Explain Yourself !

Secret Love

 

Ailee’s P.O.V

I stood in front of the mirror, smoothing down my dress. I cringed. My simple, black strapless dress, with the red shoes, lipstick and clutch looked better in my head.

“It looks funny…”

Hyorin cantered towards me, in her one shouldered lacy red dress which hugged every curve.  I felt like a potato next to her glamorous figure. She looked stunning, and here I was… Just plain Ailee.

“Shut up Ailee. It looks fine! We’re going to have fun tonight, that’s the important thing!”

I nodded and headed towards the door, where I found Jr. tapping his foot impatiently.

“YAH! How long do you guys ta-“

He trailed off and grinned.

“I didn’t know you could clean up this nicely,” he joked.

I lightly pushed him and laughed.

“You too, you normally look as if you just jumped out of bed.”

Hyorin trailed behind us as we got into the car, ready to head off to our long awaited social.

                                                                              ***

Soft music played in the background as we were eating and chatting away, reminiscing and looking back at the year that passed. We all couldn’t believe how quickly the year went, and how much had happened this whole time. As I sat back into my seat and just enjoyed the moment, Jr. came and sat himself beside me.

“Ailee”

I turned around and smiled.

“Hey you. Where have you been all night?”

“Here and there, why are you just sitting by yourself?”

“I don’t know. It sort of … calming I guess? I don’t mind it,”

He looked at me skeptically.

“Are you sure? I mean, we’ve all been waiting for this night since the beginning of the year, have fun! Don’t sit by yourself!”

I chuckled. I honestly didn’t mind sitting by myself and letting my mind wander away from all my worries that have built up though out the year.

“I am enjoying myself…” I pouted.

“Really? Are you just purposely sitting by yourself because Daehyun isn’t here?”

I stood up, blushing.

“No! Well… not really… It would be nice if he was here, but I honestly am enjoying myself,” I insisted.

Jr. and I headed towards the balcony, which gave us the perfect view of the city lights. As soon as we stepped out, we were greeted with a light breeze and the crisp, cool air. I shivered, and Jr. put his jacket over my shoulders.

“I can’t believe this year is over already…” I sighed.

“I know. We’ve known each other for, what twelve years?”

I giggled, thinking back to the time when we met – I was running towards a swing at the playground but someone else beat me to the remaining swing. Jr. was on one of the swings, got off and let me play instead.

“Still the gentleman you were back when you let me take your swing.”

He grinned at me and bowed.

“Of course my lady.”

I leaned against the railing and stared up into the sky. If there were about ten times less city lights, we’d be able to see the stars. The calm music from inside changed to dance music, signalling the end of the dinner and food to the beginning of the official party. Jr. turned around, wanting to go in, before turning back to the scenery.

“I know you want to go, just go. It’s nice out here.”

“Really?” He lit up.

I nodded.

He pushed the door open enthusiastically and pretty much leaped back into the room. I stayed for a few moments, enjoying the sound of cars rushing by and the stillness of the night, while the blast of music, muted by the doors, carried on behind me.

When I decided to go back in, Jr. and a group of other people went to the balcony. I quickly handed back his coat and went back to my table. I tried to find Hyorin, but she wasn’t there. The upbeat music then changed to a slow song – My Heart Will Go On, and all the couples headed out to the dance floor. Dancing with Daehyun would be a dream, but of course, he wasn’t here.  

I looked across the room and locked eyes with JB. He cocked his head to the side and motioned towards the dance floor. I smiled and headed towards him. Why not? We were friends, no one would care anyway.

I wrapped my arms around his neck while he placed his hands around my waist, maintaining pretty much an arm’s length distance away from each other. We swayed awkwardly from side to side, trying to go with the music before, to my utmost horror, there was a loud whoop from behind us and a circle began to form around us.

“GET CLOSER!”

“WOOOOOO!”

I looked up at JB, who probably looked embarrassed as I was, and then looked down again, avoiding eye contact with him, my cheeks burning.

“Did you want to stop after the song finishes?” he asked.

I nodded and continued to look down, praying that the song would immediately finish. After what felt like forever, the cheering, the yelling, flashing of cameras and the song stopped. I smiled fleetingly at JB before dashing out to the balcony once more.

“YAH! AILEE! WHAT WAS THAT?!” yelled Jr.

“Explain yourself! You guys looked like you were totally in love with each other!” cried Hyorin, once we were alone on the balcony.

“Guys… it was nothing…” I held my hands to my cheeks, trying to cool them down.

Jiyeon burst in and smiled at me.

“You wished that was Daehyun didn’t you?” she teased.

I giggled, before she linked arms with me and dragged me back inside, leaving Hyorin and Jr. still bewildered.

We headed towards the dessert table with mouth-watering sweet goodness. Perfect. 

 

Author's Note:

Here is the long awaited next chapter, that took months to be posted due to lack of ... not being able to put what I had in mind into words. On top of that crazy amounts of exams and homework *bashes head against keyboard* 
To make up for the lack of updates, I shall be posting a Christmas special very soon! 

Just look at that perfection ^^