Because of a Dollar

The Ship of Mysteries

“Holy……”

            I smacked Doojoon’s arm. “Stop looking!”

            “B-But there’s so many, it’s like…o-oh my god am I in heaven?”

            I rolled my eyes. After lunch Doojoon and I headed back to the dorm to get changed and to check out the pool on the deck. Once there, we came to realize that 95% of the girls were wearing bikinis. Doojoon was in heaven. Oh, this brother of mine.

            “Hey ______, have fun, okay?” Without another word Doojoon headed out to where a bunch of American girls were.

            “Boys these days,” I said to myself as I sat down on a chaise.

            “Ice cream! Anybody wants some ice cream?” a man yelled as he pushed a cart of ice cream across the deck.

            I felt myself make a move for it but held back, not sure if I should eat it or not because of my diet. But in the end I decided to buy some anyways. It’s been a while since I had some.

            I put my sunglasses on top of my head and walked over to the ice cream cart. Once I was there, I was surprised to find earring boy from the restaurant talking to the ice cream man.

            “I can’t get anything for 50 cents?” He asked.

            The ice cream man shook his head. “Nope, sorry. Everything’s a buck up.”

            “Aw man,” earring boy said. “But it’s really hot and I’m dying of thirst.”

            The ice cream man shrugged. “Sorry man.”

            “Here, I’ll pay for you,” I said, suddenly stepping into the conversation. “How much do you need?”

            Earring boy gawked at me. “Um, it’s okay. You don’t need to pay.”

            “No, I want to.” I slapped a buck into his hand. “Here” Then I turned to the ice cream man. “One big dipper please.”

            “Coming right up.” The ice cream man gave me my ice cream and I paid. Without taking another look at earring boy, I headed back to where I was.

            About 3 seconds later I heard someone running up to me. “Yah, I don’t need this. You can have it back,” earring boy said.

            “It’s just a dollar. And you said that you were dying of thirst, so you can have it.”

            Earring boy put his hands on his hips. “You don’t pity me or anything, right?”

            I stared at him. “It’s just a dollar. Why would I pity you? I was just being nice.”

            Earring boy stared at me, and I found his eye contact to be very hypnotizing.

            “Fine. I’ll accept it. But what’s your name?”

            “Yoon ______. And yours?”

            “Yong Junhyung. How long are you staying on this cruise?”

            “2 weeks. After it stops at the Bahamas my family and I will be taking a plane back to Korea,” I replied.

            “Hm. Same here. Guess we’ll be seeing a lot of each other then.”

            I grinned. “Yeah. I guess we will.”