patted the brunet on his back. “It means I have to write down everything that everyone says.”

Oh.” Woohyun looked at the ground.

So, who's you lawyer? Is he even here?” Sunggyu watched as all arms pointed to Hoya. He raised his eyebrows. “Huh. You guys might actually have a chance. Wait here while I go grab my stuff, then we can go into the room. I have a key.”

After he had left, Woohyun made a face. “I have decided that I do not like Sunggyu when he is working.”

The others nodded.

 

They were the first people into the room. Hoya and Sungyeol set up at one of the tables in front of the room whilst Sunggyu pulled out something that looked like a tablet and began fiddling with it. The remaining four took a seat in the second row of the benches, talking with hushed voices.

Hoya was going over all the events with Sungyeol as more people entered the room, when three extremely-rich looking individuals entered the room and began setting up at the other table.

One of the three–a woman dressed in a tight-fitting black dress and dangerously high heels–sent Sungyeol a look that was both pitiful and mocking.

The boy quickly buried his head in Hoya's shoulder. The older gently ran his fingers through Sungyeol's thick black hair. “You just have to ignore it. If you want to be free, then you have to face your fears and stand tall.” He murmured, watching as the last few members of the jury–of which had two men that looked almost identical, save for the obvious dyed-blonde hair of one–entered the room and took their seats. “It's starting.”

All rise, this court is now in session, the Honorable Judge Nichkhun Horvejkul, presiding.” An important-looking man spoke from beside the bench.

A door in the back opened and a light brown-haired man dressed in black robes entered, taking a seat at the bench and surverying the crowd quickly before speaking. “You may all be seated. This session has now begun.”

Hoya sat back down, and felt Sungyeol feebly searching for his hand. He grabbed the other's quickly and squeezed it, trying to get the other to calm down. Sungyeol couldn't afford to be scared now. The fight was happening, and Hoya was not one to take a defeat sitting down.

 

A/N: Yay! Not as long as I had hoped, but that is okay. 

Why Nichkhun? Because it came to me in a dream (not really). This is how my mind works: I need a judge=judge needs a name=NICHKHUN! 

It's kind of funny because I'm not really that much of a 2PM fan, so I'm not exactly sure how that worked. Oh well. And why the Jo twins? Because I needed more names. And also because I love them.

(Source for that gif)