No...It Can't Be

Secret Love

 

Ailee’s P.O.V

Daehyun and I impatiently walked up the stairs towards our maths classes. One foot after the other, every minute or so because the stairway was tiny and there was a huge group of people in front of us.

“Ahh!”

“What’s wrong?” asked Daehyun.

I explained how I bumped into the wall with my books, which then jabbed me in the ribs – I was such a klutz.

“Are you ok then?” he asked, while putting his arms around my shoulders.

I smiled to myself and nodded.

“Be careful Ailee! What happens if I’m not there to protect you?!” he scolded.

I laughed.

We continued walking like that until we reached the top. As I turned to the right side of the building, I nearly walked straight into Kikwang, whose face hardened as soon as we made eye contact before walking down the stairs. I looked down and cringed. Awkward…

I looked at Daehyun who gave me a cheesy smile and waved, oblivious to what had just happened, before he walked into his classroom and I walked into mine. I sat down in my seat and smiled dreamily.

“AILEE!”

I sat up straight and looked around, trying to figure out who had called my name.

“Yah! I’ve been calling your name about a million times and you never replied – totally brainwashed by Daehyun,” sighed Hyorin.

“Sorry… I’m just a bit out of it… I stayed up until four to do maths homework. I swear Miss Han wants us to go insane from the stack of homework she gives to us everyday…”

“We all feel that way – I swear she doesn’t understand that we have other priorities!”

I nodded.

“Anyway… Do you reckon you and Daehyun would end up dating?”

My cheeks grew hot and I felt so awkward.

“What?!”

“I think you guys will… It seems like he likes you,” she beamed.

I scoffed.

“Well he’s a gentleman and probably treats a lot of other people like that. I’m not going to get my hopes up and then watch it all come crashing down.”

“He likes you Ailee… Just watch me be right!”

I shook my head. Despite wanting it to be true, I somehow still had my doubts.

Kikwang’s P.O.V

I was casually minding my own business, walking to the library when I nearly walked into Ailee and that Daehyun, who had his arm around her. Seriously! Me, then JR and now him, all within a year? What the heck?! Despite being months since our breakup and Hyosung being my “girlfriend” – I swear I don’t know how that happened, I kinda just always saw her as a friend, but started dating her  just to stop her from nagging and insisting we dated and to get Ailee off my mind, but obviously that wasn’t happening. Every time I saw her, she’d be so happy, as if we never dated. I couldn’t believe this.

I glared at her as I walked past. How could she do this so easily and move on so easily when she’s still on my mind? Aish!

I stomped down the stairs and continued walking to the library when I overheard some girls sitting in the hallway gossiping.

“I can’t believe he took your word for it without even going to Ailee to confirm it!”

I stopped in my tracks and moved to a secluded spot where I was sure they wouldn’t see me and kept listening.

“I’m such a genius right? Being his friend for all these years, obviously he’d take my word for it – I know he’d believe every single word I say. If I said pigs could fly, he’d probably take my word for it without proof, just because I'm one of his most trusted friends.”

Were they talking about me? And Ailee?

“What exactly did you tell him again?”

I swear that sounded like Hyosung and one of her friends… I listened on, not knowing what to expect.

“I told him that she and JR kissed, just not when it happened and I left the part out where she was sleeping and she never knew that JR kissed her forehead and said that he hopes she will be happy with Kikwang…”

My heart nearly jumped out of my chest. I was glued to the spot. Anger, betrayal and regret were all I felt. What on earth? All these questions were swimming around in my head. No… I must have mistaken what I heard. I was hearing things… Right? There was no way she could do this to me.

I squeezed my eyes shut and forced myself to take a step around the corner I was concealed behind and faced the people there, praying, hoping that it wasn’t who I think it was. I tentatively opened my eyes and saw them sitting there, staring right back at me. I couldn’t believe it.

“Kikwang, I –“