A New Friend

Destiny has a weird way of showing itself

I sighed heavily and hit my head slightly on my desk after realizing that my math book was definitely not there and I knew it had to have been Gongchan whom took it. I check my bag twice in the morning to make sure I have everything; maybe instead I need to check my bag every time after first period before Gongchan flees the crime scene.

“Excuse me, if you don’t have your math book we can always share for the day so our teacher doesn’t get mad.” A shy cutesy voice rang in my ears and I looked up and noticed a girl standing beside my desk looking awkward and nervous. She had long blonde hair and really cute green eyes.

“Oh really? You’d do that? Oh thank you.” I replied retrieving my smile and looking up at my savior. A girl, not a boy, but a girl! I can finally be friends with a girl! “I promise I won’t forget it, or rather I won’t get it stolen like this time.” I laughed nervously at my last remark and glared at the wall as if Gongchan were there.

“You’re welcome, hehe who stole your book?” She asked sweetly, grabbing her desk and pushing it against mine to form our desks together. It felt weird talking to a girl and not having her think I’m a freak, but the feeling was nice though.

“Oh, uh Gongchan, I don’t know his last name or rather if that’s his name to begin with.” I giggled while mentioning the thief thinking that I really didn’t know much of their real names. Sandeul I knew before he even told me, but the rest they could have nicknames and I’d never know.

“Oh, Chanshik Gong; though he prefers when people say his last name first.” She replied with a laugh. “Yeah he likes to steal a lot. Oh I haven’t introduced myself yet, silly me. My name is Alice.”

Alice, such a nice name for a nice person; I’m starting to like having friends it makes school so much easier. I remember when I forgot a book at home and I would have no one to help me, but the look of concern on Sandeul’s face when I returned home after forgetting it would always comfort me. He wished so much to give it to me in class but we both knew he couldn’t do it.

“My name is May, I moved here from Florida.” I introduced myself to her and after that class officially started and it was time to focus on math for once.

Throughout the class we would joke with each other silently and giggled softly as to not interrupt the class. When the lecture was over we worked on the assignment together and luckily finished it just in time for the bell to ring.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, bye.” Alice waved her goodbyes and was off walking down the hallway as I decided to go in the opposite direction in hopes of finding one of the members of B1A4 so I could get ahold of Gongchan and get my math book back from him.

I looked around the halls for a good five minutes before giving up and deciding it was time to go home. Since I didn’t have math homework and I didn’t have to worry about it I guess I could always get it back from him tomorrow or steal his to make up for him stealing mine!

And just as I was about to leave the school guess who I saw walking down the street? Gongchan? Nope! Jinyoung!

“Hey Jinyoung!” I called out and ran over to him before he could get any farther. He looked over noticed me and turned in my direction and started walking towards me.

It was then that my heart decided to remember this morning when I held his hand and embarrassed us in front of our entire first period. A blush came to my cheeks and I didn’t have the time to get rid of it before Jinyoung was standing in front of me with his usual polite smile on his lips.

“Hey May, I was just about to head over to meet the rest of my group, want to join us?” He asked, making me stop looking at his wonderful smile to look at his entire face instead. He wants to hang out with me? Well I do need to get my math book from Gongchan and it would be nice to see everyone again.

Oh you’re fooling no one May you like Jinyoung but you just don’t want to say anything! Ugh I never knew liking someone was this much hard work, loving Sandeul was so much easier than this…but then again Sandeul was the figment of my imagination and loved me because I loved him.

“Uh-sure!” I responded after realizing that he was waiting for a response from me. His smile remained on his lips as he nodded in a happier sense and turned around to go back to where he was heading before.

“Follow me—that is if I don’t get lost this time.” He chuckled at that last part but continued to walk with confidence to where he was going to meet up with the rest of the group. In the meantime he told me a few things about the people of the band and about himself that he was willing to share. Things like how they call him grandpa because he always gets lost, Sandeul a duck, Baro a squirrel, Gongchan a dinosaur, and CNU a bear. There was a story behind each one, usually a pretty funny story at that. He also told me about how they’ve been friends since they were really young and all grew up on the country sides of South Korea and not the main areas like Seoul.  He also had a few Korean songs on his iPod and decided to share a few songs that he liked from different bands.

And I gotta say Korean music sounded really pretty and adoring! I can now fully see why they’d want to debut there as Korean singers then here as American singers. The music was always really pretty sounding and the voices were always really amazing and sounded so talented. Jinyoung also bragged about how he knew how to compose music and wrote the songs for their band. He mentioned that he should show me his song ‘Bling Girl’ that he made all on his own. He seemed so proud which only made me smile and allow him to continue talking.

By the time we reached where we were going, getting lost a few times on the way, he realized that he was talking the whole way and gave me no time to talk whatsoever. I, of course, didn’t mind and was happy to have learned so much more about my new friends and told him not to worry about it. He mentioned then that next time we’d have to talk more about me, I was happy to have him say ‘next time’ but the whole wanting to know more about me was not a good thing. There wasn’t much to say about my life before moving here besides Sandeul and I vowed to never speak of him around B1A4 or anyone here for that matter.

The second we met up with the rest of the group Gongchan instantly hid behind Sandeul after noticing that I was with Jinyoung. Sandeul laughed at Gongchan and moved out of the way when I walked over to the two. Gongchan then pretended like nothing was wrong and smiled sweetly at me.

“Hey May.” He greeted with that same smile, not even mentioning that he stole my math book, but then again that did cause me to become friends with Alice, so Gongchan isn’t entirely evil.

“Thank you for stealing my Math book—Channie, but I’d like to have it back.” I returned his sweet smile with my own and hoped the nickname that I had heard from Jinyoung would throw him off guard.

Which it did. “Jinyoung! Only members of our group can be calling me Channie.” He whined and ran over to Jinyoung avoiding me and leaving me alone with Sandeul.

“I’ll make sure to give you back your math book, I’m pretty sure it’s still in his book bag.” Sandeul chuckled and motioned for me to sit down at the table that the rest of the members were sitting at. From the looks of the place I walked into it was a karaoke bar and it was a room all to themselves, probably a place where they practice their singing when they have free time. Must be nice to be a singer, or wanting to be one.

“Thanks Deullie.” That wasn’t a nickname Jinyoung had said anything about, but from the look on Sandeul’s face I could tell the other members call him that too. Hey it wasn’t my fault that I already had nicknames for him because of my amazing imaginary friend that is not the person sitting next to me at a karaoke table.

He laughed nervously and scratched the back of his head, from the looks of his face he looked like he was blushing but I really couldn’t tell so I was not going to question him about it. I looked over and noticed Jinyoung working with the sound system and hooking it up to his iPod, probably so they could sing to their own songs as well as other Korean songs instead of the American ones they had as choices on the TV.

Gongchan was nowhere in sight so I made sure to keep an eye on my backpack to make sure it didn’t up and get stolen by that boy who just loved to steal.

“Having fun yet?” Baro asked me sarcastically and sat up to sit next to me on, the side Sandeul wasn’t sitting on.

“Oh yeah tons of fun.” I replied in the same sarcastic tone trying to match his, but failing because I was attempting to mimic his voice as well, which did not turn out well and he just laughed at my attempts. He then placed his arm around my shoulder and made me lean into him.

“You’re a pretty cool girl you know that? Good thing we’re friends. Can’t wait for you to hear me rap, it is going to blow your mind.” He gloated and kept me leaning on him which was slightly uncomfortable and I did not know what to do. I felt that if I struggled to get out it would hurt his feelings, but if I stayed there any longer I don’t think I could cope the with awkward feeling I had right now.

And luckily my savior saved the day! I was suddenly pulled away from Baro, but then my savior, instead of saving me like I thought, decided he wanted to put his arm around me instead and made me lean up against him. The feeling was less awkward and actually felt really comfortable, but then again it was probably because he even felt like my amazing Sandeul. If I just closed my eyes I probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

“Wait until you hear my main singing, Baro’s rap has nothing against the epic-ness of my voice.” Sandeul bragged causing me to remember that this was not my Sandeul but the real Sandeul which made me pull out of his grasp and sit up straight with a huge blush on my cheeks.

He felt so comfortable and welcoming like I could just be like that forever without a single complaint in the world. I thought I liked Jinyoung; there was no way I could fall for this Sandeul when I already loved my other one so much in the past!

But maybe destiny was weird like that.