Caught on Camera

The Ship of Mysteries

All hell broke loose when the second murder was committed. What was supposed to be a relaxing cruise turned into the race for one’s life as everyone tried to protect themselves as much as possible. Most people spent all of their fun in the day so they could rest early at night, when the murderer would strike. But I don’t think many people realized that the murders were only pointed to specific, particular people. It obviously wasn’t just any ordinary serial killer out on the loose. The guy had much deeper intentions than that.

            The next day, nothing happened. Seemed like the killer was taking a break for the day.

            The following afternoon everyone headed out to the pool. I was finally confident enough to wear my bikini. I applied on some tanning lotion and put on my sunglasses as I laid back in my chaise and relaxed.

            “Is this beautiful girl really who I think it is?”

            I opened my eyes and peered over next to me. Junhyung was sitting there, shirtless. He looked over at me. “What? Surprised to see me?”

            I made a face. “Kinda. Where have you been? I haven’t seen you since murder #1.”

            Then it occurred to me that the first murder only occurred 3 days ago. I hadn’t seen him for 2 days and I’m already implying that I’d missed him? How much more stupid could I get?

            “I just had some stuff to do…that’s all,” Junhyung said, not meeting my eyes.

           “Oh. Well, did you hear about murder #2? Everyone on the ship is going crazy about it,” I said.

            Junhyung nodded. “Yeah, I heard.”

            “Wonder what’s going to happen next.”

            “Hmm…” Junhyung turned back to me. “Let’s not talk about that, okay? Let’s go in the pool and have fun!”

            He grabbed my hand and jerked me forward but I pulled back.

            “I’m tanning. If I go in the pool the tanning lotion will rub off,” I stated.

            “So? Who cares! Let’s go!” Junhyung pulled me again but I didn’t budge. He rolled his eyes. “You’re seriously going to be like this? Fine then.”

            Suddenly Junhyung lifted me up and carried me over to the pool.

            “YAH! Put me down!”

            Junhyung laughed. “Make me.”

            I glared at him and started tickling him.

            “Not going to work I’m not ticklish. Oh, look! We’re here, at the pool.” Junhyung inched closer to the pool.

            “D-Don’t you dare,” I stammered.

            But with a little snicker Junhyung tossed me into the pool. I landed with a splash and began to tread water.

            “YAH! I TOLD YOU NOT TO!”

            Junhyung shrugged. “Really? I didn’t hear.”

            I glared at him and grabbed his leg, sending him into the pool as well. He surfaced and gave me a death look.

            “YAH!” he cried. “I’m gonna get you!”

            “Come and get me.” I started swimming away from him and he took off after me. I was surprised to find out that he was a pretty fast swimmer.

            “Y-Yah, slow down!” I said, swimming faster.

            “Nawww.” Junhyung swam faster and wrapped his arms around my waist from behind. “Gotcha!”

            “Ah!” I screamed. “Let go!”

            But that just made him hold onto me tighter while I tried to wrestle his arms off of my waist. Then I spotted Doojoon walking by and laughing with a couple of American girls.

            “YAH! Doojoon! Help me!” I cried.

            Doojoon stopped and peered at me, then smiled. “Good job Junhyung! You know she likes it!”

            .

            Junhyung laughed and released his hold off of me. “You’re so cute.”

            I stood on the pool floor. “And you are very kawaii yourself,” I mumbled.

            I was still trying to hide the fact that I actually really liked the feeling of his arms around my waist.

            “So ______,” Junhyung started, “what are you doing tonight?”

            I thought about it. “I don’t know yet, why?”

            “Let me take you out to dinner,” Junhyung said.

            I raised a brow. “Are you asking me out?”

            Junhyung rolled his eyes. He knew that I was asking an obvious question. “Maybe. Yes.”

            I smiled. “Okay then. See you tonight.”


 

            “Wow…you look really pretty.”

            “You look pretty handsome yourself.”

            Junhyung grinned and the both of us headed out to a restaurant on the ship called “Éclair”.

            “How fancy,” I commented.

            “I have my standards,” Junhyung replied.

            “You know, you’re not as obnoxious as I thought you were,” I said.

            Junhyung kept his eyes on the menu. “Haven’t you heard that when guys are mean to girls it’s only because they like them?”

            I blinked, feeling my heart race faster at his words.

            But before he could say anything else the police suddenly made their appearance at the entrance of the restaurant. My dad was with them.

            They approached Junhyung and me, and my dad raised a brow. “______, you know this boy?”

            I nodded. “Yes, ever since the first day of the cruise.”

            My dad observed Junhyung and glanced at a piece of paper in his hand. “That’s him alright,” he mumbled.

            “Is something wrong?” I asked.

            My dad sighed. “Just this morning someone turned in a video that they’d recorded during the murder at the auditorium. The angle wasn’t too great, and the person who’d released the corpse onto the stage had a very vague face to him…but we saw enough to get a picture of who it was.”

            He looked up. “The guy looked exactly like you, Yong Junhyung.”

            My eyes widened. “Are you sure?”

            “Take a look for yourself.”

            My dad handed me the piece of paper he was holding, which was a screen shot of the video that he’d mentioned. The person who’d released the corpse onto the stage could be seen up on the railings of the upper part of the stage. He was dressed all in black and was wearing a cap over his head. But his nose, lips, and jaw line could be seen. I glanced at Junhyung and then back to the picture. I couldn’t believe it.

            “The picture doesn’t lie,” my dad remarked.

            I gave the picture back to my dad with a trembling hand. “T-That’s impossible. He couldn’t have done it.”

            “Of course, we’re not saying that he was the person who’d committed the past 2 murders. But since he’s been identified as the person who’d released the corpse, he definitely has something to do with it. We’re going to need to take you into questioning, Junhyung-shii,” my dad said.

            “But wait, how can this…I had nothing to do with this murder!” Junhyung exclaimed. “That’s not me! Maybe it’s just someone who has the same lower profile as me.”

            “If what you say is true, then what were you doing yesterday at 7pm?” my dad questioned.

            “I was sleeping in my room,” Junhyung replied.

            “Do you have a witness?”

            “N-No, but—

            “Then you don’t have a valid alibi,” my dad finished.

            “B-But…” Junhyung had nothing else to back him up, and seeing his puzzled, confused face made me really scared.

            “Junhyung please don’t tell me that you’re…” I couldn’t even finish.

            “You’re going to have to come with us then.” My dad left the restaurant and the other policeman led Junhyung out behind him. He looked back at me and we stared at each other whole time until he was out of sight.