Chapter 12

Can You Smile?

 

He woke up to the smell of cheese and bacon.

Hoya sat up. What?

In the kitchen stood a blond-haired man, immersed in his cooking. Hoya had honestly never been happier to see another human being in his life. Without even thinking about it, he tore off the green blanket placed on top of him at some point during the night, ran over, and threaded his arms around the other male's chest.

Happy this morning, are we?” Dongwoo laughed.

Hoya nodded, letting go and moving to sit at the table. “I thought you'd left.”

The man scoffed. “Like I can leave you alone! Anyways, I apologise. I underestimated the severity of your lawyer-related trauma. I am going to try a different approach.”

Hoya leaned on the table. “You are?”

Yes. I'm going to rehabilitate you slowly.”

Hoya held back a laugh. “Rehabilitate?”

Yep. It's going to take longer, but it should work. After all, you are a fragile person.”

Hoya laughed openly this time.

That's nice. You should do that more often.” Dongwoo threw a smile over his shoulder. He stared at the clock. “Hey, you haven't gone on your daily 'I'm late' rant yet. What gives?”

The old man said I could stay home today. Something about being too stressed.”

Dongwoo's eyes lit up and he grabbed a bag of bread. “Today is going to be amazing. I can feel it. Should I give Sungyeol one or two pieces of bacon?”

Two.”

Dongwoo nodded and concentrated for a moment. “There! Breakfast sandwiches! You can have the first one.”

They ate in relative silence, smiling at each other every now and then.

My show's on!” Dongwoo jumped up and sprinted into the living room, seating himself on the beat-up sofa before turning on what had been the latest flat-screen t.v. a decade or two ago.

Hoya heard loud music and watched, mildly interested, as Dongwoo stood from the couch and began dancing around. He let out a loud bark of laughter. “What are you doing?”

Dongwoo made a face. “Shut up. I know it looks weird.” He then motioned for the other to come over.

Hoya stood, placing his dishes beside the sink and going to sit on the couch.

No!” Dongwoo objected, grabbing one of his arms. “You have to dance.”

I can't dance.” Hoya muttered, remembering the horror of his senior prom.

Oh, please.” Dongwoo rolled his eyes. “Everyone can dance. Stop being such a drama queen. Look, they even show you how to dance on screen. Now, follow blondie's lead.”

Hoya sighed and stared at his television. There was a woman who could be Barbie's cousin demonstrating some odd twisty move. He tried it and let out an eep when he tripped on his own foot.

Dongwoo grabbed his arm before he could hit the floor and pulled him back up. “Don't worry. It never works the first time.”

Hoya nodded and concentrated on the skinny broad on the show. He imitated her movements to the best of his ability, including a small turn after a pelvic that seemed to have just been included so that the woman could show how high up her skirt really went. Hoya placed his hands on his knees when she waved goodbye.

Dongwoo let out a gasp. “This guy.”

Hoya glanced up. “What? You mean it's not over yet?”

This show runs around the clock. Anyway, this guy's impossible.”

What does he do?”

He pops and locks.”

Hoya stared at the screen as techno music started in the background and the man moved impossibly fast, stopping every now and then to freeze in a box-like shape. When finished, he announced that he would be teaching each move one by one.

Out of the corner of his eye, Hoya saw Dongwoo get into a battle position. He did the same. For thirty minutes, they copied the man's movements identically. After a while, Hoya was able to anticipate the moves and move his body fluidly before the demonstrator. When it came time for the full dance, he and Dongwoo stayed mostly in sync, except for a few trips and fumbles here and there. The man on screen waved and left. The two fell to the ground, breathing hard. They heard loud clapping, and turned to see a smiling boy.

Sungyeol! I didn't think it was possible for you to wake up at this time!”

The kid grinned playfully at the man. “This dancing thing you're doing, is there going to be another one?”

Yeah, the next one's pop music.” Dongwoo gasped out. “You want to join?”

Yes!”

 

After an hour of watching Sungyeol's amazing ability to adapt to any given music, the three were seated at the table, drinking lemonade that Dongwoo had made.

Wow.” Hoya said finally.

I used to take classes.” Sungyeol shrugged.

Kid, you're awesome.” Dongwoo nodded to himself and then stared at the other's clothes. “Are those the same clothes we found you in?”

...yeah.”

Do you want new ones?”

It was a couple minutes before the boy nodded slowly.

Dongwoo stood, eyes twinkling. “Then let's go. I'm going to make you look fabulous!” He sang, throwing his arms into the air while shaking his hips.

Hoya and Sungyeol's jaws both dropped.

I didn't realize you were...” Hoya trailed off.

Were what?”

Gay.” Sungyeol stated simply.

Dongwoo scoffed. “Who isn't nowadays?”

Sungyeol grinned impossibly bright and ran over to the man, throwing his arms around him.

Aww, you're adorable!” Dongwoo grinned. “Look, Hoya, our son loves me!”

The light brunet stood and rolled his eyes, walking over to the couch in search of his keys. He stopped when frail little arms wrapped around his waist and a head pressed into his back for a nanosecond. Then he turned and faced the teenager with an astounded look on his face.

Sungyeol thought the look meant that the other was mad. He lowered his eyes. “I'm sorry.” He turned away.

Hey, slowpokes! Hurry up!”

Hoya went into motion, snatching his keys up off the floor from beside the couch and racing over to the door. He locked it, listening to Dongwoo and Sungyeol playing on the stairs. In his short history of bodily contact, had never received a hug like that before. Not one so sincere and innocent.

Hoya stared at the kid who was now spinning, trusting Dongwoo to make sure he didn't hit any walls.

Maybe this kid did need his help.

 

Hoya was done.

He already had six bags, so why did Dongwoo insist on getting more?

This would be so much easier if you weren't freaksily tall!” The man roared, throwing another rejected outfit onto the pile.

Can we go now?”

Hoya shot the poor boy a gracious look.

What?” Dongwoo sniffed. “I just wanted to get you clothes, and you wave me away?”

But, I really want to go to the park!” Sungyeol tried to defend himself, not sure whether to run away or pat the upset man on the back. “It's around the corner, near market square.”

It has an ice-cream truck parked at the entrance all day.” Hoya added.

Then it can't be helped.” Dongwoo threw the rest of the clothes on the pile and walked out of the store.

Sungyeol moved beside Hoya. “Thanks.”

I've got your back.” Hoya grinned and ran to catch up to Dongwoo, watching as the kid flanked the blond's other side.

 

They made shapes out of bricks in the sidewalk and laughed at the oddly clothed people that passed. As soon as they had entered the park, Dongwoo escaped and bought three cones of lime sherbet.

No one can hate lime sherbet.” He stated, handing one each to Hoya and Sungyeol. He collapsed in a nearby bench and finished his cone first. He then leaned back and let the sun shine on his face. “Today is a good day to be outside.” He stated dreamily.

I'm going to throw the wrapper out.” Sungyeol pointed to the useless paper wrapping on his cone. Hoya handed the boy his own crumpled-up wrapping and watched as he ran down the path and disappeared behind a tree in search of a trash can. Hoya turned to face Dongwoo, not noticing a soccer ball heading their way.

Mister, could you give us our ball back?”

Dongwoo's eyes snapped open, and he grinned at the ball resting beside his feet. He stood and held the ball under one foot. “Only if I can play too.”

The kids glanced back at their parents, who nodded cautiously. They grinned at the friendly man.

Dongwoo smiled brighter. “Smell ya later, Hoya!” He ran off, dribbling the ball and kicked it to the shortest kid of the five.

Hoya smiled and laughed at times, watching Dongwoo play with the toddlers. Whenever the kids got the ball from the man, he would collapse on the ground and the short kid would come over and pull him up. Hoya honestly didn't know why he found it so funny. He just did.

You have to admitm he's good with kids.”

Hoya jumped and fell of the bench. He stared up at a grinning Sungyeol. “I suppose.” He responded cooly, climbing back onto the bench and staring at the sky. It had to be four by now.

He's a good catch.”

Hoya frowned. Had he heard wrong? “What?”

Sorry. I meant, you know, good job. On nabbing him before someone else.”

Hoya's eyebrows rose. “We're not together.”

Sungyeol coughed and turned around, hiding his embarassment. “Oh, I see.”

Hoya patted the kid on a shoulder and got up, making his way towards the kids. “Dongwoo, it's time to go.”

Aww.” Five others voices echoed his whine. “Do I have to?”

Yes. Now, get over here.”

Dongwoo kneeled beside one of the kids. “He's just mad because we didn't bring dolls for him to play with.” The kid exploded into giggles.

Get over here!”

Okay, okay!” Dongwoo ruffled the short kid's hair. “Seeya!” All five kids waved as he left. Dongwoo skipped over and immediately threaded his fingers through Hoya's. “Where to next?”

Sungyeol, seated on the bench, eyed their intwined hands with a raised eyebrow.

Hoya forced his hand free and glared at the teen.

Sungyeol rolled his eyes. “How about that patch of grass over there, under that tree?”

All three ran over and laid on their backs, staring at the clouds. They argued over which cloud-animal was which and gradually began to yawn more and more. Then they made connections between the brightening stars with their fingers. Hoya heard a light snore coming from Sungyeol.

We have to go now.”

Dongwoo agreed with a somber nod, nudging the boy awake with his foot. He made sure that Sungyeol was able to walk by himself and then gave Hoya the okay, pointing to his row of shopping bags waiting to be carried home.

 

They made it back to the room on tired legs. Hoya quickly ditched all the bags on the table and wished Sungyeol goodnight, turning the boy slightly so that he wouldn't walk into a wall.

Dongwoo had already crashed on the couch. Hoya slid off his shoes and crawled over the man, instantly falling alseep on the back of the couch. Snores filled the room.

Sungyeol smiling, pausing in the act of closing his door. He shook his head and moved over to his mattress, leaving the door open.

He didn't have to worry about closing his door anymore.

 

A/N: Over 40 subs! Thank you very much!

I think I've got at least five more chapters in me before I end this. Honestly, I'm surprised I made it this far.

Hope all of you had a fantabulous day! (I'm just glad that mine's over) :)

Goodnight!