A Strange Lunch Indeed

The Ship of Mysteries

It was a sunny day when we boarded “The Titan”. I was really tempted to add the “ic” to the end of it sometimes.

            “Sounds exotic,” Doojoon remarked. “Can’t wait till we get to the Bahamas. Then the real party will start.”

            “No kidding,” I said.

            Doojoon was reading a text on his phone and said, “Mom and dad are already in the room. We should go check it out.”

            I nodded. “Mkays.”

           The two of us headed over to the cabin rooms. It was an average room, with 2 sets of bunk beds, an ocean view, a small desk, and a bathroom.

            “I call top bunk!” I cried.

            Doojoon made a grab for it. “No! It’s mine!”

            “Doojoon-ah, ladies first,” mom snapped, clucking her tongue in disagreement.

            Doojoon sighed dramatically. “Fine.”

            “YES!” I cheered, already setting my stuffed animal onto the bunk.

            “Don’t get too excited,” Doojoon mumbled, settling himself onto the bottom bunk.

            “You 2 should go take a look around. Maybe eat some lunch while your mom and I get settled,” my dad suggested.

            “Great! I’m starving,” Doojoon said, already heading to the door.

            “Yah! Wait for me!”


            “You eat a lot.”

            “It’s food. I’m a guy. Do the math.”

            I glared at Doojoon and picked at my salad.

            “Yah, shouldn’t you be eating some meat or something? You’ve been eating salads for 2 weeks straight,” Doojoon remarked.

            “I want to get in shape this summer, if you haven’t noticed.”

            “Eating salads all day won’t make you lose weight, Einstein,” Doojoon retorted.

            “Yah, I-

            Doojoon was suddenly interested in something behind me. “What’s going on there?”

            I turned around to the table behind us and saw a boy about our age arguing with someone across from him. He had black hair and a big flashy earring on. He was also very, very good looking.

            “Yah! ______ stop checking him out!” Doojoon hissed.

            I glared at him. “I AM NOT checking him out!”

Anyways, the guy he was arguing with was a middle aged man, probably in his 50s or something. I couldn’t see his face though, since his back was to me, but I did notice a skull tattoo on the back of his neck.

            “But you can’t do this to me! I did everything for you!” Earring guy was saying.

            “Keep it down. People are starting to stare.”

            “Does it look like I care? I followed your every single order; I was the one who told you that he was on this ship, and now you’re firing me?!” earring boy said.

            “You did your job. Your assistance is no longer needed. Now that you’ve finally tracked him down, I can take care of him myself. You’re done,” tattoo guy said.

            Earring boy threw his napkin onto the table and stormed out of the restaurant, mumbling something incoherent as he did. Meanwhile, tattoo guy paid the bill and left in the opposite direction. He briefly passed our table and made eye contact with both me and Doojoon. What caught me off guard were his eyes. One was blue, the other was green; and as they pierced deep down into mine, I felt like they were telling me to shut up and keep quiet about what we’d just heard. When he left I glanced over at Doojoon, who had the same reaction as me.

            “Whoa, that was intense,” Doojoon remarked.

            I stared at tattoo guy as he left the restaurant. “No kidding.”