Chapter 2

Can You Smile?

 

 

The alarm never went off. As it turned out, the radio really was broken, and Hoya hadn't any time to fix it.

As a result, the man woke up an hour late, blurry-eyed and still half asleep. When he found that the radio was broken, he reached for his watch he never used, somewhere beside the mattress. All the while he had a sinking feeling in his gut. Hesitantly, he glanced at the time and shot up, screaming expletives.

He dashed out of his room five minutes later, having only thrown on some clothes and taken a quick glance in the mirror–to stare at his suddenly gravity-defying hair–before grabbing shoes and running out. He'd had to run back up after reaching the fourth floor to make sure the door was locked. It wasn't.

He waited impatiently for the red lights to go off, running across the street when they did. He received a few honks for his actions, but he didn't care. He was late.

Hoya ran down the allies and sprinted down the red-bricked street. The old man was waiting for him outside, and Hoya was breathing so hard that he could only force out a couple words. Something along the lines of “radio...late...”. The old man sighed and handed him his apron, grunting out that he was working at the register.

Hoya nodded, heading behind the ancient, rust-collecting technology. Really, it was a wonder how the thing even worked. His heart was still pounding in his chest. But it wasn't because of all the running. It was exhilaration. Everything was different. He didn't know what to expect next.

And he kind of liked it.

 

Woohyun wouldn't talk to him. He sat in the back, trying not to fall asleep while staring at a pile full of bread that needed to be sliced. It was weird. Woohyun always talked. Hoya supposed it had something to do with last night.

When lunch time rolled around, Woohyun finally spoke.

I want chinese.”

Hoya only nodded. He didn't really want Woohyun to ignore him, and in all honesty, the man was his only friend. He removed the apron and informed the old man that he would be back in twenty minutes, depending on traffic. The man grunted a response, and Hoya headed out.

He was going to have to walk past the apartment, to a nice take-out place beside the fast food restaurant where Woohyun worked. It was Woohyun's favorite place to get chinese, and Hoya was hoping it would win him more than a sentence when he returned to the store.

As he passed the apartment complex, he spared a look at it. The building didn't look that impressing. Half-covered in graffiti, with the other half as some gray bricks, it looked like a bad public school or even a prison.

It could be demolished at any time. Apart from himself, he only knew two others that lives there: Woohyun and 'Mr. Kim'. He had neither heard nor seen any others out and about in the stairway or building itself. A company would have no problem kicking out all the tenants to turn the place into another parking lot. The street only had eight, surely it would need nine, like the road adjacent.

Hoya was so wrapped up in his thoughts, he didn't even notice as the walking man turned into a red hand. He had already stepped foot in the street when the light turned green. He was halfway across when some man in a truck–who was intent on texting his girlfriend–barreled down the street towards him.

That's when he heard the shouts.

Stop!”

Look out!”

Hoya stared at the nearing truck, it's owner still not seeing the pedestrian, and felt much like a deer. He hoped he wouldn't end up like one, that the people who were watching would be nice enough not to leave him by the side of the road.

The truck was almost on top of him now, but he couldn't move his feet. Hoya took a second to marvel at how slowly time seemed to be moving, before he realized that this was it. A small question flitted through his mind 'Do you have any regrets?'. And, surprisingly, yes. He regretted that he hadn't been able to talk to Woohyun that morning. Also, he regretted that his only love was in high school, and lasted for a total of six weeks. He didn't have time for any more contritions. He could practically feel the grill of the oncoming vehicle. He closed his eyes. This was it.

 

Hoya hadn't thought that the truck would hit him from the side. He'd just assumed that it would meet him head-on. And, trucks didn't weigh as much as they used to. He had expected more of a slam, not so much of a push. Nothing on him really hurt, except for his back. Very odd.

Can you smile?”

It was a strange question to ask. He had no intentions of answering it, but it was an odd question nonetheless.

Suddenly, the rest of the world seemed to come alive again.

Are you alright?”

Should I call an ambulance?”

Can you hear me?”

Are you able to move?”

And then he became aware that there was someone on top of him.

What the hell?”

Ah, so you're alive.”

Hoya opened his eyes. The first thing he saw was obviously dyed blonde hair on top of brown roots. And then the person faced him again. Hoya had never seen teeth so white, or so big. He then saw mahogany eyes staring at him. Hoya tried to get up, but it was like he was rooted to the ground.

Everything suddenly made sense. Someone had pushed him out of the way. He was never hit. More importantly, this person was still on top of him, holding him down. Hoya grimaced, looking away. “Get off.”

The weight was immediately removed, and the strange blonde-brunet held out a hand to help him up.

Hoya ignored it, continuing over to the chinese place. Crisis adverted. All was well. He could hear the crowd behind him, thanking the strange man for saving him. Hoya rolled his eyes. The things people did for attention nowadays.

A few minutes later and he had reached his destination. He placed an order and sat down. No one else was in the store, and apart from orders and conversations shouted in chinese, it was quiet. Hoya relaxed.

The bell that hung on the door rang loudly as the door opened and closed. Hoya sat up, turning to see who the customer was. He gaped. No way.

There you are!” The man grinned. “I turned around and you were gone! I suggest that you don't go back to work. I doubt you can see it, but you've got a few scrapes on your head and undoubtedly some emotional trauma. I mean, you almost got hit by a truck. So, I'll stay and walk you home so that you can arrive safely and-”

Order five-five-four.”

Hoya shot up and grabbed two small bags from the petite woman. “Thank you.” She nodded and wished him a good day, as he had already paid after ordering. Hoya made his way around the man, who was still ranting about some nonsense. He'd just gotten outside when he heard the door open behind him. Hoya took off, walking quickly down the street.

Hey, wait! Where're you going?”

Hoya blended into the crowd, something that now came easily to him, and made sure he crossed all the roads with others beside him, sneaking glances to make sure the traffic lights were all red.

He was walking around the park when the hairs on the back of his neck stood up. He heard soft footsteps behind him. There was someone following him. At first, Hoya tried to ignore it. It would stop soon.

It didn't.

The red-bricked road was across the street, and the footsteps continued. Hoya quickly turned around, but saw nothing. Well, except for a bright red shirt and an arm poking out from behind a tree. He sighed. “Hey, creep. I can see you.”

Listen, I'm only trying to help you.” The man walked out from behind the flowering tree, arms raised in surrender.

I don't need help.” Hoya made to cross the street, glaring at the stranger the entire time. He was slightly confused when the man's eyes widened and he ran over, grabbing Hoya by the collar and pulling him back. “What was-”

A checkered taxi raced by, honking angrily before making an insane turn around the next corner.

The other man let go, grinning triumphantly. “So, what do you call that?”

Bad luck.” Hoya crossed the road successfully. “You attract traffic like a magnet.” He reasoned, waving back to the few vendors on the street who knew him.

What? Oh, come on.” The man was beside him, now. “You almost got flattened into a road, twice! And I just saved your life! Twice!”

...your point?”

You could at least say 'Thank You'.”

Thank you.” Hoya said gruffly, stopping in front of the store. “Now, leave me alone.”

No.” The response was quick. “I can't trust you to take care of yourself alone.”

Hoya groaned. “Then wait here. This is where I work, and you can't come in.”

Fine.” The man pulled over a large wooden crate, testing it before taking a seat. “I'll stay right here.”

Fine.” Hoya huffed, feeling rather childish as he stomped through the front doors of the store. There was no way that guy would wait there for him. He'd surely give up and leave by four.

 

In the end, he was only awarded with a small smile and a whispered 'thanks'. But it was enough. It told him that Woohyun wasn't ignoring him anymore, and was probably sad for another reason. The two ate in silence, with Woohyun still looking rather upset. Hoya gave him a pat on the back before heading back to the register.

Now it was just a matter of wasting eight hours, and then he could head home.

 

It was closing time in ten minutes. He'd been arguing with this same woman for twenty minutes, although it felt like hours.

Ma'am, we do not carry products from that supplier. And I've told you this seven times now.” The second statement wasn't said aloud, although he felt as though he might if she asked that same question one more time.

But I need food made by that company. It's the only yoghurt my daughter will eat.”

Then you will have to go somewhere else.” Hoya leaned onto the register. “Because we do not carry products made by that company.”

So you've told me.” She grumbled, fixing a strand of black hair behind her ear. “But I came here to buy that.”

Let me explain to you how a business works.” Hoya hissed, patience wearing thin. “We buy food and products from certain companies. We make choices based on popularity and price. Sadly, sometimes popularity does not overcome price. Your yoghurt is an example of that. So, although you need it, we do not carry it. There is another store around the corner that carries more expensive goods, so you might-”

You aren't hearing me correctly.” The woman snapped. “I came here to buy yoghurt for my daughter. Not anywhere else. I'm sure you have it in the back. Just get me the manager and I'll explain my situation to him.”

Listen here, lady.” Hoya snapped. “I'm not going to waste that man's time on you. I've told you many times that we do not carry the product you are looking for, and you continue to ignore me. You know what I think? I think you should go and stuff-”

Hey, Hoya!” Woohyun appeared from behind Hoya, slamming a hand over the other's mouth and jumping onto his back. “Sorry Ma'am, but we're closing the shop now. You'll have to leave.” Woohyun smiled, speaking in the most sincere voice possible.

The woman scoffed. “You can be sure I won't be coming here again.” She stuck her nose in the air and left.

Woohyun hesitantly removed his hand and jumped off the other's back, reaching behind him to switch off the lights.

Good!” Hoya screamed, still enraged by the woman. He grabbed a mop and scrubbed the ground furiously.

Woohyun watched with an eyebrow raised, waiting until Hoya had dropped the mop and turned around. “Shall we go?” He waited for Hoya to nod, hiding a yawn behind his sleeve.

Hoya paused in the doorway. “Hey, can you check to see if...anyone's out there?”

Why?”

Just do it.”

Woohyun sighed, sticking his head out. “There's no one here. Now, can we go?”

Hoya sighed in relief. Of course that guy would leave. He'd been right. In a better mood, he stepped out and pulled the already locked doors shut, yanking down the rolling gate shortly after. He bent down to lock it, and then returned to his waiting friend. The manager always left before they did, he trusted the two and needed to get home and sleep earlier than the closing time. He wasn't young anymore, as he proclaimed multiple times throughout the day.

Woohyun immediately threw an arm over Hoya's broad shoulders, not hiding his yawn this time round.

So, the kid wasn't there again?”

Hmm?” Woohyun was already half-asleep.

The kid. Was he out again?”

Woohyun hummed. “Yeah. He's signed up for a musical or something at the school. Practice every day.”

A musical?” Hoya snorted. “Of course he'd do something like that.” There was no response. Woohyun was already asleep.

Hoya braved the streets, high beams blinding him every once in a while, and dark figures calling to him from behind dumpsters. He ignored them all, focused on pulling the man with an arm slung over his shoulder back home.

He reached the room relatively quickly, leaning against the wall to shake his friend awake. “Hey, Namstar, you're home.”

No.” The man grumbled, unwillingly opening his eyes, which suddenly filled with fear. “Hey, Hoya. Carry me in this time. It's an emergency.”

Hoya, who had turned to leave, stopped and frowned. “Why?”

Okay, so, this morning I wanted to eat a banana, right?” He waited for a response. “But, then I dropped it! It's on the ground somewhere, and I can't be bothered to turn on the light. What if I slip on it and fall? Or worse. What if there's a hoard of rats in there feasting on my banana? You have to help me!”

Hoya opened his mouth, prepared to decline.

If you say no, then I'll write a note. It'll say 'In the event of my death, Lee Howon is responsible'. And then I will slip, fall, break my head open, and die. Then the rats will come and eat me. They'll find my bones, and the note. Then you, Lee Howon, will be put in jail for manslaughter.” Woohyun finished, finally taking a breath.

The door at the end of the hall shut loudly.

Silently, both men watched as fully-suited Kim Sunggyu marched down the hall, stopping at the other stairway for a moment. “I don't want any deaths taking place in this apartment complex.” Then the door opened and the hamster-like man was gone.

HA!” Woohyun yelled. “Sunggyu agreed with me! Now you have to carry me in!”

He's Sunggyu now?”

Yes. He's talked to me twice, and agreed with me. We've reached that level.”

Hoya sighed. “At least unlock the door first.”

No, the rats might come swarming out.”

The chestnut-haired man sighed and turned around, wincing as Woohyun jumped onto his back, crossing his arms and legs. He was silently handed the key, and he moved to open the door. The first thing he noticed was the absence of rats.

Moving around in Woohyun's apartment was much easier than navigating around his own. The older male owned a one-room apartment, with the kitchen and tiny bathroom on the right, and a day bed and small television on the other. Woohyun had explained once that he worked two jobs in order to pay for some college loans for a degree he had never completed, and overdue taxes that kept piling up somehow. The smaller apartment meant lower rent, which was just what Woohyun needed.

Huh. I don't see any rats.”

Shut up.” Woohyun mumbled, trying not to fall off.

Hoya slowly made his way to the day bed while turned around, stopping when his calves hit the bottom. Woohyun detached himself and quickly crawled under the blankets.

Night, Hoya.”

Hoya made his way back to the door. “Goodnight, Woohyun.”

 

When he got back to his apartment, he promptly fixed the radio. There would be no more days like this one. Only carefully controlled, structured, and planned routines were in Hoya's future. He would make sure of it.