Breakfast

Secret Love

 

Ailee’s P.O.V

I dragged myself out of bed, eyes half open, hair in a big bushy mess and leg muscles sore from ice skating yesterday. I forced myself into the bathroom, making myself look presentable before getting dressed for school and heading down to the kitchen.

“OMO! You look so tired!” cried my Mum.

I grabbed the carton of milk out of the fridge and poured it into a bowl. I took it to the table and lifted the spoon to my mouth when I realised I forgot the cereal. I groaned in frustration and just drank the milk out of the bowl, too tired and sore to move unnecessarily.

“You shouldn’t have stayed out so late last night! If I knew you were going to be home after 11, I wouldn’t have let you out!” she scolded.

“I’m fine! I just need food in my system!” I insisted. I grabbed an apple and dragged my feet out the door, where I found Daehyun waiting for me, smiling as brightly as ever.

“How can you be so awake at this hour? It’s too early for anyone to be awake!”

“Ailee… It’s 8am… that’s not early…”

“It is for me… I bought you seaweed soup last night right?”

He nodded.

“Good…Gosh I'm hungry!”

I took a bite out of the juicy green apple while Daehyun made a face.

“How can you like green apples? They're so sour!”

I stuck my tongue out at him.

“They're the best!”

“OH! Before I forget, I’ve got something for you!” he cried, as he pulled out a paper bag from his backpack.

He opened the packet in front of my face and there was a warm chocolate croissant.

“WAH! It looks delicious!”

“It is! I woke up early just to get it nice and hot for you!”

I half hugged him while holding the bag and my apple.

“Aww… thanks!”

I was enjoying my breakfast as we walked into the school before I heard the voices from the two people I had managed to avoid for weeks. I groaned as they came closer and closer.

“DAEHYUN-AH!” she cried.

“Hello Noona, Hyung,” he replied.

I sneaked a glance at Kikwang who looked really annoyed. Well… more like he didn’t want to be here.

“I can’t believe I forgot it was your birthday yesterday! Noona has a present for you!” cried Hyosung as she pulled out a box.

“Oh! You didn’t have to!”

“Only for you Dae!” she smiled. She reached up and patted him on the head before walking off, giving me a glare along the way. I angrily bit down on my croissant and, without knowing, pulled a large section of the paper bag with it.

Daehyun looked at me and started laughing.

“You do realise you’re eating paper?”

I spat out whatever was in my mouth, and there it was, a chunk of the paper bag.

“Do not mention this to anyone!” I threatened.

He sniggered and began to open the present.

“I don’t think anyone’s present can beat yours,” he said casually.

“Of course! Nothing can beat all those memories we made last night!” I joked.

“Mhmm! Especially when you walked into the glass door at the restaurant!” he laughed.

I whacked his arm.

“Anything BUT that! I swear everyone was staring at me as we walked out – so embarrassing!”

“Highlight of the night!” he teased.

I glared at him and he then pulled out a black beanie.

“Oh… I already have one…” he sighed.

“Hey! It’s the thought that counts!”

He shrugged.

“Himchan’s late birthday present then!”

“What are you going to tell her if she sees him wearing it?”

“He liked it so much he bought the same one? What she won’t know won’t hurt her,” he smiled.

I nodded.  I was somewhat relieved that Daehyun was not going to wear the beanie – I’d bet it would look really good on him when it was colder, but it was like she was trying to tell me that she would always be around no matter what. She had Kikwang already and I thought she would leave me alone, but I guess some people don’t have anything better to do.

As we walked into class, Hyosung basically shoved me out of the way in order to ask Daehyun about her present. I closed my eyes and breathed slowly.  I wrinkled my nose then sat down in my seat, eying them from time to time. She was talking to him as if he was the only person in the room. What was she playing at?

“Stop glaring!” came a whisper from my left. I turned around and saw JR.

“I’m not glaring!”

“Yes you are! When you’re looking over at them, it’s obvious that you are! I know you don’t like her, I don’t like her too, but just don’t let her get to you!”

I groaned and glanced over at them again. He was slowly edging away from her, but she just stepped closer to him and kept asking him whether he liked her present or not.

“See, you’re doing it again!”

I whacked JR’s arm.

“I am not!”I insisted.

"What ever you say, Ailee~!"