Chapter 14

Back Again: Restart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

4 years later...

[Yerin's pov]

I led an entire army back into the capital of Qing. We all dressed in mourning clothes as we slowly walked into the Forbidden City where the Empress Dowager, Emperor and Empress waited on us along with the entire palace. Even the other princes were waiting for us. I was holding onto a baby, the princess Yewon gave birth to five months before she passed on. I closed my eyes as a tear dropped thinking of her death.

'Yewon... we're finally home...'

I looked at the photo Eunhee carried and Yewon's nameplate that Eunha carried. We sadly could not bring back Yewon and Lady Kim's body. Lady Kim's suicide made her known as someone who cared for the Queen. We walked up the steps as we see everyone wearing mourning clothes. From the Emperor to the Empress Dowager. I smiled as Taehyung helped me up the steps. Sana and Soonyoung watched all the children and led them with the help of servants.

"Greetings to the Emperor, Empress Dowager and the Empress."

"Y-yerin quickly get up..."

I stood up from a kneeling position at the Empress Dowager's command. Her servant was trying to support her. I could see some tears in the Emperor's eye even if he did not let them out or sniffle.

"Yewon... my sweet child!"

Zuo supported the Empress Dowager and expressed grief as the other consorts wiped their tears.

"Your Majesty. We brought back the nameplate of Yewon and some things she loved."

He nods, "Let's talk inside her palace."

I nod as we all follow. All the Consorts stood outside with Sana and Soonyoung. I walked in with Yeebin, Yeon, Yeji and Ilmin. Eunha and Eunhee followed behind. The Empress stood next to the Empress Dowager to comfort her as I lowered myself on one knee with the servants kneeling and the children standing.

"Yerin... Thank you for bringing them back."

I lowered my head, "Your Majesty."

The Emperor sighs, "She is the most loved princess. She is my brother's daughter and someone who was given anything. Went on her knees in the rain. Cried and begged to marry him... Did he treat her well?"

I kept mum, "She said this. She will only remember Yoongi, not the King. She said he made her happy and loved her but did not say that love will stay between two souls."

The Empress Dowager sighed, "Are this Yewon's children?"

I smiled as they bowed, "This is Yeon, Crown Prince of Joseon and Ilmin, Crown Prince of Joseon. This baby is the one Yewon gave birth to secretly outside the palace. Her name is Yeji. Yewon's last wish for her child to be wise and knowledgable. This is Yewon's servant in Joseon. She helped Yewon a lot."

Yeebin did a bow, "Our Queen suffered too much... Lady Kim followed her but Her Highness' last request is for someone to protect her kids."

The Emperor nods, "Wumin, get the taels."

Yeebin bows, "Your Majesty, I do not need silver. I owe it to Her Highness. She took me in while I was bullied and made me her personal servant, treated me like a friend. I do not need taels."

I smiled as the Empress Dowager helps her up, "Yeebin, this is our way to thank you for your service for the past 30 years to Yewon."

"Your Majesty, I am willing to serve the princes and princess as a way to repay her."

Royal Uncle smiles and nods, "Alright. How old are you Yeebin?"

She turns and bends her knees, "Your Majesty, I am 30. Her Majesty took me in before she left for the Qing."

"Wumin, send my decree. Servant Yeebin was loyal and served Princess Yewon well. She will be given a new outfit. I make Crown Prince Yeon of Joseon, Fu Junwang and I make he and his siblings into the Min Clan. I make Crown Prince Ilmin of Joseon, Gui Junwang and Princess Yeji, Heshuo Heji Gongju. I posthumously elevate Yewon to the title of Gulun Heshuo Lijia Gongju. I elevate Yerin to the position of Heshuo Gongju, with the title Ci"

I kneel down and make a bow, "I thank you in the stead of the children."

"Rise."

I get up and bend my knees as the Emperor looks at Yewon's potrait.

"Bring the Princess' potrait to the Royal Temple, ask the monks to chant prayers while we host rituals to honour her. Send an order for a three months national mourning and let Yewon's nameplate enter the Royal Shrine."

Wumin bows and leaves the room.

"Bring the children down."

Eunha bends her knees and leads the children out with Eunhee before I stood up.

"Yerin... what is it?"

I kneel down, "I ask for a favour. It is Yewon's last wish for her children to stay outside the palace. She said it's lonely and scary to stay in the palace. She wishes better for them, so they will be free and not forced to do whatever they do not want to do. For them to find love like she did and be with someone they love."

The Empress Dowager stands up, "Yerin... just how much did she suffer?"

I lower my head, "She is a great Queen to Joseon, she maintained her initial feelings for the King. She did all she could to protect the one she love. Lady Somi and Lady Jennie said that she was a great Queen. All the Consorts bowed down to her and remember her after she passed. Even if the Emperor ordered he is not allowed to be honoured, he did not hold court meetings for a few days. A letter came and said that the King sealed Her pavilion in honour of her."

She nods, "He isn't fully heartless..."

"They also found some altar which Jieun had and now she is currently facing a trial. She cursed Yewon to death and even used witchcraft to seduce the King."

Royal Grandmother gripped onto her cushion, "How dare she!"

"Royal Mother, relax." The Empress pats her back.

"Royal Grandmother, indeed she deserves death. But the King made her drink poison, everyday she would have to drink an antidote as she age. Forever she will be made to stay in her Tranquil Pavilion alone, served by the servants who betrayed her."

"That's good."

I nod, "Lady Kim gave up everything and followed Yewon in death, she said that she is regretful to forget the Emperor and Empress' words. She did not protect her well so she stabbed herself to follow Yewon in front of the King."

The Empress turns to the Emperor, "Your Majesty, we should comfort her family..."

He nods, "Grant Lady Kim's family to get 200 silvers and some cloths."

I take out the butterfly dress tassel I wore, "This is Yewon's final gift to Princess Yeji. She has gifted a ring to Yeon and an ink stone to Ilmin."

The Empress Dowager took it and examined it, "This is the dress tassel she wore all her life."

"It is also the gift from the King."

"How- they've never met until their marriage?"

I smiled, "Yewon and Yoongi's story can be written for future descendants to see."

"No wonder..."

The Empress Dowager returns the dress tassel and I wear it again.

"Yerin, hold onto it. Since it is her final wish for Yeji to wear it and a token of love from the King. Keep it and hand it to Yeji once she can walk."

The Emperor sighs, "After Yewon's mourning period, I will ask King Yoongi to come into the palace."

"Yewon will be happy," I nod, "These are all Yewon's favourite items."

Eunha came in with Eunhee who was carrying a jar filled with butterflies, and another wrapped cloth.

"This were the butterflies in her pavilion. I brought some of them back. They seem to never die even in winter."

The Emperor nods, "Release them, let them fly back into the Forbidden City."

"Yes, Your majesty." I open the jar as they flutter around the room before exiting towards the plum blossom trees Yewon had before she left. I looked around the palace .

"Take care of her children well, bring them into the palace frequently."

I nod and get up, bending my knees before I exit the hall. Eunha come up to me and supported me as Yeon, Ilmin, Taemin and Taebi run up to me.

"Sweeties, let's go home."

Yeon looks at me, "Aunt Yerin, are we not going to stay in the palace?"

I smile, "Do you want to?"

He shakes his head, "It's too lonely and scary..."

"Then let's go."

I entered a carriage with Sana and Soonyoung while the kids entered another. Taehyung went to meet Royal Uncle and Grandmother. He needed to report the efforts of Jungkook and Namjoon. We reached the Kim Manor as brother Hoseok, Eunbi and their son, Hoya and daugher Harim came out to greet us. Mina, Tzuyu, Khun and Kyet were there too.

"Sister Yerin!"

I smiled as Mina comes forward with Eunbi and Tzuyu.

"It's been four years."

I turn to Khun who was walking over.

"Khun, you've grown up so much!"

He giggles as the other kids exit the carriage.

"Is this Yewon's prince and princess?"

I smile and nod as Yeebin carries Yeji forward, "This is Yewon's princess. Yeebin is Yewon's caregiver in Joseon alongside Hei..."

We all got solemn as we knew what happened.

"Alright, get inside

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter