Murder #2

The Ship of Mysteries

After the rush, the 3 of us could barely sleep. So we decided to eat an early breakfast. Many others couldn’t sleep either. Half of the ship was already awake.

            After breakfast Junhyung left to go somewhere and I didn’t see him the whole afternoon. Doojoon and I hung out with our parents until night time, where we attended a music show. The show also included a formal dinner. I dressed up in my best dress and did my makeup and hair. Doojoon wore a suit and tie.

            “Junhyung would be pleased,” Doojoon remarked as I fixed my hair.

            I smiled bitterly. “I haven’t seen him all day. Have you?”

            Doojoon shook his head. “Nope. It’s weird. He’s been with us since the cruise started. It feels weird when he’s gone. Speaking of Junhyung, did you see his reaction to the murder this morning?”

            I nodded. “I did. It scared me, kind of.”

            “Like he’d had something to do with the murder?”

            “Yeah…something like that.”

            “Yah,” Doojoon nudged me. “We’re one year apart, practically twins. I know what you’re thinking. Honestly, the murdered man most likely was known by Junhyung. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have reacted that way. We just have to see what will happen next, I guess. He really is a strange, mysterious character.”

            I nodded again. “During breakfast he didn’t say a word.”

            “Hm…”

            “Doojoon, _______, let’s go!” my parents called.

            “Coming!” Doojoon and I finished getting ready and hurried over to our parents.

            Once seated down at the complimentary dinner tables, food was beginning to be served before the performance started.

            “Oooo steak!” Doojoon said hungrily, rubbing his hands together in anticipation.

            “, there’s no salad!” I exclaimed.

            “Just shut up about the salad for once!” Doojoon said. “Here, eat the steak. It’s freaking awesome.”

            “No.”

            “Yoon ______.”

            “I said no!”

            “Eat it!”

            The light started to dim, signaling that the show was about to start. Doojoon and I settled down as we prepared to watch the show. The orchestra started playing and everyone’s attention was transfixed onto the stage.

            Suddenly, I spotted a figure up on the railings above the stage. At first I figured that it was one of those people lowering the harnesses for the performers, or the man in charge of lights or something. But as I paid more attention to the ominous figure, I came to realize that he was cutting something. Then my eyes went to the actress on stage and my eyes widened.

            I got up from my seat and dashed over to the stage.

            “______! Where are you going?!” Doojoon looked up to where I’d just been looking and realization struck him.

            “Oh !”

            Doojoon and I raced over to the stage and jumped onto it.

            “WATCH OUT!”

            I pushed the lead actress out of the way before something smashed onto the stage in her place, causing various gasps to arise throughout the auditorium.

            I opened my eyes and looked over as to what was going to hit her.

            It was a dead body.

            “Oh my god,” I heard the actress say next to me.

            I knew something like this was bound to happen. Doojoon and I went over to the corpse and examined it. He looked like he was in his mid-40’s, and was a tall, broad shouldered man. He looked like he’d been strangled to death before being tied up like that. Then, I saw something peek out of the back of his shirt. I looked at his neck and to my surprise, saw a skull tattoo; the same tattoo that Junhyung’s uncle possessed.

            A shiver trickled down my spine as I realized this.

            “That’s weird…,” Doojoon remarked. “That tattoo…again …”

            “MOVE IT KIDS!” The police came and said, “You’re disrupting the crime scene!”

            “But wait,” I said. “We know something about this man.”

            One of the officers raised a brow. “Really.”

            Doojoon nodded. “It’s a small piece of information, but it could possibly help.”

            My dad coolly walked over with his hands in his pockets and said, “What’s going on officers?”

            “Oh! Detective Yoon!” they bowed.

            My dad walked over to Doojoon and me. “Nice job kids.”

            We nodded. “Thanks dad.”

            The officer’s eyes widened. “T-They’re your kids?”

            My dad looked at him. “Yes, yes they are.”

            The officers looked away, embarrassed.

            Ignoring this, I attempted to proceed with the case but Doojoon held me back.

            “Wait until they’ve gathered some information about him ______. Most likely…we’re dealing with the same person who’d killed the other man just the night before. And the problem is, we don’t know if he’s going to strike again or not. We don’t even know why he’s been doing this. For all we know…” And another shiver went down my spine as he said this, “…it could be one of us next time.”