Boyfriend Material

The Ship of Mysteries

“Isn’t that, like, the same salad that you ordered yesterday?” Doojoon asked.

            I glared at him. “Yes. So what’s your point?”

            Doojoon snickered. He and Junhyung were sitting next to each other while I was sitting across from them.

            “You’re just basically eating lettuce and a tomato. What’s that going to do for you?” Doojoon asked, still not getting my logic.

            “It’ll help me get the S line that I want this summer,” I replied confidently.

            “Or maybe you want it only to impress Junhyung,” Doojoon giggled.

            “Yah! Why do you keep bringing him up?!” I said, turning slightly pink as Doojoon snickered to the side.

            “Why do you get so worked up?” Junhyung asked. “For all I know, you’re deliberately setting your oppa up so he can bring up my name for you.”

            “Wow, how much more conceited can you get?” I asked.

            “I’m not conceited,” Junhyung merely stated. “I’m just speaking the truth.”

            I rolled my eyes.

            “Don’t act like you don’t like it,” Junhyung teased with another smirk.

            “Sure, keep thinking that I like you. You’ll be disappointed when you find out that I don’t,” I replied.

            “Whoa now look who’s the conceited one now?”

            I glared at him. “I’m just speaking the truth,” I mocked.

            Junhyung smiled. “Cute.”

            I leaned back in my chair and shrugged. “I try.”

            The 3 of us finished lunch with some playful conversation and headed out to play on the mini golf course.

            “Dude when are you going to stop freeloading off of us?” I said to Junhyung.

            He picked up his golfing club and said, “Don’t hide it; you obviously wanted me to stay.”

            “Or maybe you just stayed because of me,” I teased.

            Junhyung looked like he was taken off guard. “Y-Yah! Why would I want to be with you? I don’t even like you.”

            “I never said you did.”

            Junhyung blinked and I laughed. “Caught red handed!”

            “Shut up,” Junhyung murmured.

            “Awww lover’s bickering,” Doojoon cooed.

            The both of us glared at him and said, “Shut up!”

            The mini golf game started. I got an eagle and said, “Wooo!”

            “Beginner’s luck,” Junhyung murmured.

            “Or maybe you’re just jealous.” I was walking up to him when I tripped on my golf club. I would’ve fallen smack onto the ground, if it weren’t for a pair of strong arms swiftly grabbing my waist. I opened my eyes to find Junhyung’s face about an inch away from mine. I felt my heart skip a beat as I looked into his beautiful eyes. God, he was really handsome…too handsome to resist…

            Suddenly his phone rang.

            The both of were snapped back into reality and Junhyung released his hold on me as he took his phone out from his pocket. “Hello?” he said. “Why do you want to see me? What, are you just going to use me again? Fine. I’ll be right there.” After hanging up, he turned to me and said, “Sorry to disappoint, but I’m gonna have to leave. Don’t miss me too much, kay?”

            “Don’t worry. Cause, you know, I won’t be missing you at all,” I replied, still recovering from his hypnotic stare.

            Junhyung grinned. “You’re getting good at this.”

            After Doojoon and I finished playing a game of mini golf, the both of us headed back to the cabin room to rest before going out to eat dinner tonight.

            “Junhyung left his hat,” Doojoon said. “You should give it back to him.”

            “But I don’t know where he is.”

            “Give it back to him after we finish dinner. He’ll be happy to see you anyways.” Doojoon winked.

            “Again with the teasing,” I murmured.

            “What? He seems like a good guy. Yoon Doojoon approved! And plus, you haven’t dated anyone since your breakup with Yoseob,” Doojoon said.

            “He and I are still friends,” I replied.

            “Yeah. Awkward friends. If 2 lovers can become friends at the end of a breakup, it means that they were never in love with each other to begin with. Plus,” Doojoon came closer and whispered, “I catch Junhyung staring at you.”

            I blushed. “Yah!” I smacked Doojoon’s head. “Stop telling me lies!”

            Doojoon rubbed his head. “They’re not lies! I saw him staring at you, honest!”

            I sighed. “As much as I’d like to believe that I could have a chance with a handsome, good looking man like him, I seriously doubt it.”

            Doojoon shrugged. “I don’t know _______. Stranger things have happened.”