Restless Year

Jeti Drabbles - May Edition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Reflective, implied established, kinda canon au but not necessarily, mature n wise n wistful jeti, domestic failure, 700~

“The year has treated us well.”

Jessica was doing the dishes after their lunch, gloves up to her elbows and hands deep in soap sud. From their sink, she can see Tiffany lounging in the living room, her body sprawled across their couch and arms falling off the ledge as she stares off to space. 

 

“It’s literally August.”

 

Jessica rolls her eyes even if Tiffany can’t see it. “Yeah, I know, but you know what I mean. So far it’s been.” She pauses to ponder in an articulate manner to convey this contentment and pleasant peace she has found this year harbouring. “Nice.” 

 

“I can’t believe you studied literature,” comes the response. 

 

“Hey! I can’t be smart all the time. I don’t see you using your business degree now either.” 

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Tiffany dismisses, waving a hand. “But I don’t get it. What’s been so great? I mean, we’re not as busy now, but it’s not like that’s a major benefit. Kinda just feels like last year.”

Jessica hums as she contemplates Tiffany’s words. She had started the conversation without much thought, having blurted out the words without realising. So as she picks up another sopping wet plate and scrubs the ridges with the sponge, she lets her thought expand like the soap suds in the sink, rising taller and taller.

 

“It has been similar to last year, maybe, but everything was still fairly new and risky. And the year before that, we couldn’t even imagine where we’d be. All this, it’s still new, isn’t it?” 

 

Jessica doesn’t wonder

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter