On a Sinking Ship

The Ship of Mysteries

Junhyung and I ran everywhere around the ship. When coming across officers we immediately hid, not wanting our search to conclude. Water was filling up to our ankles by now and was rising by the second. We didn’t have much time.

            “Where could he be?” Junhyung asked.

            “Maybe he fled the ship already,” I suggested. “Maybe we’re running around in circles for nothing.”

            Junhyung shook his head, looking around. “No. He’s still here. I can feel it.”

            It was dead silent for a while, with the water rising and the both of us peering around.

            Suddenly a bullet blew right past my nose and a gunshot filled the silent air.

            “IT’S HIM!”

            Carm was at the end of the hall, shooting bullets at us as Junhyung and I tried to dodge them.

            “Just try your best to dodge them,” Junhyung yelled over to me, grabbing my hand as the both of us ran down the hall. “He’s going to run out of bullets, eventually.”

            At that moment a bullet lightly grazed Junhyung’s arm.

            “Junhyung are you okay?” I asked.

            We heard Carm run the opposite way.

            Junhyung, forgetting about his injury, grabbed my hand and dashed towards the direction that Carm had gone.

            “He’s out of bullets. We can catch him now. Hurry!”

            I ran as quick as I could alongside Junhyung, our hands still bound.

            Along the hall was a dead end. Carmeliano, was trapped.

            “,” he murmured to himself, realizing his fault.

            Junhyung lunged towards him and the two fought it out as the water level kept rising.

            I got out of their way and looked around, trying to find something to knock Carm out with. Suddenly I spotted the lamps that hung on the wall. While Carm was distracted with Junhyung I used all my might to pry the lamp off of the wall. Then, using all the strength I had left, I smashed the lamp onto the back of Carm’s head. He staggered onto the ground, unconscious.

            Junhyung and I stood there, panting as the both of us caught our breaths.

            “We…did it…” I said.

            “What are you talking about?” Junhyung smiled at me. “You did it.”

            I smiled at him back, feeling pretty proud myself.

            The happy moment was ruined as a sudden rush of water came in, the water level now up to our waists.

            “, time’s running out. C’mon, let’s bring him up,” Junhyung said.

            He and I dragged Carm’s unconscious body with us through the water. It was hard, considering how heavy he was and how tired we were. Blood was on my neck and on Junhyung’s arm. The both of us didn’t feel pain, though. We had other things to worry about. Also, we were pretty far down below the ship. A part of me wondered if we were going to make it out at all.

            Junhyung and I reached the lobby, the water level almost up to our necks. We struggled to even keep Carm’s head above the surface. We made it out onto the decks and I breathed a sigh of relief. The ship was tilted, and I searched around for a lifeboat. I saw the lifeboats already out in the waters, sailing away. I wondered where Doojoon and my parents were and hoped they were okay.

            “_______.”

            Junhyung nodded over to a lifeboat.

            The both of us staggered over to it and the ship suddenly started to crack. I lost my balance and almost slid down the deck, if it weren’t for Junhyung holding onto my hand. He held onto the railing and he and I, along with Carm’s unconscious body, all made it onto the lifeboat. Junhyung lowered us down and the boat landed onto the cold pacific waters. I heard the ship crack and the waves almost knocked the boat over. Junhyung the engine of the lifeboat – which was basically a speedboat – and the 3 of us sped away from the sinking ship. I looked back at it The Titan, a familiar scene playing in my head. The ship slowly cracked into two and disappeared beneath the ocean. It was like watching a movie.

            “This feels like a movie,” Junhyung said softly, as if reading my mind.

            “Mm…I’m thankful that we made it out in time.”

            “And got into a safe lifeboat before the ship cracked,” Junhyung added. “Otherwise, we would’ve been done for.”

            “You’re the one who saved me, Junhyung,” I said, smiling at him.

            Junhyung smiled back. “You saved me first, ______. It’s even.”

            He put the speedboat on autopilot and it followed the rest of the boats, with the officers close behind us.

            “You guys the three missing passengers?” an officer asked.

            Junhyung and I nodded.

            “Thank god. We were scared that we’d have to report 3 missing deaths,” the officer said.

            “Um by any chance, do you know which lifeboat Detective Yoon is on?” I asked.

            The officer nodded ahead. “I don’t know exactly which one but they were one of the first to leave. You can’t see him right now, though.”

            “Oh, okay. Where are we going?” I asked.

            “A small island that’s part of the Bahamas. It takes about 2 hours to get there by these speedboats. We’ll let you know about further details from there,” the officer said.

            “Thanks,” Junhyung said.

            “No problem. You guys should rest. Autopilot’s doing its job,” the officer said, speeding away on his own speedboat.

            Junhyung and I looked at each other, then down at Carm’s body.

            “Do you think he’ll wake up?” I asked quietly.

            “Possibly…most likely…” Junhyung laid down in the boat and patted the space next to him. “But if he does, I’ll protect you.”

            “Are you sure about that?”

            “What? Don’t trust me?”

            “It’s not that…I just have a feeling that this is not the end of things,” I replied quietly.

            Junhyung sat up and said, “I know, _______. Honestly…it’s too good to be true for things to end this way. But we got past the first round with Carm. Second round should be a win too, right?”

            I bit my lip. “I guess so.”

            Junhyung laid back down and patted the space next to him again. “Now come here babe.”

            I giggled. “Ew no, go away.”

            “Woowww I am hurt by your harsh rejection towards my generosity,” Junhyung said.

            I laughed. “Deal with it~”

            Junhyung closed his eyes and I sat down next to him, admiring his face. I made sure that he was asleep before lying down next to him. He suddenly smirked.

            “I knew it,” he mumbled, his eyes still closed. “Couldn’t resist me.”

            “Yah!” I made a move to sit up again but Junhyung held me back down, slipping his arm around my waist as he pulled me closer to him.

            “Go to sleep…,” Junhyung murmured.

            I turned around and faced him, our noses just barely touching.

            “Junhyung?” I said softly.

            He slowly opened his eyes and said, “Yes?”

            “Isn’t this funny? We’re spending our first night together on a speedboat,” I said.

            Junhyung grinned, his lips curving upward. “That is kind of strange. But maybe…that’s how things were meant to be between us. Like fate.”

            “Haha more like star crossed. If I hadn’t lent you a dollar on that first day this cruise would’ve been a much more peaceful experience,” I said.

            “And do like peaceful? You don’t like exciting?”

            I shook my head. “No. I love exciting. I love adventure. I’m saying that I’m glad that I lent you that dollar, Junhyung.” I smiled.

            “I’m glad that I met you at all, _______. And to think I never knew that we went to the same school,” Junhyung said.

            “Like you said, things were destined to happen this way,” I replied. “Now go to sleep. I’m tired.”

            “Hey I should be the one saying that!” Junhyung said. “But give me a kiss first.”

            “No.”

            “Babe.”

            I shook my head, turning over so that my back faced him.

            “Babe give me a kiss please~”

            “Nope.”

            “_______, please?”

            I turned around and kissed his cheek. “There. You happy?”

            Junhyung shook his head. “No I wanted one on the lips.”

            I rolled my eyes and gave him a quick kiss on the lips. “Happy now?”

            “No ______ that was too short.”

            “Shut up Yong Junhyung and go to sleep. I already gave you your kisses,” I said, turning my back to him again.

            “Fine…,” Junhyung mumbled.

            He wrapped his arm around my waist again and pulled me closer to his chest. I could feel his heartbeat on my back and tried very hard not to let him hear how fast and loud my heart was pounding at his touch.

            “Goodnight, _______,” Junhyung softly whispered.

            I closed my eyes, secretly smiling to myself. “Goodnight, Junhyung oppa.”