Murder #1

The Ship of Mysteries

At about 4am, I was awakened by the sound of a terrifying scream.

            “What was that?” Doojoon asked quietly.

            Seeing as how our parents were still asleep, the 2 of us decided to sneak out and see what was going on.

            I slipped on my tennis shoes and tied up my hair. Doojoon opened the door and we stepped out, to find that Junhyung was stepping out of his room at the same time.

            “You guys heard it too?” he asked.

            Doojoon and I nodded. The 3 of us made our way out to the main lobby, where a couple of other people were awakened as well.

            “Someone was killed?”

            “Just now?”

            “Yeah, that’s what I heard!”

            The 3 of us looked at each other, wondering what this could mean.

            Then we saw security running across the lobby, talking into their radios.

            “C’mon, let’s follow them,” Doojoon said.

            We ran after the security guards and followed them down to the lower decks. Just down the hall a woman was pressed up against the wall in fear, a hand to as tears ran down her face. Her other trembling hand was clutching a phone to her chest.

            “Where is he?” one of the security guard asked roughly.

            She pointed with a shivering finger towards the janitor’s closet across from her. “T-There.”

            Doojoon, Junhyung, and I immediately peeked into the janitor’s closet, to find a dead man stabbed at his chest, blood spilling everywhere. The man was covered in blood, his face unrecognizable. He was wearing a dirty oversized T-shirt and sweats with wet running shoes. His limp hands were on the knife, pointed straight down into his chest.

            I noticed a flash of recognition across Junhyung’s eyes. Doojoon noticed it, too.

            “Kids, what are you doing here?” A security guard roared at us.

            Doojoon and I quailed back. “S-Sorry.”

            “Get out! You’re disturbing a crime scene!”

            The 3 of us scurried away but I couldn’t get that image of Junhyung’s face out of my mind. Had he known the murdered man?

            Was it the man whom he’d tracked down for his uncle?

            Adding all these things up in my head, I realized that Junhyung’s uncle would be the most suspicious, considering he’d said that he’d, “take care of it himself” back at that lunch day at the beginning of the cruise. But only Doojoon and I had heard that. It’d be pointless to even point it out because of how little it’d work to prove him guilty.

            I really wanted to ask Junhyung about him. But for some reason I felt like I shouldn’t. Because I had a gut feeling that this wouldn’t be the last murder on this ship.