The Beginning

It started with...A Lie {completed}

“Chelsea. Chelsea Tan.” A voice screamed.
“Huh? Uh? What?” I struggled to open my heavy eyelids as my best friend, Herena shook me awake.
“Chelsea Tan Xin Lin. If you don’t stand up in ten seconds, you’re OUT of my class. Get it?” The same deafening voice shook through the whole class, causing me to shake.
Oh wait. It wasn’t the voice that’s causing me to shake, Herena’s shaking me.
Right.
“Wake up, Chelsea.” Herena hissed.
“What?” I answered irritably.
“It’s the tigress’s period now!”
“Omo! Right! It’s the tigress’s period now!” I screamed in shock as I hurriedly stood up.
And then, before I knew it, the whole class was laughing hysterically.
“What’s wrong with them?” I whispered, ”Why the hell are they laughing like that?”
Herena sighed deeply and shook her head tiredly.
Just then, realization hit me.
“Oh shoot!” I mumbled, covering my mouth.
“Chelsea Tan. Come to my room right after this school. Detention for you!”
Oh god. This is bad. This is so, so bad. Everyone knew what detention with Ms. Lim is like.

For the rest of the lesson, I stood there standing, as people shot desperate and mocking looks to me.
“Oh well.” I sighed.
Just as I was about to close my eyelids again, Herena tapped my table and passed me a note.

“Hey, Mrs. Yan. The whole class wants to know what you were doing last night that made you so sleepy today. Didn’t have enough sleep eh? ;D”

The note read.
“Oh please Herena. Of all people, you should know what happened.” I wrote.
“Then why are you so sleepy today?” Herena asked.
“Because his mom gave me, and apparently, him as well, some un-sleeping pills or something.” I answered nonchalantly.
“So she must want a grandson pretty desperately.” Herena teased.
I rolled my eyes.
Before I could answer…
“Herena Low. Stay back for detention as well!”
“What?” Herena protested.
“Detention tomorrow as well.”
Herena groaned.
Ms. Lim’s eyes widened, and Herena shut immediately.
“No wonder she’s still a Miss.” Herena complained.
And I struggled to hold the laughter quite unsuccessfully.
“Chelsea. I see you would like to accompany Ms. Herena for her detention tomorrow.” Ms. Lim asked ever-so sweetly.
I opened my mouth, and was about to say some intelligent stuffs that would make things worse.
I guess Herena’s encounter had taught me to shut my mouth and shake my head instead.
“Well…” Ms. Lim said, upon deciding that my mouth would be closed for the rest of her lesson, she continued.
As she blabbered on, my mind unknowingly wandered to yesterday’s event.
.
.
.
It was the day of our wedding.
The day I am officially Mr. Arron Yan’s wife.
Yes.
It’s Arron Yan the super-sonic famous member from the famous taiwanese boyband Fahrenheit.
He was handsome, as usual, with his tuxedo suit and his hair gelled up.
And I was wearing the big, huge, long white gown that made me look oversized.
But apparently, it looked nice.
Thinking of the jealous stares I earned last night.
Or maybe they were just jealous because Arron’s my husband.
Well. Although not in their definition.
I walked through the red aisle with my father’s hands in mine, feeling his comforting touch.

When Arron took my hand gently from my fathers’, when he lifted the veil to kiss me.
When we both exchanged rings and vows,
when we both held each others’ hands.
I thought these were for real.
His hand was warm but stonic.
His expression was happy, but his eyes were cold and tight.
It seemed so realistic. Yet it wasn’t.
We both knew it was an act.

“Hey. What’s wrong? Tigress’s period’s over!” Herena’s voice brought me back to reality.
“Nothing.” I shook my head.
“Come on…what happened yesterday night?” Herena probed.
“He…he…”
I couldn’t answer. Tears were brought to my eyes.
“Don’t cry…it’s alright…” Herena stoked my hair as she comforted me, “It’s okay if you don’t wna say. It’s alright.”
We stayed in this position as Herena allowed me to calm myself down.
Slowly,
the tears started disappearing.
And then Herena stared into my eyes, waiting for me to speak.

“He…he…sneaked out in the night, after his mom was asleep. He rely at 5 a.m. in the morning, reeking of alcohol and…and…women’s perfume.” I let out, feeling the humiliation rise.
I paused, letting the tears roll down my cheeks
“When he came back, he made 5 rules:” I continued, taking a deep breath.
.
.
.
I heard the sound of the bedroom door opening as I lay on the bed, alone.
“Are you awake?” The velvet voice asked gently.
“Yes.” My voice croaked, for I’ve yet to have spoken for hours.
“Then, let’s make some things clear. I’ve got some rules for you to follow.” He paused to check whether I was following.
And then he continued.
“One, no interfering of each others’ lives. Two, no telling others about our marriage’s lives. Three, you have no right to ask about my love life. Four, no matter whether you like it or not, you’ve to act as a loving couple with me. Lastly, you’re not to fall in love with me. Any questions?”
“To summarize it all, it’s simply, although you are my wife, but I won’t treat you as one.” I thought to myself.
And then to answer his question, I shook my head.
“How about yours. Any restrictions, or anything?” He asked.
“Just the same as yours.” I answered, trying to keep my voice in control.
“Luckily it was dark.” I thought to myself as I moved to one corner of the bed to make space for him, my tears streaming down my cheeks.
I felt the bed sink with Arron’s weight as I fell deeper into sleep.

I tried to ignore the sting in my eyes as I absorbed Herena’s expression.
“But it’s both of yours’ first night!” She exclaimed as softly as she could.
I nodded my head miserably.
“He’s too much, isn’t he?”
I shrugged.
“But, you’ve broken two rules already.”
“Hmm?” I looked up at Herena questionably.
“You, Chelsea Tan, had fallen in love with him. And you, told me about your marriage lives. Isn’t that two rules broken?”
“I disagree with the accusation of me falling in love with him.” I denied.
“Oh please.” Herena said sarcastically, rolling her eyes.
“Really.” I protested. “I cried just now because I felt too humiliated.”

Next was Science lesson, and I tried to stay awake since I really don’t feel like flunking tomorrow’s pop quiz.
“Degrees can be in Celsius and Fahrenheit.”
“Ow. That must hurt.” Herena ‘sympathized’.
“Shut up.” I chided.