I Believe in You

The Ship of Mysteries

I didn’t see Junhyung all night. I didn’t see him the next day either.

            “Things don’t look too good,” Doojoon remarked at dinner.

            “Don’t rub it in,” I snapped. “I don’t even know where he is.”

            “He probably thinks that we think that he’s a criminal,” Doojoon said.

            “But I don’t think he’s a criminal,” I said quietly. “If anything, I don’t even think he had anything to do with the murders.”

            “What are you talking about? He was caught on camera, who else could it have been? He’s done for,” Doojoon replied.

          I shrugged. “Someone could’ve disguised as him. His face was only shown from the nose down.”

            “Yeah, but why Junhyung? Why would the murderer choose to disguise as Junhyung then?” Doojoon asked.

            I had a light bulb moment.

            “Junhyung’s uncle,” I answered. “That’s it, Doojoon! It has to be!”

            “Him again?” Doojoon asked. “But then again, you have a point.”

            “I want to question him,” I suddenly said. “We need to find him on this ship.”

            After dinner Doojoon and I went to the information desk to ask if Junhyung’s creepy uncle has been around.

            “You guys haven’t seen today’s issue of the ‘Titan Times’?” the person asked.

            Doojoon and I shook our heads.

            “Well, it’s the ship’s daily paper.” She handed us a copy. “He’s been reported missing since yesterday.”

            Our eyes widened. “R-Really?”

            She nodded. “No one knows where he is.”

            “How fishy…,” Doojoon mumbled.

            The 2 of us headed back to our room.

            “No doubt, it’s been him committing all of these murders. He probably disguised as Junhyung and framed him for being involved with his crimes,” I said.

            “If that’s so, how are we going to prove it? He’s missing. No one’s seen him for days. For all we know, he probably abandoned the ship,” Doojoon replied.

            I shook my head. “Why would he frame Junhyung and then abandon the ship? He’s probably hiding, waiting to see the helpless look on Junhyung’s face.”

            Doojoon sighed. “Well we can’t do anything right now. We don’t even know where he is. If he is the culprit, we have no way of proving it. Junhyung’s the guilty one right now, and he probably doesn’t even know .”

            “Yeah…” I got up. “I’m gonna go take a walk.”

            “Kay, have fun.”

            I walked out to the upper deck and looked at the night sky. It was a beautiful night. Too bad the mood was ruined at all the murders being committed.

            Suddenly I saw a familiar figure over by the rails of the ship. It was Junhyung. He had his arms resting on the rails and he looked like he was thinking.

            “Hey,” I said.

            He glanced at me. “Hey, ______.”

            The 2 of us stood there for a while, just looking at the ocean in silence.

            Then Junhyung softly said, “They don’t believe me.”

            I bit my lip. “They don’t?”

            He shook his head. “Nope. No matter what I said, all they did was counter what I said with the photo. Not even my own parents believe that I had nothing to do with it.” He sighed. “They only suspected me of being involved with the murder crimes. But suddenly it turned into them suspecting me of being the culprit of all two murders.”

            “If it makes you feel better…” I looked at him. “I believe in you.”

            Junhyung stared at me and said, “Why should this make me feel better?”

            I suddenly felt embarrassed. “I-I mean…I…”

            Junhyung chuckled. “But strangely, it does make me feel better when I know that at least one person has faith in me. Thanks, _____.”

            I smiled. “You’re welcome.”