The Next Morning

Destiny has a weird way of showing itself

After the phone call we went back to my room to hang out for a bit before going to sleep. I didn’t feel like playing anything so I just laid on my bed and watched the two boys battle each other in Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Gongchan was winning so far but Baro was close and could turn the game around. I watched them play a good three matches before my eyes started to get heavy and I ended up falling asleep on my bed while watching the two play.

When I opened my eyes that next morning the first thing I saw right beside my face was Baro! My eyes widen and I was completely woken up staring at his sleeping form, before making a noise I decided to calm down and not wake him up. For some reason this boy was sleeping right beside me on my bed when the last thing I remembered was him playing the game with Gongchan. Maybe Gongchan dared him to do it or maybe he just wanted a nice place to sleep? I blushed deeply as I looked at his soft features almost wanting to reach out and touch his face but I held back and instead looked at my clock to check what time it was.

1:45p.m! I almost yelled when I saw the time but I held myself once more remembering the sleeping boy next to me and sitting up in my bed trying to remember if I had set the alarm last night, but since I didn’t even realize I fell asleep on my bed I must have not set the time to get up in the morning. I calmed down once more and laid back down on the bed to look at Baro who was still sleeping despite all of this.

It wasn’t until I heard, “MAY WHY IS THERE A BOY SLEEPING ON THE COUCH?!” Did Baro’s eyes shoot open and look at me with a sudden fear. My dad was home from the hospital!

“Quick get in the closet!” I whispered loudly in his ear, he seemed frozen for a second but then realized what I said and quickly shot across my room to my closet and shutting the door as quietly as he could right before my door suddenly opened with my dad holding a very sleepy Gongchan by the collar of his shirt.

“May why are you home when you have school and why is there an unknown boy in this house when you were home alone last night? When your mother and I said to make friends this wasn’t what we were talking about.” My dad instantly said dropping Gongchan at the foot of my bed which woke him up completely and he stared at me with fear in his eyes unsure of what to do.

“Dad I was home alone last night and since I didn’t know where you two were my friends—I mean my friend Gongchan said he was going to stay here until you came home but it was really late when you called so I told him he could sleep on the couch. I didn’t mean to skip school but we were up really late because of that and I guess I overslept through my alarm clock. I’m sorry.” I explained to the best of my abilities making sure to leave out any part of Baro as for him not to get caught because if my dad freaked about a boy on the couch he did not want to know a boy slept with me in my bed!

He seemed to have calmed down from that and almost looked sorry for the way he had acted. “I guess I probably shouldn’t have jumped to conclusions like that. I’m sorry.” My dad then laughed awkwardly and walked over to Gongchan to help him up; Gongchan took his hand and lifted himself up before bowing politely to my dad.

“I’m sorry for causing this amount of problems but I was worried for your daughter and I thought being her best friend that I should accompany her until I knew she was safe. You are a good father to jump to a conclusion like that because I would have too if my daughter had a strange boy in her house. My name is Chanshik Gong; I’m in your daughter’s first period class we sit next to each other.” Gongchan properly introduced himself and even took his hand out to shake my dad’s hand, which my dad did and they seemed to smile at each other.

“You have a fine friend here May. I’m proud that you made the right choice in making him your friend.” My dad replied looking at me before back to Gongchan. “Did you hear that she now has a baby brother? We’re going to the hospital today if you’d like to join us, I’ll call your parents to make sure they know and that you couldn’t make it to school today.” Then they walked out of the room and I finally was able to breathe properly before running to the closet and opening the door.

“So sorry about that.” I laughed nervously before taking Baro’s hand and leading him out of the closet, he seemed a bit frightened from what had just happened but walked out and faced me all the same.

“It’s fine, sorry for causing such a shock by being in your bed.” He chuckled and smiled at me showing off his goofy teeth that reminded me of a squirrel.

“Since my dad is still with Gongchan this is your chance to escape, I’ll check to see if he went into his room to offer Gongchan a change of clothes and if so I can get you out from the back door in the kitchen. Just open the gate and find your way from there, I don’t want you getting caught now.” I explained and he nodded along with my plan without any concerns about what he should do.

“Thank you for covering me.” Baro smiled sweetly before taking me into a surprise hug, hugging me tightly before letting go. I blushed and looked away before he could see it, I had to make sure the coast was clear and I needed a clear mind to do that.

I was as quiet as a mouse as I searched the house trying to find Gongchan and my dad and just like I thought they were in my parents room and I could hear my dad asking Gongchan what he would like to wear since he didn’t have a change of clothes. I went back to my room and grabbed Baro’s hand before leading him down the stairs and to the kitchen, he gave me one last hug and surprised me with a kiss on the cheek before leaving the house and going out of the gate. I watched him all the way up to him leaving the gate before looking around the kitchen one last time and letting out a huge sigh. Crisis diverted!

I went back to my room and quickly got changed into something more comfortable and went downstairs to wait for the boys to get ready. Finally when the door to my parent’s room opened I couldn’t help but smile as Gongchan walked out in a nice looking suit and tie. When Gongchan saw me he instantly blushed in embarrassment and tried not to look me in the eye; I just started to laugh.

“Hey not funny!” Gongchan exclaimed, his blushing growing redder. He walked over to me and sat next to me in the living room. He then told me that my dad still had to get ready and it’ll be a few minutes. It was then that both our stomachs decided to growl and I knew it was time to make some food.

When we got into the kitchen the first thing Gongchan asked, in a whisper, was where was Baro and if he escaped from the house. I nodded in silence and he smiled in relief. Maybe some other time will I ask the two why Baro was sleeping in my bed, but right now I was more happy that he wasn’t caught in the act by my dad.

I made us some simple eggs and toast to have as a late breakfast and by the time we were finished my dad was all prepared and ready to go.

Off to the hospital to see my baby brother! I can’t wait!

When we arrived at the hospital it seemed so weird the last time I went to a hospital was probably back when I was a kid and ever since then I always hated being in them. They served bad food, the walls were always white and they never had any good movies to watch on the TVs. My dad led us down a series of hallways before reaching a room with our last name on it and opened the door. I noticed my mom laying on the bed with a small bundle of blankets in her arms I knew instantly that it had to be my baby brother in her arms and I immediately ran to her side leaving Gongchan in the doorway. He nervously walked in and sat down on one of the chairs in the room.

“Hey little Ashton.” I whispered to the bundle and smiled when there was movement and my mom smiled along with me.

“I’m so sorry we couldn’t get in contact with you until so late.” My mom turned to me but I was too busy looking at the new addition to the family to care about whether it was right or wrong to leave me alone in the house. I had Gongchan and Baro to keep me company anyways. “And who is your friend?”

“Oh!” I snapped out of looking at the bundle to look at Gongchan. “That’s Gongchan.”

“My name is Chanshik Gong, but I do prefer to be called Gongchan.” He bowed politely and remained seated.

“Well I’m glad you’re here to see the baby, do you want to see him up close?” My mom asked and held the baby and turned to me in the bed. I carefully took the bundle of blankets that held my baby brother and smiled sweetly at his sleeping face. I then carefully and slowly walked over to Gongchan and sat beside him.

Gongchan seemed nervous at first but when he saw Ashton he smiled softly and even reached and touched Ashton on the nose. “Hello little guy, I’m Gongchan when you’re older I hope you’re a fan of our music.” He spoke in a sweet caring voice with a really soft tone. I’ve never seen him so sincere before and just smiled at him in awe. “I’ll even give you a free autograph, okay?”

“Promoting your non-existent band already? You’re not even famous yet.” I giggled and he blushed in embarrassment.

“Hey it’s good to start when they’re young.” He joked back and continued to stare at the baby with a warm smile on his lips. When he wasn’t stealing my books and acting all innocent he really was a nice friend to have and I was glad to have met him and his group of friends. For the fact that I’ve never had a real friend before it was nice to know that they weren’t hard to make after all.